Turn on thread page Beta

Attack on Bloodhound watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, my problem is though that one of my teachers who teaches me economics and business subjects really dislikes me, and predicted me low grades, and is going on record as agianst my going to oxford. Also, my GCSEs were pretty bad for an Oxford application.

Phil

They are ranked 24th in the Comp. Sci. table which is good but not particularly spectacular. Their destinations stat is the same as such fine institutions as Napier.

Dispite this underperformance they insist on demanding incredibly good grades which would also get you into Warwick (ranked 4th).

How can they justify wanting the same grades as a Warwick when they are no where near as good at the course (accoring to rankings).

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it means they must have a large number of applicants, and need to use high grades to ration out places.

Phil

I would normally have applied their but after recieving the communications from them informing me of their requirements, I think they can be added to my list of Universities I will not apply to on principle.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

Phil

I really don't know if I want to do Comp.Sci or Politics at University (I change my mind pretty much daily).

Does anyone else really want to do 2 seperate completely unrelated subjects??

I know that I could take a course which offers both (40% + 60%) but there are very few Uni's that actually offer these two and there are about 2 which I would consider going to. Would it be frowned upon to apply for a course which combines 2 totally different subjects???

ReputationRep:
    It could make writng your personal statement on your UCAS form kinda confusing, as apparently Unis want to see you're committed to the subject you're applying for, which if you talk about politics, and computer sciences, in the same text, it might look as if you're undecided, and not commited to that certain subject.

Phil

I know and that is why Im trying to get myself sorted out before it comes to actually writing the Personal Statement. I will probably do Comp. Sci. but I love politics also and ARRGGGHHHH!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you want to do after uni?

Phil

Realistically I would say that my best career would be in computing ( thats the thing Im best at) but I don't really know yet. I figure that if I do Comp. Sci. it will keep my options very much open because you can go in many directs with it. However if I did politics, there are only so many things you can do. I know that there is a great deal of money in computing but I also know that you can make a great deal of it in politics also, thefore the money aspect doesn't really apply.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I'd say, is that the politics degree would show ability to form concise arguements, debate a point, and think clearly etc. Also, the computer market is in a poor state, and loads of people are getting laid off in the industry, so be careful.

Phil

The computer industry is NOT in crisis!!! Do not buy into that crap that the media keep spouting about the "saturation of the market", what they are refering to is the more semi-skilled sector of the industry. They seem to think that the computer industry consists of the the commercial sector and NOTHING else. If you look at the growth of the rest of the industry it is fairly healthy.

I think I will end up doing Comp. Sci. because I suppose that I should be doing something that I am best at, although if that were true then would be copying software from some underground lair in China.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry m8, wasn't trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help. Sounds to me though like you've made your decision, and want to do computer sci., judging by the way you argued its case, and if that don't work go to china.

Phil

I would be tempted to go to China to live in the communist paradise that is Bei Jing except for the whole "you must eat raw fish thing".

I have made up my mind (for today - will be different in the morning).

ReputationRep:
    How about singapore, that's meant to be full of hackers and software pirates. anyway, I'm off home early today, and am going now (Hurray), so I'll be on again either tonight or more likely tommorrow, same time, same place, for another day of surfing this forum, whilst pretending to work.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you all get where you want to go...
    but if you don't (ofcourse you'll be dissapointed but-) it's not the end of the world...you'll prob enjoy it wherever you go...*here comes another tale of my family *sigh**
    -my mum got great O levels (or whatever they used to be) and had an offer from oxford but ended up suprising everyone with really bad grades at A Level. She got into Warwick through clearing (it wasn't the great uni it is now back then...) she met my dad (still together) there and friends she still has today aswell as getting a reasonably good degree...
    ...so children, the moral of the story is if you don't get the grades- 'insert traditional 'not end of world' speech to suit'... .

As I say, best wishes and hope you get the grades.

Egan

To be honest I really couldn't care if I go to Oxford or Sunderland (no insult intended to University of Sunderland). At the end of the day I can think of things that I want much more than a bit of paper telling me that I am clever.

ReputationRep:
    I keep reading posts of yours and the reply I consider posting is always the same...

so this is an overal

'good for you!' *so tempted to add a cheesy 'sonny' to that*

saves me repeating myself

Egan

Possibly the funniest thing I have heard all day (I fiind this very worrying and think I should stop work and go out immediately).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.