PLEASE HELP!!!! What is the difference between foundation year and preliminary year? Watch

aaronymncl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the difference between foundation year and preliminary year?

Are they similar?

I claimed I am attending Foundation year while filling the information on UCAS (suggested by my school's staffs and tutors) and now holding an unconditional offer.

However, I suddenly found that my course's official name is 'preliminary' year (but the course structure are almost the same with foundation and all the staffs and tutors said it is a foundation course)

Will this affect my unconditional offer if I tell the university?
tabithafogarty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure this will not make much of a difference, talk to your university who gave you the offer and tell them the mistake you made. I'm sure they will be understanding if you explain the nature of the course you are actually on. Don't stress, if you would prefer you could also call up UCAS and ask for their advice on the situation. I hope this helped!
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
I'm very afraid that they will reject my unconditional offer...

Although the course structures are almost the same with foundation, the name is different and its 'almost'....

My school's staffs and tutors suggested me to choose foundation year as my qualification bcz there is no preliminary year to choose on UCAS....

Ive told my university and they haven't replied me yet.

So can you tell me what is the difference between preliminary and foundation year?

Thanks for your helppppppp>.<
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aaronymncl)
I'm very afraid that they will reject my unconditional offer...

Although the course structures are almost the same with foundation, the name is different and its 'almost'....

My school's stuffs and tutors suggested me to choose foundation year as my qualification as there is no preliminary year to choose on UCAS....
They really trapped me...

I have told my university and they haven't replied yet.

So can you tell me what is the difference between preliminary and foundation year?

Do most of the universities not recognise preliminary year?

Thanks for your helppppppp>.<
This is impossible to answer. Every. Single. Foundation year/prelim year. Is different. Unis know this.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
that means they have right to reject my offer even its unconditional?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that means they have right to reject my offer even its unconditional?
They do. But the chances of them doing that are extremely slim
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
>< So what should I do?

Tell them via phone? As Im an international student, I need times to make the visa

In case they really reject my offer, can I go to my insurance choice?
N-R-G
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
>< So what should I do?

Tell them via phone? As Im international, I need times to make the visa to UK

Aiiiiiii Im so stressful now..

In case they really reject my offer, can I go to the insurance choice?
A preliminary year is the same asa foundation year. Just explain to the university that your teachers told you to put foundation year because there was no option for preliminary. And yes you can take your second choice if all else fails.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
(Original post by N-R-G)
A preliminary year is the same asa foundation year. Just explain to the university that your teachers told you to put foundation year because there was no option for preliminary. And yes you can take your second choice if all else fails.
That means they probably will still accept my explanation as its just only the name...

And I have already confirmed this offer and paid the deposit.
can i still have an insurance choice?
N-R-G
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That means they probably will still accept my explanation as its just only the name...

And I have already confirmed this offer and paid the deposit.
can i still have an insurance?

But I really want my firm choice... I really hope they won't cancel my unconditional offer
I expect they won't and everything will be fine, what university and which course is it?
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is the difference between foundation year and preliminary year?

Are they similar?

I claimed I am attending Foundation year while filling information on UCAS (suggested my school's stuffs and tutors) and now holding unconditional offer.

However, I suddenly found that I indeed was attending 'preliminary' year which is the official name of my academic year... (but the course structure are almost the same with foundation and all the stuffs and tutors said it is a foundation course)

Will this affect my unconditional offer if I tell the university?
Do nothing, they probably are already aware you are enrolled onto a preliminary year, however since as you said it's practically the same as a foundation year they accepted it anyway.

Preliminary = Foundation year, same thing different name.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
(Original post by yellowcopter)
Do nothing, they probably are already aware you are enrolled onto a preliminary year, however since as you said it's practically the same as a foundation year they accepted it anyway.

Preliminary = Foundation year, same thing different name.
How did they know? Will they look at my school website and check my course while assessing me?
Theyve offered me a place unconditionally as ive met all the marks they require in different modules, but Im just worried about the different name of these two qualitfications. Just afraid they might not recognise preliminary year...><
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
How did they know? Will they look at my school website and check my course while assessing me?
Theyve offered me a place unconditionally as ive met all the marks they require in different modules, but Im just worried about the different name of these two qualitfications. Just afraid they might not recognise preliminary year...><
Indeed logically, if theyve offered me a place based on my modules and Ive already met all the things, the names of my course wont affect much, unless there are big differences, right???
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Considering they have your university name and course name they will likely know the full details of the course. Also since you had to declare your module marks, they've likely done research on the course you're studying too.

Access to HE applicants and Foundation Year applicants are assessed more thoroughly than more traditional applicants, such as A-Level or BTEC, simply because courses are different between different colleges/university so they have to do research if the Foundation Year run at that specific college/university is suitable.

So no worries.
Furios
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its Kings college london and Im doing English language and lunguistics

Im kinda stressful now
My god man, you're going to be studying English language at university and your english man! sigh.
aaronymncl
Rep:
?
(Original post by yellowcopter)
Considering they have your university name and course name they will likely know the full details of the course. Also since you had to declare your module marks, they've likely done research on the course you're studying too.

Access to HE applicants and Foundation Year applicants are assessed more thoroughly than more traditional applicants, such as A-Level or BTEC, simply because courses are different between different colleges/university so they have to do research if the Foundation Year run at that specific college/university is suitable.

So no worries.
Thank you buddy!
I feel better now I will call them at office hour and explain my situation.
And really hope they will still allow me to enroll😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.32%
No (93)
47.94%

Watched Threads