The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

what is the degree weighting in cardiffmet for second and third year percentages??

what is the percentages for second and third year degree

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure if it differs depending on course, I do Events Management at Cardiff Met and the 2nd year is worth 30% and 3rd year is worth 70%
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website
Hello

Thank you for your question!

From June 2015, the weighting changed to the following:

70% of the best 100 credits at level 6 (final year)
and
30% of the best 100 credits from level 5 (second year) and the remaining level 6 credits

Each year is made up of 120 credits, *usually* across 5 modules (20 credits a module); final year dissertation worth 2 modules and some courses do offer 10 credit modules.

So basically, 70% of your overall grade would be taken from the best five modules in your final year, and 30% of you overall grade would be taken from the best five modules of your second year and remaining 1 module from your final year.

I hope this makes sense! If not, let me know :smile:

Regards

Robert
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi in second year there were only 4 modules worth 20 and the rest were ten. For the fifth module would it be a ten credit module or two together ?
Original post by Harriet r lon
Hi in second year there were only 4 modules worth 20 and the rest were ten. For the fifth module would it be a ten credit module or two together ?

Hi Harriet

For which course is this?

Thanks

Robert
Hi,
Business management with HRM.
Thanks
Hi Harriet

For the second year of the BA (Hons) Business and Management with Human Resource Management course the compulsory modules for all pathways are worth a combined total of 80 credits (3 x 20 credit modules and 2 x 10 credit modules), then the pathway specific modules are worth a combined total of 40 credits (2 x 20 credit modules), a total of 120 credits.

In the case of BA (Hons) Business and Management with Human Resource Management, the two 20 credit modules would be Employment Relations and HRM in Context.

So in total, your course structure would be:
Compulsory Modules:

Contemporary Issues in Political Economy (20 credits)

Business Operations and Improvement (20 credits)

Business in Action (20 credits)

Summer Experience of Work with Personal Development Planning (PDP) ​(10 credits)

Research Methods for Business (10 credits)

Pathway specific HRM modules:

Employment Relations (20 credits)

HRM in Context (20 credits)

Let me know if this makes sense, if not I can try and clear it up for you further :smile:

Thanks!

Robert
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cardiff Metropolitan University
Hello

From June 2015, the weighting changed to the following:

70% of the best 100 credits at level 6 (final year)
and
30% of the best credits from level 5 (second year) and the remaining level 6 credits

Hi,
My question would be that are we only allowed to drop the worst 20 credits in third year or both third and second? so 40 credits overall?
Original post by Daveoves
Hi,
My question would be that are we only allowed to drop the worst 20 credits in third year or both third and second? so 40 credits overall?

Hi Daveoves

Thanks for the question.

No, the worst performing 20 credits from your second year will not be included in your overall grade.

The worst performing 20 credits from your third year will make up the lost 20 credits from your second year.

Here is an example of a (made up) student and their grades:

Final year modules (20 credits each):
Module A: 70%
Module B: 65%
Module C: 60%
Module D: 60%
Module E: 55%

The final year is worth 70% of your overall degree from the best performing 100 credits (in this case Modules A-D), so Module E would not be included. The average mark calculated from modules A,B,C & D would therefore be 63.75%.

Second year modules (20 credits each):
Module 1: 75%
Module 2: 70%
Module 3: 65%
Module 4: 65%
Module 5: 55%

The second year is worth 30% of your overall degree from the best performing 100 credits (in this case Modules 1-4), plus the worst performing credits of the final year (Module E).The worst performing 20 credits of the second year (Module 5) does not count. The average mark calculated from second year modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and final year module E would therefore be 66%.

This would mean you achieve a total of 64.425% overall in your degree, or a 2:1.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Robert
(edited 8 years ago)
The calculation to figure out your final grade is:

(final year percentage x 0.7) + (second year percentage x 0.3)

So for the above example:

(63.75 x 0.7) + (66 x 0.3) = 64.425%

Thanks

Rob
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
What about architectural design and technology?
Original post by ndaly
What about architectural design and technology?

Hi ndaly

The same rule applies :smile:

Thanks

Robert
Hi ndaly

The same rule applies :smile:

Thanks

Robert

Hello. :smile: Do degree classifications get bumped up if the overall results are borderline? For example would someone with a 68-69% or 58-59% still obtain a first class or 2.1 honours degree respectively for their overall degree classification?
In other words.. Is Cardiff Met lenient when it comes to final degree classifications? Thanks!
Original post by BiomedBiomed
In other words.. Is Cardiff Met lenient when it comes to final degree classifications? Thanks!

At my uni (derby) and degree (jhs) i have been told that there is a two percent margin on a grade, assuming i get 3 grades of that or higher, so for example with me getting a 2.2, and already having had a couple of high firsts over my second and third years, that gives me some room for leeway, if i do well on my final dissertation? Touch wood i will.

ps it is 20/80% on this degree!
Original post by john2054
At my uni (derby) and degree (jhs) i have been told that there is a two percent margin on a grade, assuming i get 3 grades of that or higher, so for example with me getting a 2.2, and already having had a couple of high firsts over my second and third years, that gives me some room for leeway, if i do well on my final dissertation? Touch wood i will.

ps it is 20/80% on this degree!

Thanks for the reply! Oh God, I hope so! :smile: Xxx
Original post by Nergis
Thanks for the reply! Oh God, I hope so! :smile: Xxx

at your uni it may be different though, it could be 30/70, 40/60 or even 50/50. It is best to contact your uni to check. Also i'm not sure that the 2% rule is across the board, or only at Derby??
Could you please provide us the Cardiff Met University website link mentioning the same rule?

Thank in advance.

Regards

Abhir
Hi

How do I work out the average of my second year, although now I am In my final year. Purpose of asking this is how much do I need to get a 2:1 or above!
My second year results are 62,72,68,58,60,49 all of them are 20 credits! My final year has 1 dissertation worth 40 credits out of 120 and the rest 20 credits out of 5 modules (final year). The 6th module obviously counts from my second year. I want to know how much do I need to get at least a 2.1 or a first if someone can work it out please reply back as soon as possible so at least then it will my motive to work as hard as I can in my final part of the degree... so how much do I need this year from the results from my second year! An average of?
Thanks
Hi Daveoves

Thanks for the question.

No, the worst performing 20 credits from your second year will not be included in your overall grade.

The worst performing 20 credits from your third year will make up the lost 20 credits from your second year.

Here is an example of a (made up) student and their grades:

Final year modules (20 credits each):
Module A: 70%
Module B: 65%
Module C: 60%
Module D: 60%
Module E: 55%

The final year is worth 70% of your overall degree from the best performing 100 credits (in this case Modules A-D), so Module E would not be included. The average mark calculated from modules A,B,C & D would therefore be 63.75%.

Second year modules (20 credits each):
Module 1: 75%
Module 2: 70%
Module 3: 65%
Module 4: 65%
Module 5: 55%

The second year is worth 30% of your overall degree from the best performing 100 credits (in this case Modules 1-4), plus the worst performing credits of the final year (Module E).The worst performing 20 credits of the second year (Module 5) does not count. The average mark calculated from second year modules 1, 2, 3, 4 and final year module E would therefore be 66%.

This would mean you achieve a total of 64.425% overall in your degree, or a 2:1.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Robert

Is there any room given for under achievers? So for example at Derby on my degree, there was a 2% grace room given, so that even if you got 58% overall, this was still granted a 2.1 . Is there anything like this at Cardiff, out of interest?

Quick Reply