The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tibbz2
That's actually not true as far as I'm aware, out of my class of 16 Further Maths students only 2 went into maths at uni!

Were you one of the two?
Reply 21
Original post by vd12345
Were you one of the two?

Nope :tongue: I'm off to do Physics, so not too far from maths to be fair.
this sounds interesting but how will it actually work?
Reply 23
Original post by Palette
this sounds interesting but how will it actually work?

I don't quite get your question
Reply 24
Original post by Tibbz2
Nope :tongue: I'm off to do Physics, so not too far from maths to be fair.

What uni are you going to? :biggrin:
Ahh, i like maths, hate physics?
Original post by vd12345
I don't quite get your question

I mean how do you revise Maths together? Maths is more solving questions than pure memory.
Original post by vd12345

Are you planning to apply to Oxford/Cambridge?
You'd learn 5 times more practicing questions by yourself than texting in a group......
Reply 28
Original post by Palette
I mean how do you revise Maths together? Maths is more solving questions than pure memory.

Strictly speaking, we wouldn't really revise together, in the sense that we're not regurgitating maths formulaes. Its more of a group to help keep each other motivated, and help each other with questions we find difficult.
Reply 29
Original post by Palette
Are you planning to apply to Oxford/Cambridge?

Yeah, wbu?
Original post by vd12345
Strictly speaking, we wouldn't really revise together, in the sense that we're not regurgitating maths formulaes. Its more of a group to help keep each other motivated, and help each other with questions we find difficult.

As much as I'd like to join, my parents would tell me that I'll get distracted and stuff like that.
Reply 31
Original post by Vanilla Poison
You'd learn 5 times more practicing questions by yourself than texting in a group......

Whilst this is true, people may need help now and then. Also, you'd learn faster if people explain to you concepts which you do not understand. Yes, you could take the time to figure out the answer yourself, but sometimes you just need someone to put you in the right direction.
Original post by vd12345
Yeah, wbu?

If my GCSEs are really good but if I scrape AA in Maths and Further Maths (as AS Levels for other subjects are no longer held by my school since the government decoupled them from A Levels), then maybe I'll take a shot at Oxford, given that Oxford doesn't ask for AS UMS.

If my GCSEs aren't so good but I get really high UMS scores for AS Maths and Further Maths, maybe I'll take a shot for Cambridge instead of Oxford.

If it's neither of the above, I'll still be satisified with applying to other top universities.\

The reason why I asked is that if you hate Physics, you may not enjoy the Cambridge maths course, which has stuff on special relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. Oxford's maths course can be described as more 'pure' than Cambridge in the first and second years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by vd12345

Uni of Nottingham :smile:

It's funny how my uni aspirations changed over time. It started with Cambridge, then I became ill, so i settled with durham, then didn't like durham as much as nottingham :tongue:

To be fair over A Levels I preferred maths 100% to physics, which is worrying :lol:
Original post by Tibbz2
That's actually not true as far as I'm aware, out of my class of 16 Further Maths students only 2 went into maths at uni!

That's not generally the case.
Original post by Vanilla Poison

And what if you get stuck on a question Vanilla?? What will you learn then?
Original post by Palette
As much as I'd like to join, my parents would tell me that I'll get distracted and stuff like that.

You need permission from your parents to join a kik group? :lolwut:
Original post by AnonPosters
You need permission from your parents to join a kik group? :lolwut:

Technically no, but my mum would probably confiscate my phone for not revising.
Reply 38
Honestly it is better to set up an AS maths 2016 thread in the maths forums than setup a group chat.
It is easier to keep track of a thread and its also easier to go back and check older posts. If someone gets stuck on the same question as someone else did, you could just link the help post to that person rather than scrolling up like crazy or explaining it again. The OP could contain useful links too, and with a thread a lot more people can join including those teachers on the maths forums.
Original post by Palette
Technically no, but my mum would probably confiscate my phone for not revising.

I don't see what the big deal is (unless you have a history of wasting time/procrastinating). It's just like TSR you can use it to do work or you can use it to waste time.

Latest