The Student Room Group

I'm a chemistry student - ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Cool, I think I'll precisely search it when I'm closer to the end. How is the course anyway, interms of difficulty and enjoyment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Thebest786
Cool, I think I'll precisely search it when I'm closer to the end. How is the course anyway, interms of difficulty and enjoyment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really enjoy it, I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Obviously degree is a step up from A Level as a lot of new content is introduced but as I've said before, as long as you keep up with lecture notes and read up on anything you don't understand and solve problem questions, you should be fine.
Original post by NicCx
I really enjoy it, I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Obviously degree is a step up from A Level as a lot of new content is introduced but as I've said before, as long as you keep up with lecture notes and read up on anything you don't understand and solve problem questions, you should be fine.

Cool, of course degree level is the next step up. But i think it'll be better than A-levels in terms of exams, as A-level tends to have a lot of application. As standard, needs hard work, but i think i'll like it as I enjoyed A-level Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you go about A level practical work and 'ISAs' or coursework cause I can do all the exams to a decent level but my grade for practical work always drags me down.
Any tips?
Reply 84
Original post by Thebest786
Cool, of course degree level is the next step up. But i think it'll be better than A-levels in terms of exams, as A-level tends to have a lot of application. As standard, needs hard work, but i think i'll like it as I enjoyed A-level Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you enoyed A Level Chem you'll probably enjoy degree level. I didn't really enjoy it at A Level due to the exams, I found it interesting which is what drived me to study it at degree. It definitely is better regarding exams, A Level requires you to use specific words/phrases whereas degree allows you to expand and the lecturers will more than likely give you marks for your clear understanding even though you may not be answering the question completely!
Original post by NicCx
Hi all,
I've just finished my first year of chemistry at University of Southampton with a first. Ask me whatever you want, whether it be about the course itself or just university life in general. I'm happy to help :-)

What's the one of the most potent alkaloids?
Hi, I want to study Chemistry at Newcastle University. At AS I got BBBD (in Biology,Chemistry,Geography and Businessstudies) but I'm remarking two of them so I could get ABBC (same respectively). I'm wondering if you find practicals stressful? or nerve raking?because that's my greatest worry. I only got a B in Chem As however I'm redoing unit 1 so I should get a solid A overall in As after that. Chemistry is my favourite subject and I genuinely find it extremely interesting. Also what's the difference between MChem and BSc with a extra year postgraduate to get my masters.
Reply 87
Original post by castl021.302
How did you go about A level practical work and 'ISAs' or coursework cause I can do all the exams to a decent level but my grade for practical work always drags me down.
Any tips?

I had the exact same problem, don't worry! Just try the best that you can and hope that your exam grades bring your overall grade up! I had hardly any practical work at school so the assessed practicals were always a struggle for me, I somehow managed it though! Just try and be as prepared as you possibly can.
Original post by NicCx
If you enoyed A Level Chem you'll probably enjoy degree level. I didn't really enjoy it at A Level due to the exams, I found it interesting which is what drived me to study it at degree. It definitely is better regarding exams, A Level requires you to use specific words/phrases whereas degree allows you to expand and the lecturers will more than likely give you marks for your clear understanding even though you may not be answering the question completely!

True, similar with me. Love Chemistry as a subject but don't like exam layout and the Isa at A-level. Hopefully, it should be better at university. For me, I'm more concerned what I will do in the future with it as opposed to the course as I should like it. Thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
My home is located nearby pond. we have installed Aluminium doors in my home.But the bottom of that panels is slowly slowly converted into colloidal form.What is the reason behind that problem?Is there any ground water contamination due to that pond pollution.If yes means which is the responsible contaminant from that polluted pond water,.
Reply 90
A drug with poor particle shape, poorly soluble, dosent flow very well and basic that needs taste masking.. which dosage forms would you produce and why ?
Thanks
Reply 91
Hey, Did you make your notes mainly based on lectures or textbooks or was it both? I would also like to ask whether you typed up your notes or were they handwritten?
Reply 92
Original post by Jenny P
Hey, Did you make your notes mainly based on lectures or textbooks or was it both? I would also like to ask whether you typed up your notes or were they handwritten?

I'm not the thread starter, but I am a third year chemistry student.

I annotate the lecture slides whilst in lecture and then i skim through the relevant textbook chapter to see if the lecturer has missed out any major information.

I hand wrote my notes for quantum chemistry and anything with lots of mechanisms and maths. However, for simpler, mostly basic first year courses, like MO theory ect I typed my notes. When you start your course, the way you like to make your notes becomes very clear. 95% hand write our notes and only use laptop for lab reports and calculations ect.
Reply 93
Original post by Jenny P

Make notes however you like.

Personally, I don't. I just have the annotated slides and lecture notes.
Reply 94
Original post by NicCx
I did Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths at A Level. There isn't really any physics content as such, I mean anything that's possibly to do with physics hasn't caused me any trouble and I wouldn't say I'm the best at it. There's basically nothing to do with physics. The maths side however can be a little tricky. The maths content actually involved in the chemistry theory isn't all that bad, it's pretty simple AS level stuff. I had a maths for chemists workshop on the side which was aimed at helping students catch up on their maths if they didn't do A Level. It was easy stuff in semester 1 but semester 2 was doing stuff that I did in Further maths so was a little harder and most people struggled with it. I also did 2 optional maths modules, 1 in each semester. The first semester module was very easy as I'd already covered the content at A Level but the module in the second semester was more difficult. All in all, there's nothing to worry about on the physics side of things but the maths side, A Level is very handy! Further maths even more so!

hi, i know its been a while since this post but its worth a try! Did you do anything at AS level? And do you think further maths at a level is as widely accepted for a chemistry degree than a level physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending