The Student Room Group

Economics or physics for a maths degree

which would be more advantageous? Which would be more fun? Which would be easier to revise for? Which would be easier to understand?

subjects:

Maths
further maths
third subject: ???
Reply 1
Original post by shwansalah
which would be more advantageous? Which would be more fun? Which would be easier to revise for? Which would be easier to understand?

subjects:

Maths
further maths

Doing either will not put you in a disadvantage whatsoever. Physics on the other hand, will be slightly better if you're planning on doing the mechanics and other physics modules at uni (which I think is compulsory).
Reply 2
Original post by shwansalah

subjects:

Maths
further maths

BTEC hair and beauty
Original post by kkboyk
Doing either will not put you in a disadvantage whatsoever. Physics on the other hand, will be slightly better if you're planning on doing the mechanics and other physics modules at uni (which I think is compulsory).

I'd say physics would be a better choice, it allows you to see where some of the applications might be for the maths you learn in your degree.
Reply 4
Original post by onimusha370
I'd say physics would be a better choice, it allows you to see where some of the applications might be for the maths you learn in your degree.

Depends on the individual and also the uni they apply to. Maths is very vast and can be applied in many areas.
physics - theres more application and you use most of the formulae in your a level maths too
Physics syllabus tends to include more maths than Economics at A level so I'd say take physics.
I did all 3 of those subjects and dropped econ after AS
Original post by kkboyk
Depends on the individual and also the uni they apply to. Maths is very vast and can be applied in many areas.

More likely, the course will have more physics applications than economics applications. But yeah, maths is pretty useful I agree
Reply 8
You should take

Maths
Further Maths
Further Additional Maths
Use of Maths
Statistics

:P

I joke of course, i would say Physics would be the better choice, however saying that it could be good to take Economics as an essay based subject, you may have to do essays to explain complicated proofs on your maths degree

You may even want to consider other maths based subjects that are even more applied than Physics like Computing/Computer Science or Engineering
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't call A level economics fun. It is called the dismal science for a reason, but it is fairly logical and straightforward. It is also fairly easy, so not very hard to get good marks in it. However, it contains almost no maths, so I would assume physics would be of more interest to someone interested in a maths degree.
You and youreanutter are definitely related
Original post by Vanilla Poison
You and youreanutter are definitely related

Might be the same person :tongue:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Might be the same person :tongue:

Well they do share the same awful grammar :biggrin:
Physics better.

Study physics and you'll increase your understanding of the world greatly. Study pyschology and you'll increase your understanding of the world marginally. But it's only by studying economics that you'll actually end up understanding less.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest