TheFroyoBear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I've been wanting to go into research for a while and was wondering if this is an option that is worth pursuing from a job satisfaction point of view? I'm really into biochemistry in particular and after spending some time in labs and doing my own research projects, I feel that this is something I'd be interested in doing.

What do you guys think?
c.w.2015
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Researchers (in most fields) are highly sought after, they are always jobs available.
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Research is one of the most rewarding things you can go into in my opinion. You'll always feel like an important part of something. Also you won't feel like all the years in education have gone to waste because you'll use your knowledge everyday. It's a well paying job and a lot of companies and universities seek researchers.
vildeung
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another aspect of a research career is that (in theory) your experience and expertise will only increase as you get older, and thus you'll be more sought-after. The exact opposite is happening to my mother: She is working as a graphic designer, where the youngsters are-sought after, so she's having a hard time finding work as she's getting older.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rewarding to the mind yes. Rewarding to your wallet......nope. Maybe if you're in the engineering field doing research, hell yes. If we're talking biological research, just stay the hell away from it. You get paid poorly and the work is not very secure at all.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't go into it for the money but it is a very rewarding but difficult career
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (20)
16.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.2%

Watched Threads