The Student Room Group

Tips for organisation for year 13

So I was so unprepared for the amount of organisation I needed for year 12 and it massively set me back workwise because I took up so much time trying to organise stuff etc.
I would like to know how you organise yourself for sixth form i.e. what stationery you have for each subject, how you keep on top of everything etc
I am going to compile a list of everything I need to buy before the end of summer so I can be super organised and ready to actually sort myself out this year!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
I need advise too. :tongue:

I posted in the stationary thread, and the response I got was the best method is to bring 1 A4 ring binder, and use dividers or plastic wallets for each subject. Then put the last month or so's work (maybe a bit longer depending on how long it takes for each module/unit you're currently studying and what you'll need daily) for each subject in that 1 folder and take it to college daily. Then, have a second folder or 2 to at home to archive your notes for each subject every month or so. That way you're not holding too much unnecessarily but at the same time you're still holding enough notes as you need.

I feel like this is a good method that I might adopt, since it manages notes whilst at the same time doesn't require holding 4 bulky folders to college daily. Thoughts?

I find A-Level organisation confusing, since everyone has different thoughts and loads of different ways of organising and I can't find one that isn't too bulky but isn't too little either.
One folder per exam
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
I need advise too. :tongue:

I posted in the stationary thread, and the response I got was the best method is to bring 1 A4 ring binder, and use dividers or plastic wallets for each subject. Then put the last month or so's work (maybe a bit longer depending on how long it takes for each module/unit you're currently studying and what you'll need daily) for each subject in that 1 folder and take it to college daily. Then, have a second folder or 2 to at home to archive your notes for each subject every month or so. That way you're not holding too much unnecessarily but at the same time you're still holding enough notes as you need.

I feel like this is a good method that I might adopt, since it manages notes whilst at the same time doesn't require holding 4 bulky folders to college daily. Thoughts?

I find A-Level organisation confusing, since everyone has different thoughts and loads of different ways of organising and I can't find one that isn't too bulky but isn't too little either.

Yeah sounds kind of like something I want to do but I'd rather do it at the end of the week or something? And I thought taking a notebook to every lesson saves taking home loose sheets of paper to lose. Do you think it would be worth rewriting the notes into a neat notebook or onto pieces of paper to then file away? I would probably prefer to have a notebook to file stuff in and write neatly in because then I can just file sheets in the rest of the folder? And yeah I actually started to get really bad backache from taking in my folders every day and ended up leaving them at school overnight and just taking home the work I needed, not exactly a great idea considering I nearly lost them a couple of times!

Yeah and everyone who's good at it makes it look so simple!

Original post by Magnus Taylor
One folder per exam

I already do this as does everyone else in my year... I mean a bit more in depth than that i.e. above
Original post by liquity
Yeah sounds kind of like something I want to do but I'd rather do it at the end of the week or something? And I thought taking a notebook to every lesson saves taking home loose sheets of paper to lose. Do you think it would be worth rewriting the notes into a neat notebook or onto pieces of paper to then file away? I would probably prefer to have a notebook to file stuff in and write neatly in because then I can just file sheets in the rest of the folder? And yeah I actually started to get really bad backache from taking in my folders every day and ended up leaving them at school overnight and just taking home the work I needed, not exactly a great idea considering I nearly lost them a couple of times!

Yeah and everyone who's good at it makes it look so simple!

I already do this as does everyone else in my year... I mean a bit more in depth than that i.e. above

End of week is good too, just manage it however suits you. :smile: For some courses like Maths I think weekish makes more sense, but some like English and History I'd do a month. Whatever suits you, there's no rule after all!

That sounds like a great method, I'd do this but I'm personally too lazy so would only do that for revision. I wouldn't have the motivation to have to always write out my notes again and I'm sure you'll get tired of it eventually surely. I like using notebooks, and would, if it wasn't for how many damn extracts we're given. :frown: I wouldn't be able to just file the extracts, they'll get lost and I wouldn't know which go with which in the end.

Yeah holding 3/4 folders is just hell, hated it so much.

I'm pretty sure the 1 binder > archiving method is what'll work for me. I haven't heard of any better methods that suit me so far.
Reply 6
End of week is good too, just manage it however suits you. :smile: For some courses like Maths I think weekish makes more sense, but some like English and History I'd do a month. Whatever suits you, there's no rule after all!

That sounds like a great method, I'd do this but I'm personally too lazy so would only do that for revision. I wouldn't have the motivation to have to always write out my notes again and I'm sure you'll get tired of it eventually surely. I like using notebooks, and would, if it wasn't for how many damn extracts we're given. :frown: I wouldn't be able to just file the extracts, they'll get lost and I wouldn't know which go with which in the end.

Yeah holding 3/4 folders is just hell, hated it so much.

I'm pretty sure the 1 binder > archiving method is what'll work for me. I haven't heard of any better methods that suit me so far.

I do the 3 sciences and geography so I don't have to worry about extracts etc! And yeah I know I will get tired of it but once I get into the habit it might be okay?
I'm planning on taking one big folder with loose paper into college, and then a separate notebook at home per subject to re-write notes each day (if I actually have time to do this - I didn't do AS at college so I'm not sure) and another two folders to store away class notes after each topic is finished. I think that might work.
Original post by liquity
I do the 3 sciences and geography so I don't have to worry about extracts etc! And yeah I know I will get tired of it but once I get into the habit it might be okay?

I've never done Sciences at A-Level (only Science A-Levels I do are Computer Science and Maths) but looking back at the GCSE Science days and my GCSE Geog days I got a hell of a lot of extracts, especially for Science surely you must get loads mainly for Chem? :tongue:

But yeah if you don't get many extracts, I'd just use the notebook method on the onset (rather than write it out in a notebook after class, write it in a notebook in the first place in class). :smile: That's what I'd do, but can't because in History we get an extract practically every lesson. I really, really like that method personally.

Well do it for the first month and see how you're finding it, if it works for you keep doing it, otherwise just stop doing it!
My method:

Have 1 folder which I put everything from school in. At the end of the week, I empty that folder out into other folders, one assigned to each subject/exam.

Seems to be a common one, judging from the other posts. :colondollar: To be fair, by the end of the year the system had devolved into having a 2-foot high pile of random sheets and notes on my desk. Sorting it all out (read: binning most of it) was very satisfying, though. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I've never done Sciences at A-Level (only Science A-Levels I do are Computer Science and Maths) but looking back at the GCSE Science days and my GCSE Geog days I got a hell of a lot of extracts, especially for Science surely you must get loads mainly for Chem? :tongue:

But yeah if you don't get many extracts, I'd just use the notebook method on the onset (rather than write it out in a notebook after class, write it in a notebook in the first place in class). :smile: That's what I'd do, but can't because in History we get an extract practically every lesson. I really, really like that method personally.

Well do it for the first month and see how you're finding it, if it works for you keep doing it, otherwise just stop doing it!

My chemistry teacher barely gives anything out, other classes at my school get them but my teacher doesn't like it :P

Yeah the only reason I want to go over them again is to make sure I fully understand and make them neater than if they were made in class! But yeah history I can understand :smile:
personally, i had a lever arch file for each subject at home and would write on loose paper and store it in an accordian file. Id take my accordian file to school everyday and transfer the notes from the accordian to thelever arch once we'd finished the topic of work my notes were on. that way, i wasnt carrying 4 folders around with notes I wouldnt use at school and i still had notes to refer back to on me. I started off with notebooks but we had different teachers that taught different bits of the course at the same time for each subject so my notes were jumbled in a notebook
Original post by liquity
So I was so unprepared for the amount of organisation I needed for year 12 and it massively set me back workwise because I took up so much time trying to organise stuff etc.
I would like to know how you organise yourself for sixth form i.e. what stationery you have for each subject, how you keep on top of everything etc
I am going to compile a list of everything I need to buy before the end of summer so I can be super organised and ready to actually sort myself out this year!

Depends what subjects you are taking. The level of organisation and preparation is dependant on weather you are taking science based subjects such as physics or maths or essay based subjects such as history?
Just remember to date, title, and number every sheet of paper so that when it comes to organising loose bits of paper you don't mentally slap yourself like I did in yr 12. This is especially important once you start ripping bits of paper out of your book during revision.

I would recommend also focusing on organising your notes by exam. You can often fit two exams in a lever arch, hence you'd have 1 English folder split into two sections, exam A and exam B. Sub-spit each exam by section; poetry, plays, novels etc. placing your notes wherever they belong. Notes that cover broad themes etc. go at the very front of all of your notes in that section, i.e. the pastoral. This ties together all the subsections that come after.

Hope that makes sense.
Also, keep loose papers / handouts kept within a folder of some sort so that they don't get battered and you don't lose track of them. Again, make sure they are numbered, titled, and dated.
Reply 15
Original post by HItchslapped
Depends what subjects you are taking. The level of organisation and preparation is dependant on weather you are taking science based subjects such as physics or maths or essay based subjects such as history?

All science based subjects, idk if geography is a science based?
Original post by liquity
All science based subjects, idk if geography is a science based?

could I ask what subjects specifically?
Reply 17
Original post by HItchslapped
could I ask what subjects specifically?

3 sciences and geography. I'll let you know the way I've done it in year 12 and I'll explain why it didn't work. Basically I had 4 lever-arch folders (I'm not that much of an idiot to not have a folder for each subject) and I basically took those into school every day according to what lessons I had. This was not only painful for me to carry around, I often was too lazy to clip sheets in so they would often fall out etc. I took a pad of paper around with me and wrote class notes on this paper not very neatly or trying very hard because I rarely revise from my class notes because I hate how disorganised I do them because I don't have the time to make them neater. This is why I think it would be more beneficial for me to keep my lever arch files at home instead of lugging them to school every day full of 95% of stuff I'm not going to need that day and spend a few minutes each evening taking in the sheets I'm going to need in a plastic wallet in an A4 notebook for each lesson so all my notes are still there, I will take my homework in and the sheets a teacher may call on in the next couple of days?
Original post by liquity
My chemistry teacher barely gives anything out, other classes at my school get them but my teacher doesn't like it :P

Yeah the only reason I want to go over them again is to make sure I fully understand and make them neater than if they were made in class! But yeah history I can understand :smile:

Ah, you're lucky then!

Great idea, guess that's a plan then. :tongue:

Judging from other posts I think I'm going to do the 1 folder thing too since it's the best method and the one everyone else is doing. Just won't be doing the notebook method you're doing until revision, but it's a great plan if it works for you.

No more 4 huge ass folders, few!
print off the specification for each subject, so you have a clear overview of each unit and in which order you will cover them in class

Quick Reply

Latest