Sublet half room to friend, need advice!!

Watch this thread
oskarbirol
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We (6 people) have a large flat next year (5 bedrooms, one previous large living room being used as a bedroom, and a living room, kitchen + 2 bathrooms). A friend had a fallout with his girl friend and now wants to stay with us. We're all fine with it, and one of us is willing to split the large bedroom with him. Our contract says we're not allowed to sublet, but we asked our private land lord (2 months ago£ if our friend would hypothetically be allowed to stay a short while until he could sort out his accommodation. He said that's fine.

How do we proceed? The plan right now is to reconfirm that he will be staying short term, and then after about a month into the term ask if he can stay long term instead. The contract is for 10 months. Legally, he's allowed to let to 7 people. Is there any risk involved in not asking the land lord if he can stay long term? Could everyone be evicted on the spot if he would realise a seventh person is staying there? Are there any issues if he would stay at our place unofficially? (I guess the reason to not ask the land lord would be to not risk getting a 'no')

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks
elohssa_29
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I reckon there would be too much money in it for the land lord. I remember one house share, there was a random Polish guy who lived with us for like 3 months. Slept on the couch. Spoke no English. Never found out who he was.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.2%
It went fairly well (236)
47.2%
It didn't go too well (75)
15%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.6%

Watched Threads