The Student Room Group

[need advice] Returning to uni, dropped out

Hey guys,

In September 2012 I started a BSc Games Design course. After two years on the course I decided that it wasn't for me and dropped out due to depression, I have now decided that I want to pursue a career in computer science and have found a course. However as I have already had funding for two years is this possible? Will I have to pay for my last year? If so does it have to be payed in full?
Reply 1
You'll have to pay for the majority of the first year yourself - including tuition fees - with only a small Maintenance Loan. Your full Student Finance entitlement will be given for your second and third years.

However, if you can prove that your depression caused you to drop out last time (letter from a GP/counsellor etc explaining how your problems impacted your ability to study) then you can apply for SF's Compelling Personal Reasons. If that application is accepted, you can claw back one year of your SF entitlement and you'll have enough to fund all of the years of a new degree.
Original post by Klix88
You'll have to pay for the majority of the first year yourself - including tuition fees - with only a small Maintenance Loan. Your full Student Finance entitlement will be given for your second and third years.

However, if you can prove that your depression caused you to drop out last time (letter from a GP/counsellor etc explaining how your problems impacted your ability to study) then you can apply for SF's Compelling Personal Reasons. If that application is accepted, you can claw back one year of your SF entitlement and you'll have enough to fund all of the years of a new degree.

Do you know if it has to be paid in full before starting the course?

Thankyou I will look into this now.
Original post by Hellothereyou
Do you know if it has to be paid in full before starting the course?

Thankyou I will look into this now.

What happens when fees have to be paid directly is entirely up to the university, whether they all have to be paid up front or whether they would be willing to work out a payment plan is entirely up to the university.

However, as above, you should be eligible to be funded for your first year with CPR evidence. It helps if your previous university knows why you dropped out, and you can get a letter from them confirming this. If not then a GP letter can be enough on its own. The combination of a GP letter and a letter from your previous university is best.

If you're applying for the 15/16 academic year I recommend you fill out your application online now - you can submit your application and start the process while you're still waiting on the evidence to send.

Original post by Klix88
You'll have to pay for the majority of the first year yourself - including tuition fees - with only a small Maintenance Loan.

The Maintenance Loan isn't reduced for an unfunded year - in fact, in some cases it can actually increase because there is no corresponding Maintenance Grant reduction. Of course that won't apply for 16/17 since there are no Maintenance Grants anymore, but the new higher Maintenance Loans will be available to anyone on an unfunded year.
Reply 4
Original post by applicationa
The Maintenance Loan isn't reduced for an unfunded year - in fact, in some cases it can actually increase because there is no corresponding Maintenance Grant reduction. Of course that won't apply for 16/17 since there are no Maintenance Grants anymore, but the new higher Maintenance Loans will be available to anyone on an unfunded year.

Sorry, I should have specified. I meant in that situation you'd get the minimum Maintenance Loan, which would be non-means tested and so unaffected by household income related adjustments.

Whether this year or next year, it's unlikely to cover living costs for a year. I guess that's probably the most important detail.
Original post by Klix88
Sorry, I should have specified. I meant in that situation you'd get the minimum Maintenance Loan, which would be non-means tested and so unaffected by household income related adjustments.

Whether this year or next year, it's unlikely to cover living costs for a year. I guess that's probably the most important detail.

Maintenance Loan can still be means tested for an otherwise unfunded year.
Reply 6
I made an application to go back this year also after dropping out of second year a few years back. I spoke to SFE 3 days ago to ask about this they told me I was entitled to 2 years financing for my 1st and 2nd year, I would have to find my final year myself. I think it may depend on your application & course etc. better off talking to them on the phone as they'll be able to access all your information 😊
Original post by Phe-star
I made an application to go back this year also after dropping out of second year a few years back. I spoke to SFE 3 days ago to ask about this they told me I was entitled to 2 years financing for my 1st and 2nd year, I would have to find my final year myself. I think it may depend on your application & course etc. better off talking to them on the phone as they'll be able to access all your information 😊

Whoever you were talking to has given you the incorrect advice, unfortunately.

It is your 2nd and your final year that you would get funding for. You would only get Maintenance Loan for your first year. It is always subtracted from the beginning of the course, not the ends.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by applicationa
Whoever you were talking to has given you the incorrect advice, unfortunately.

It is your 2nd and your final year that you would get funding for. You would only get Maintenance Loan for your first year. It is always subtracted from the beginning of the course, not the ends.

Really, that is bizarre as I thought it was 2nd & 3rd year funding all along. I will chase this up with them! Thank for your help.
Original post by Phe-star
Really, that is bizarre as I thought it was 2nd & 3rd year funding all along. I will chase this up with them! Thank for your help.

You must have been speaking with a temp, it's always the beginning of the course, there's never any exception to this. Even though it's mentioned multiple times in training, some of them still don't get it...
Yeah, I was told they always work backwards too.

Quick Reply

Latest