The Student Room Group

A level reform, can you still drop subjects after year 12 (from 4 subjects to 3)?

Like if a subject has changed starting this september to being "decoupled", can you still drop it at the end of year 12/AS?

I'm confused af what is happening
Reply 1
I'm not 100% certain here, but I'm pretty sure yes

What it basically means for "decoupled" is that they're separate. So currently you do your AS and either drop it and get your AS, or you continue it to A2 but your AS counts for 50%. However now you will do your AS, and you will get an AS on your certificate. If you continue the subject, you will then get an A2 (completely irrelevant to your AS) on your certificate.

So, yes you can drop a subject as usual at the end of the year, and you will get your 4th option as a single stand alone qualification on your certificate if that makes sense
Reply 2
The reform meant that most subjects are A-level qualification with no coursework (practicals for the sciences though) and that all the exams are linear. (exams at the end of the year) although some subjects may not have changed like Edexcel Maths whereby you could do it as an AS.
You have to check at the beginning of the subject name, if it has AS/A2 in front of it then you can drop it but also have the option to carry it on.
If it just has AS then you only have to do it in Year 12.
If it says A2 then that is a complete course you can't drop at the end of Year 12. (if you do, then you won't get that qualification and basically wasted a year).
Hope this helps :colondollar:
Reply 3
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform
Link here details it fairly well

As a side note, have UCAS/Unis etc said how Uni applications will be affected by the reforms yet?
Some schools aren't offering the new AS.
When do you have to decide that you are dropping the subject and taking an exam at the end of year 12 in that subject?
Reply 6
Original post by dannyboy1718
When do you have to decide that you are dropping the subject and taking an exam at the end of year 12 in that subject?

I'm assuming you just tell the school/college you're doing your A levels at, and considering you have to pass your subjects to go onto A2, that would be after you get your AS results.
Reply 7
Original post by AdamCee
I'm not 100% certain here, but I'm pretty sure yes

What it basically means for "decoupled" is that they're separate. So currently you do your AS and either drop it and get your AS, or you continue it to A2 but your AS counts for 50%. However now you will do your AS, and you will get an AS on your certificate. If you continue the subject, you will then get an A2 (completely irrelevant to your AS) on your certificate.

So, yes you can drop a subject as usual at the end of the year, and you will get your 4th option as a single stand alone qualification on your certificate if that makes sense

My head of sixth form said you can still drop any subject you want to whether it has been "decoupled" or not (if anyone else reading this wants to know)

Original post by gabzzz
I'm assuming you just tell the school/college you're doing your A levels at, and considering you have to pass your subjects to go onto A2, that would be after you get your AS results.

yeah, thanks. i asked my head of sixth form, and they confirmed what you said.
Reply 9
Original post by gabzzz
My head of sixth form said you can still drop any subject you want to whether it has been "decoupled" or not (if anyone else reading this wants to know)

Original post by dannyboy1718
yeah, thanks. i asked my head of sixth form, and they confirmed what you said.

This depends on the school policy. Someone above said some schools won't be offering AS in the new A Levels in which case you can't drop it. If they do offer the AS, then you may be able to drop it.
So this is dependent on the school really.

Quick Reply

Latest