The Student Room Group

Most prestigious jobs in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella

Fairly stupid distinction to draw given it's not the lawyer's job to decide who is guilty or innocent.

Would you like me to rephrase it so you can be less pedantic about my choice of words?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Footballer. Be paid to be worshipped.
Original post by DiddyDec
Would you like me to rephrase it so you can be less pedantic about my choice of words?

I honestly couldn't find a possible interpretation of what you said that would be sensible, but if you'd like to point one out I'm all ears.
I honestly couldn't find a possible interpretation of what you said that would be sensible, but if you'd like to point one out I'm all ears.

Well then, we have the case of the wrongly accused "innocent" party and the "guilty" getting reduced sentencing due to having a good lawyer.

Is that clearer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well then, we have the case of the wrongly accused "innocent" party and the "guilty" getting reduced sentencing due to having a good lawyer.

Is that clearer?

It's clearer in terms of your meaning but still misconceived. Everyone is entitled to an advocate to defend them. In that, there is no moral difference so far as the lawyer is concerned between (a) showing that his client is guilty of no crime and (b) showing that he is guilty of a less serious crime than is alleged by the prosecution. In both cases the advocate is simply doing his completely necessary job.
If you're meaning to define mutually exclusive categories here I think that's unjustified and that, if you think about it, you probably realise that.

I am quite a smart person and I truly don't even know what you mean by this. Perhaps explain please?
Original post by Chris Scamander
I am quite a smart person and I truly don't even know what you mean by this. Perhaps explain please?

You seemed to suggest that there are no respectful and decent people in commercial law firms. I think that's untrue and unfair.

Is that clearer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If criminal lawyers did not defend the guilty, our legal system would not work. Imagine how annoyed you'd be if you were tried for rape and your lawyer wrongly decided you were guilty so didn't deserve a robust defence -- you'd be rightly quite annoyed (as would the ECtHR). The lawyer is not there to decide directly or indirectly whether you go to prison. That is the jury's and the court's job. They are only there to secure the standard of proof is met. That is secured by providing a robust legal defence for their client.
You seemed to suggest that there are no respectful and decent people in commercial law firms. I think that's untrue and unfair.

I agree I implied it and I agree it was unfair. I was trying to get the poster to agree with me by using the easiest example. People are generally not too receptive to people saying MC lawyers are the salt of the earth.

Although, I should have told them about barristers rather than implicitly **** on commercial solicitors. There are plenty of money-grabbing and self-serving people in their ranks as well.
I agree I implied it and I agree it was unfair. I was trying to get the poster to agree with me by using the easiest example. People are generally not too receptive to people saying MC lawyers are the salt of the earth.

Although, I should have told them about barristers rather than implicitly **** on commercial solicitors. There are plenty of money-grabbing and self-serving people in their ranks as well.

Poor City lawyers, playing the common enemy :colonhash:

I'm suppose just statistically that must be true, although the ones I've come across (mainly on mini pupillages) have tended to seem quite principled and conscientious, as well as surprisingly willing to take time out to explain, discuss and give advice on things.

Perhaps we're getting a bit off topic here, I just felt the need to leap in and defend the downtrodden City interests etc.
Poor City lawyers, playing the common enemy :colonhash:

I'm suppose just statistically that must be true, although the ones I've come across (mainly on mini pupillages) have tended to seem quite principled and conscientious, as well as surprisingly willing to take time out to explain, discuss and give advice on things.

Perhaps we're getting a bit off topic here, I just felt the need to leap in and defend the downtrodden City interests etc.

Yes, who ever stands up for those poor City lawyers. They have it worse than the underclass.

What is your story, again? I don't want to take the thread off topic too much, but quickly if you indulge me, you're doing an LLM and then have a place secured in the City?
Yes, who ever stands up for those poor City lawyers. They have it worse than the underclass.

What is your story, again? I don't want to take the thread off topic too much, but quickly if you indulge me, you're doing an LLM and then have a place secured in the City?

Will PM, too identifiable already
Will PM, too identifiable already

Ahh, apologies!
Ahh, apologies!

oh no worries, you've not said anything that's not public, I'd just rather not give out more detail on here :smile:
Original post by Basiji
engineer.

i admire anyone with sound knowledge of maths and physics and is able to apply it in real life situations :colondollar:

I'm supposedly an engineer, but I'm a "network" engineer...

Lol I think they mean professionals and professional drug dealers are generally..chemists :tongue: They dont earn a lot!
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'd actually rank banking, medicine, law quite low. Fair enough you have to be clued on to get there, but they aren't automatically entitled to my respect.

For me, it's service jobs. Armed Forces, police, care workers, paramedics, RNLI etc. You could say doctors are service, but I have more respect for the care working working 12 hour shifts on minimum than the surgeon doing it for £100k. I know it doesn't really make sense.

You can't just say that lol! Who said their doing it for the 100k? This could just be a bonus to them and their doing it for the satisfaction like the people you mentioned above. Don't just pre-judge like that as my Dad is a Surgeon and he does not do it for the money. It's like me saying the police, care workers ect are only doing what they do because they actually lack the intelligence to become a doctor, not that they want to protect society, for example a policeman.
(edited 8 years ago)
Screenwriter :ahee:

also scientist
Reply 57
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'd actually rank banking, medicine, law quite low. Fair enough you have to be clued on to get there, but they aren't automatically entitled to my respect.

For me, it's service jobs. Armed Forces, police, care workers, paramedics, RNLI etc. You could say doctors are service, but I have more respect for the care working working 12 hour shifts on minimum than the surgeon doing it for £100k. I know it doesn't really make sense.

They deserve respect, but they don't do a 'prestigious ' job (ie. a job that many people dream of doing).
Original post by alexp98
You can't just say that lol! Who said their doing it for the 100k? This could just be a bonus to them and their doing it for the satisfaction like the people you mentioned above. Don't just pre-judge like that as my Dad is a Surgeon and he does not do it for the money. It's like me saying the police, care workers ect are only doing what they do because they actually lack the intelligence to become a doctor, not that they want to protect society, for example a policeman.

Yeah, but let's be honest, if you are a police officer, you weren't smart enough to be a doctor or didn't have the educational opportunities to become a doctor. You never had the chance to be one. No one is sitting down in a room somewhere deciding between a career as a surgeon and a career as a copper, and saying "I could save lives for 100k a year, be involved with medical breakthroughs which saves thousands of lives, but nah I will just be a PCSO instead". That's not happening, not even in the North.
Yeah, but let's be honest, if you are a police officer, you weren't smart enough to be a doctor or didn't have the educational opportunities to become a doctor. You never had the chance to be one. No one is sitting down in a room somewhere deciding between a career as a surgeon and a career as a copper, and saying "I could save lives for 100k a year, be involved with medical breakthroughs which saves thousands of lives, but nah I will just be a PCSO instead". That's not happening, not even in the North.

It was an example. Clearly the point was some people are in very highly regarded proffesions which are very well paid but they dont do it for the money so your point is invalid.

Quick Reply

Latest