The Student Room Group

Applying for universities, help needed

I will be applying for university courses this autumn. My GCSE grades weren't bad (2 A*'s 4 A's 4 B's) and I'd like to think I've done quite well in my AS exams too. However I've got literally nothing extra curricular to put on my personal statement;I've played 1st XV rugby for my school and that's about it. I haven't done any voluntary work, not got a job, haven't done an EPQ or DofE. Do universities care that much about this kind of thing and will it affect my chances of getting offers?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by M67
I will be applying for university courses this autumn. My GCSE grades weren't bad (2 A*'s 4 A's 4 B's) and I'd like to think I've done quite well in my AS exams too. However I've got literally no extra curricular activities to put on my personal statement;I've played 1st XV rugby for my school and that's about it. I haven't done any voluntary work, not got a job, haven't done an EPQ or DofE. Do universities care that much about this kind of thing and will it affect my chances of getting offers?

No work experience or hobbies (a musical instrument, a language etc)?

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I was you, I'm sure you can think of something you did to mention alongside the transferable skills you gained from playing rugby?

Even if you can't, I don't think it will be that big a deal - the most important thing is that you convey your suitability for the course you're applying for.
Reply 2
Original post by Law-Hopeful
No work experience or hobbies (a musical instrument, a language etc)?

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I was you, I'm sure you can think of something you did to mention alongside the transferable skills you gained from playing rugby?

Even if you can't, I don't think it will be that big a deal - the most important thing is that you convey your suitability for the course you're applying for.

I'm going to be applying for languages so I won't be able to put that down as a hobby.

That's what I was thinking aswell, that if I show them how much I want to go to uni and study then I'm sure they aren't going to care too much if I have or have not worked in a shop for a few months or something like that.

Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by M67
I'm going to be applying for languages so I won't be able to put that down as a hobby.

That's what I was thinking aswell, that if I show them how much I want to go to uni and study then I'm sure they aren't going to care too much if I have or have not worked in a shop for a few months or something like that.

Thanks for replying :smile:

I know from experience that Oxbridge care little for your extracurriculars and focus essentially solely on your academic suitability for the course.

I think that the extent to which this is likely to be true for other universities will vary, but I doubt any university (in the UK - the US is different afaik) sees your extracurriculars as that important a factor to your admission there.

If your doubts persist, I'd recommend you email the admissions office (of the relevant department if possible) of the universities you're considering and ask them directly.

Best of luck. :smile:
Original post by M67
I will be applying for university courses this autumn. My GCSE grades weren't bad (2 A*'s 4 A's 4 B's) and I'd like to think I've done quite well in my AS exams too. However I've got literally nothing extra curricular to put on my personal statement;I've played 1st XV rugby for my school and that's about it. I haven't done any voluntary work, not got a job, haven't done an EPQ or DofE. Do universities care that much about this kind of thing and will it affect my chances of getting offers?

Universities only really care about relevant activities and for an academic degree demonstrating ability in the subject. As your applying for languages saying you read La Mond, or Die Welt am Sontag or whatever language newspaper/book/website e.c.t will matter more than you playing an instrument e.c.t
Reply 5
Original post by M67

you basically need to be interesting and interested in your subject. Read books in your chosen language, read books about your chosen language, watch films/documentaries/listen to music in that language. If it is relevant to the course you are thinking of studying, you could keep up to date with news from that country with a newspaper in that language. These would be very valuable things to add to a personal statement. You should mention your rugby too tho, as unis (apart from oxbridge) do somewhat like 'rounded' people who will contribute to university life. What language is it, out of interest? and which unis do you want to apply to? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MNem
you basically need to be interesting and interested in your subject. Read books in your chosen language, read books about your chosen language, watch films/documentaries/listen to music in that language. If it is relevant to the course you are thinking of studying, you could keep up to date with news from that country with a newspaper in that language. These would be very valuable things to add to a personal statement. You should mention your rugby too tho, as unis (apart from oxbridge) do somewhat like 'rounded' people who will contribute to university life. What language is it, out of interest? and which unis do you want to apply to? :smile:

Thanks for your reply. I'll be applying for a modern languages course studying Spanish and German, Spanish being the language I already study. In terms of unis;UCL, Glasgow, Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending