Calling all law students and applicants - what draws you to Law? Watch

HeisenbergWW
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm thinking of doing a Law degree, so I'd like to know what draws you to the course/what you find interesting about a Law degree!

Any information you could give me to help me with my decision would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Ed's Balls
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like how over-saturated the field is.
HeisenbergWW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed's Balls)
I like how over-saturated the field is.
Studying Law doesn't necessary mean a legal career though?

I'm actually just purely interested in it as an academic subject for now!
Ed's Balls
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HeisenbergWW)
Studying Law doesn't necessary mean a legal career though?

I'm actually just purely interested in it as an academic subject for now!
I suppose if you're certain you'll thoroughly enjoy it and are sure of getting a decent job afterwards (this part might not matter if you're well off) it could be the right degree for you. However, you could always study law as a hobby.
HeisenbergWW
Rep:
?
I suppose if you're certain you'll thoroughly enjoy it and are sure of getting a decent job afterwards (this part might not matter if you're well off) it could be the right degree for you. However, you could always study law as a hobby.
I'm hoping that a Law degree would open many doors? I may just be overly optimistic though! :P

Are you doing/have you done a Law degree?
Ed's Balls
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm hoping that a Law degree would open many doors? I may just be overly optimistic though! :P

Many doors to what? A career that you may as well have the particular degree for in the first place? Apprenticeships are also an option.
My final judgement is that if you don't want to go into a legal-related career, a law degree is pretty useless (waste of time and money which you won't get back), though if it's something you really want to do then noone can stop you.
Perhaps see where your A-levels could lead to and do some more research around the area to be sure the degree you will have will lead to a career you're interested in.

PPE at Oxford for me
HeisenbergWW
Rep:
?
Many doors to what? A career that you may as well have the particular degree for in the first place? Apprenticeships are also an option.
My final judgement is that if you don't want to go into a legal-related career, a law degree is pretty useless (waste of time and money which you won't get back), though if it's something you really want to do then noone can stop you.
Perhaps see where your A-levels could lead to and do some more research around the area to be sure the degree you will have will lead to a career you're interested in.

PPE at Oxford for me
Fair enough! I am just interested in the subject in the same way that someone may want to study Mathematics but not necessarily become a mathematician.

I have no particular career in mind at the moment, I just want to go to uni because I do truly enjoy studying!

Ohh that sounds interesting! Are you a current or prospective student?
Ed's Balls
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough! I am just interested in the subject in the same way that someone may want to study Mathematics but not necessarily become a mathematician.

I have no particular career in mind at the moment, I just want to go to uni because I do truly enjoy studying!

Ohh that sounds interesting! Are you a current or prospective student?
Graduated a while ago, former Shadow Chancellor

Though, if that is the case then I would advise against a law degree and would focus on finding a suitable career and a route to get there. Hopefully you'll find something you will want to do/go into. If it's possible, you could do A-level law. This is all just my opinion so feel free to take everything as you wish. Good luck with your decisions
Ayatia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I just graduated in law and got a scholarship to study International Business Law but i am still unsure that i want to be a lawyer. I decided and continuing to study law because it's only thing i feel confident and comfortable to study. Although i don't know if it will open more doors people surly respect you a lot for studying it so you get that prestige on your job applications.
HeisenbergWW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ayatia)
I just graduated in law and got a scholarship to study International Business Law but i am still unsure that i want to be a lawyer. I decided and continuing to study law because it's only thing i feel confident and comfortable to study. Although i don't know if it will open more doors people surly respect you a lot for studying it so you get that prestige on your job applications.
Did you not find the course itself interesting??
Ayatia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you not find the course itself interesting??

Oh it was, i did law with international Business. Although it's a full llb law degree, a quarter of topics were international business and i can tell you that law was lot more better than business, during my law topics i felt more engaged and it felt very good learning all these laws but sometimes some of the law they teach you, in your head are waste of time but i guess it's
Part of the package. If you enjoy doing law and you may done it in A level then continue, is enjoyable and very good degree to have and you be respected by people although it won't guarantee you a job like engineering and medicine.
ememoville
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the question is do you want to be wealthy in the future?
HeisenbergWW
Rep:
?
(Original post by ememoville)
I think the question is do you want to be wealthy in the future?
Being wealthy in the future is not important to me when choosing my course. Why? Are you saying a Law degree would make me more likely or less likely to be wealthy?
ememoville
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being wealthy in the future is not important to me when choosing my course. Why? Are you saying a Law degree would make me more likely or less likely to be wealthy?
it depends on you as a person but a lot of my friends want to do law because of the money
Ayatia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ememoville)
it depends on you as a person but a lot of my friends want to do law because of the money
People say they want to do law because of money but am sorry law doesn't = lot money, it's a common misconception. Lawyer = a lot of money and become a lawyer is really hard. Law = respect from the society and a start in becoming a lawyer
ande99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People say they want to do law because of money but am sorry law doesn't = lot money, it's a common misconception. Lawyer = a lot of money and become a lawyer is really hard. Law = respect from the society and a start in becoming a lawyer
Ayatia - which uni did you go to?
Ayatia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ande99)
Ayatia - which uni did you go to?
I went to Northumbria Uni and going to Newcastle to study International Business Law Master this September. Why?
Pewdie3.14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went to Northumbria Uni and going to Newcastle to study International Business Law Master this September. Why?
Were you not tempted by the 4-year exemption master's at Northunmbria?
Ayatia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pewdie3.14)
Were you not tempted by the 4-year exemption master's at Northunmbria?
That's a mistake I made, should studied the four year llm Law instead the 3 year LLB Law. Could got an LPC at the end. But ah well it's too late, least I can still study a Master. You, did you study Law or going to?
Pewdie3.14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a mistake I made, should studied the four year llm Law instead the 3 year LLB Law. Could got an LPC at the end. But ah well it's too late, least I can still study a Master. You, did you study Law or going to?
I study law at Exeter, yeah. And I was kinda tempted by the LLM at Northumbria just for the Student Finance covered LPC/BPTC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise