Do you have to dress formally in uniform or smart at your job or work?

Watch
Munchkin000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I currently work at Waitrose and I'm required to wear uniform, have my hair tied back off my face and my nails can't be painted or have anything on them like acrylic.

I'm a girly girl and It may sound silly to others but I want to find a job where I am allowed to express my self.
I like to have my hair big and curly and my nails done but i can't do that at Waitrose.

I am also moving home and need to find a job near my new home anyway so it is kind of fitting.

What jobs do you guys have that either require you to dress formally or where you can express yourself and you may have to wear their clothes or shoes?

Do you have to have your hair and nails a certain way or can you do it however you want?
picklescamp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my friends work on a stall selling ice cream. One of them has blue hair and the other has a lot of piercings, so perhaps independent retailers may be best?
czechmishaout
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Munchkin000)
I currently work at Waitrose and I'm required to wear uniform, have my hair tied back off my face and my nails can't be painted or have anything on them like acrylic.

I'm a girly girl and It may sound silly to others but I want to find a job where I am allowed to express my self.
I like to have my hair big and curly and my nails done but i can't do that at Waitrose.

I am also moving home and need to find a job near my new home anyway so it is kind of fitting.

What jobs do you guys have that either require you to dress formally or where you can express yourself and you may have to wear their clothes or shoes?

Do you have to have your hair and nails a certain way or can you do it however you want?
Do not go for a chain retailer if you're looking to express yourself through clothing, nail polish and hair style. Or try Poundland/Pound Saver/whatever those pound stores are called, those people don't seem to be wearing any uniforms.
TheGemini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are looking for a place that allows you to dress formally?

On a side note I heard top shop piles individuality !You might want to check them out

Posted from TSR Mobile
XpinappleX7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Boots there's a girl who has a pink streaks in her hair, and they like us to have our nails done and wear lots of makeup especially on the beauty counters.

They will be looking for Xmas temps agains soon also so I would apply then
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by czechmishaout)
Do not go for a chain retailer if you're looking to express yourself through clothing, nail polish and hair style. Or try Poundland/Pound Saver/whatever those pound stores are called, those people don't seem to be wearing any uniforms.
Not all are like that.
A woman who works at my local thats entertainment store has blue hair, groovy clothes with her works t-shirt, piercings etc.
annieprincess
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Munchkin000)

I currently work in Primark, and they don't care what your hair, makeup or nails is like. The uniform is all black, though, in formal clothing. It doesn't look awful though - I wear a black blouse with tight black trousers, and it looks good.

In stores like H&M and New Look, you can dress entirely how you want!

But if I was you, I'd stick with Waitrose because I think the pay is a lot better!
czechmishaout
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Not all are like that.
A woman who works at my local thats entertainment store has blue hair, groovy clothes with her works t-shirt, piercings etc.
I didn't express myself properly - all chain food stores, as in M&S, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Waitrose etc.
TheGemini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by annieprincess)
I currently work in Primark, and they don't care what your hair, makeup or nails is like. The uniform is all black, though, in formal clothing. It doesn't look awful though - I wear a black blouse with tight black trousers, and it looks good.

In stores like H&M and New Look, you can dress entirely how you want!

But if I was you, I'd stick with Waitrose because I think the pay is a lot better!
But she's unhappy .
I must say OP that's life.Imagine if all teachers ,doctors dressed however they wanted to express their style.You represent the company you work for & you have to abide by their dress code .
E.g my mum is not allowed nail polish at work so she only puts it on when going out & takes it off after .
I'd suggest you look for another job if it bothers you that much .

Posted from TSR Mobile
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
I work at boots, and despite having the normal white uniform they quite like us having our nails and etc done, because it's like we're a walking advert. Customers might see our hair and ask what we used to get it that way, so really it helps you to push extra sales. Try there, there might be some summer jobs left and if you perform well they'll keep you on
likewildfires
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I work in New Look and we get to wear what we want (also not strictly New Look), but we aren't really supposed to wear 'brands' i.e converse, nike, etc. It's good because you get the discount too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (181)
58.77%
I don't have everything I need (127)
41.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise