The Student Room Group

St. George's University of London Medicine applicants 2016 ENTRY

A thread for any medicine applicants for St. George's to discuss relevant A level, UKCAT and interview info :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
seems like the requirements for graduates have changed a little. from next year graduates for the 5 and 4 year course will be ranked on a 50:50 combination of degree classification and UKCAT. this should bring the UKCAT entrance scores down a bit.
I really wanted to apply here but they don't allow gcse resits :frown:
Hey! I'm thinking of applying.. Anyone know about their interview process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phagocyte1998
A thread for any medicine applicants for St. George's to discuss relevant A level, UKCAT and interview info :smile:

Hi I am applying here this September do you think 5A* 3A 1B 1C (c being in graphics and B at english language) and 4 A at as as well as 740 ukcat avg be competitive enough for sgul? also what grades do you all have?
Reply 5
Original post by medicapplicant98
Hi I am applying here this September do you think 5A* 3A 1B 1C (c being in graphics and B at english language) and 4 A at as as well as 740 ukcat avg be competitive enough for sgul? also what grades do you all have?

I'm hopefully applying here aswell.
Well done on your AS grades and your UKCAT is a great score, you shouldn't worry about that aha :smile:
For my GCSEs I got 4 A*s 3 As and 1 B, 4 As at AS and 660 Ukcat overall(do you think my UKCAT score is okay to apply here btw :tongue: )
I'm struggling of thinking of other Unis I should apply to, because I'm a little concerned that my UKCAT score isn't great. Where else are you thinking of applying to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
I'm hopefully applying here aswell.
Well done on your AS grades and your UKCAT is a great score, you shouldn't worry about that aha :smile:
For my GCSEs I got 4 A*s 3 As and 1 B, 4 As at AS and 660 Ukcat overall(do you think my UKCAT score is okay to apply here btw :tongue: )
I'm struggling of thinking of other Unis I should apply to, because I'm a little concerned that my UKCAT score isn't great. Where else are you thinking of applying to??

Posted from TSR Mobile

your ukcat should be fine afaik, what was your b in and im also applying to exeter plymouth and manchester. you should be alright applying to exeter and plymouth. how much work experience and voluntary work did you do. what extra curriculars did you do?
Reply 7
Hi,I am a Medicine hopeful who got 3A* 4A 1Distinction and 1.5 B for GCSE and AABC for AS ( b and c very few marks off the next grade so will be remarking/retaking) I also got 607.5 avg, 2430 overall score for my UKCAT so do I have a chance of getting into Medical school?Kind regards
Reply 8
can you add a poll so that people applying to sgul can say what ukcat score they got?

Original post by phagocyte1998
Reply 9
Original post by medicapplicant98
your ukcat should be fine afaik, what was your b in and im also applying to exeter plymouth and manchester. you should be alright applying to exeter and plymouth. how much work experience and voluntary work did you do. what extra curriculars did you do?

Your choices sound good :smile: I got a B in german lol. I've done a fair amount of work xp and volunteering:
1 week at a district hospital shadowing the cardiology department
1 week at my local GP, did a combination if shadowing and admin work
I volunteered for 11 months at a care home, and I used to volunteer and help coach younger children football at my old primary school for about 6 months.

For extra curricular I've mainly played sports aha. I did complete my DofE bronze in year 11. I played for my school and local club football team during secondary school.
Wbu??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
Your choices sound good :smile: I got a B in german lol. I've done a fair amount of work xp and volunteering:
I volunteered for 11 months at a care home, and I used to volunteer and help coach younger children football at my old primary school for about 6 months.

For extra curricular I've mainly played sports aha. I did complete my DofE bronze in year 11. I played for my school and local club football team during secondary school.
Wbu??

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have 5 weeks of work experience in a hospital and gp and i volunteered for 5 months at a charity shop and 8 months at a care home. for extra curriculars i played tennis, was on the debating team, took part in buddy scheme,deputy head boy, head of charity schemes and ncs.
Original post by DDan123

Wbu??

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you have a general idea about sgul interview process, i've heard it is very hard as they interview anyone who meets minimum requirements.
Reply 12
Hey, I did the SGUl MMI process last year. All my interviewers were very friendly an helpful, and it definitely felt like they wanted you to do well. Dont stress too much about interviewing because nerves alone can defeat you. If you just be yourself and answer honestly that will show.
Original post by Testmed
Hey, I did the SGUl MMI process last year. All my interviewers were very friendly an helpful, and it definitely felt like they wanted you to do well. Dont stress too much about interviewing because nerves alone can defeat you. If you just be yourself and answer honestly that will show.

thanks for the reply:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Jabruq
Hi,I am a Medicine hopeful who got 3A* 4A 1Distinction and 1.5 B for GCSE and AABC for AS ( b and c very few marks off the next grade so will be remarking/retaking) I also got 607.5 avg, 2430 overall score for my UKCAT so do I have a chance of getting into Medical school?Kind regards

Please reply, anyone
Kind regards
Reply 15
Original post by Jabruq
Please reply, anyone
Kind regards

Your UKCAT is too low for Sgul.

You'd need at least 640 minimum, and more near 650+ to be somewhat safe
Reply 16
Original post by ToeHold

do strong academics not make up for a low UKCAT at all? I got 625 av and really bummed that its pretty low for a med applicant :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by ToeHold

Thanks so much for replying and yes I understand.
Kind regards
Have A*A*A*A*A*AAABBC at GCSE AAAa at A level (chem bio and maths to A2 and physics to AS). Also in my final year of a degree in neuroscience with pharmacology (not sure if Im predicted a 2:1 or a 1st, probably a 2:1).
UKCAT score of 660 (VR=540, QR=740, AR=760, DA=600, SJT= Band 2), have worked as an HCA, and for an AHSN and done loads of voluntary stuff (though the voluntary stuff was before my degree). Do you think my grades/UKCAT are good enough to get an interview at Georges?
Reply 19
These are my stats.

I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level.
Predicted could be A*A*A in order in Biology,Maths and Chem (also A* in Further Maths)
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2

If you guys can advice me if I am safe to apply To St Geroges?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest