MA Translation (Distance) - University of Birmingham or University of Bristol? Watch

JVMtheTranslator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello to you all. I am Josh. I am a 27-year-old American freelance Spanish-to-English translator who has lived in Mexico for the past few years. I majored in history as an undergrad, but my love of languages has led me into the field of translation.

Anyway, I've decided that it is time for me to pursue a master's program. I've also decided that I will limit myself to distance learning programs owing to the lack of Spanish-to-English translation programs here in Mexico (it seems that, for obvious reasons, there are only English-to-Spanish programs). Taking those factors into account, I've applied for the distance learning master's programs of two UK schools, the University of Birmingham and the University of Bristol. The first has already accepted me, and I feel good about my prospects with the other. I want to know if anyone has any experience with the translation programs of either of these schools, be it first hand or second hand.

I should also clarify that I want to choose a program that lets me develop my abilities within my passion of literary translation (I'm particularly interested in translating 19th century Spanish novels into English that have never been translated into English) while also allowing me to build practical skills that will enable me to make a good living in my field (literary translation is very rarely sustainable as a career, so it is necessary to have at least one commercially viable translation specialization, e.g. law or the pharmaceutical industry).

If you would like to ask me anything more about what I've written, I would be happy to answer you. I look forward to your responses!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both Unis are excellent, well established and with strong reputations for a wide variety of subjects.
So it really comes down to which course you prefer and which optional units etc make most sense given your own interests/career aims.
JVMtheTranslator
Rep:
?
Thanks for your response! Yeah, I noticed that they both have high reputations and that they have similar histories as red-brick universities. One thing I noticed is that the Bristol application was more demanding than the Birmingham one, with the former requiring a diagnostic essay on a debate question about translation and a test translation and an explanation for how one went about it. The only write-up required from Birmingham was my personal statement. So, with all that, I wonder if Bristol's program is more rigorous.
JVMtheTranslator
Rep:
?
Any other comments about these two universities and, if possible, their (distance learning) translation programs?
JVMtheTranslator
Rep:
?
I've been accepted to both programs. I am strongly leaning towards Bristol's program, but I would like to know if anyone has any last-minute comments. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads