The Student Room Group

Sixth form advice

Ever since I was a kid my dream has been to become a doctor. I've chosen biology and chemistry for a levels but have also been told to put down physics, and I'm just really stressing out because literally EVERYONE on here hates those subjects! To make matters worse, I'll have to do physics at an all boys grammar school which makes me really nervous and anxious, because they're like Einsteins over there.
I did my GCSE mocks, got a B in Chemistry and an A* in both biology and physics, and I'm just waiting for the actual results....can anybody give me some more insight on the subjects? Would a tutor be useful? What's the workload like? And how much maths is involved/to what extent? I'm TERRIBLE at maths - did early GCSE in year 8 and got a C, just about scrape a B now.

PS. my school have decided to make us only do 3 A2 subjects and nothing at AS because of the new system. That should lighten the workload, right?

Much appreciated! Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by euphorical
Ever since I was a kid my dream has been to become a doctor. I've chosen biology and chemistry for a levels but have also been told to put down physics, and I'm just really stressing out because literally EVERYONE on here hates those subjects! To make matters worse, I'll have to do physics at an all boys grammar school which makes me really nervous and anxious, because they're like Einsteins over there.
I did my GCSE mocks, got a B in Chemistry and an A* in both biology and physics, and I'm just waiting for the actual results....can anybody give me some more insight on the subjects? Would a tutor be useful? What's the workload like? And how much maths is involved/to what extent? I'm TERRIBLE at maths - did early GCSE in year 8 and got a C, just about scrape a B now.

PS. my school have decided to make us only do 3 A2 subjects and nothing at AS because of the new system. That should lighten the workload, right?

I've always wanted to be a nurse since I was younger as well. I'm also going to be doing biology a level so it would be good to hear about the workload from someone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by euphorical

I've just finished year 12 and am waiting on my results. I took bio, chem, history and psychology. At easter i dropped chem and had subsequently abandoned my plans of being a doctor.
The workload is such a big change from GCSE. I was got an A* in chem at GCSE but was getting U's at as level. The mark schemes are vey picky and there is quite a bit of maths involved in chemistry.
To be a doctor as long as you have bio and chem, you are good.
Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by Pugglet
I've just finished year 12 and am waiting on my results.

Can I tempt you with this year's results day thread?....

Click here [Warning; addictive]

Quick Reply

Latest