The Student Room Group

I don't want to seem ungrateful, what can I do?

So, during my time studying A levels, I have become friends with a girl, she was studying the same subjects as me and she was being bullied and picked on a bit, so I took her under by wing and we have became good friends. I get good marks in languages and that was an area in which she struggled so, I tutored her. Anyway, her mother has sent me a letter and inside there is money with a note saying 'thank you for everything you did for my daughter!'. I am very grateful but I cannot accept the money, I tutored her daughter because I like her and it is good to help where you can, I did not and do not want a reward for it. The girls friendship is reward enough for me. Is there anyway that I can give the money back without seeming ungrateful? They do not have a lot of money and it is a large sum that she gave me and I would much rather they had it. I would like to send it back, but I don't want to be rude. What would you advise I do TSR? I don't want to hurt their feelings but I cannot accept the money.
Original post by Alsace-Lorraine
So, during my time studying A levels, I have become friends with a girl, she was studying the same subjects as me and she was being bullied and picked on a bit, so I took her under by wing and we have became good friends. I get good marks in languages and that was an area in which she struggled so, I tutored her. Anyway, her mother has sent me a letter and inside there is money with a note saying 'thank you for everything you did for my daughter!'. I am very grateful but I cannot accept the money, I tutored her daughter because I like her and it is good to help where you can, I did not and do not want a reward for it. The girls friendship is reward enough for me. Is there anyway that I can give the money back without seeming ungrateful? They do not have a lot of money and it is a large sum that she gave me and I would much rather they had it. I would like to send it back, but I don't want to be rude. What would you advise I do TSR? I don't want to hurt their feelings but I cannot accept the money.

You could go to their house and try and talk to them about how it was rewarding enough just being friends. Otherwise you could invest it into a present for the family? Or you and your friend can decide to mutually spend it like go to the cinema or on holiday or anything together.

Hope that helps x
Just accept the money but explain how the friendship is enough.
Original post by WannaBMedStudent
You could go to their house and try and talk to them about how it was rewarding enough just being friends. Otherwise you could invest it into a present for the family? Or you and your friend can decide to mutually spend it like go to the cinema or on holiday or anything together. Hope that helps x
Thank you! :smile:
Original post by StolenPrivacy
Just accept the money but explain how the friendship is enough.
I would much rather that they had the money, though? :smile:

Just find a nice card, write a note pretty much with the reasons you've put in your first post - just about the friendship, put the money in and send it back to her parents. That's not ungrateful, ungrateful is saying 'that's not enough money!'.
No one ever became poor by giving. They gave you what they could afford to spare.

Treat them with a nice meal at a restaurant using the money they gave you and say "This is my gift to you, thanks."

Well, I would say accept the money. Did her mother know that you two were friends?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending