User1674917
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,
Wondering if someone could help me understand power plants, i have a few questions:
Why is coal used to generate electricity? Is it because its the most flammable?
How do you measure HOW much electriity coal would produce for e.g per hour? What variables would you take into account?
And how does 'combusted air' make it more flammable? Is that pure oxygen or something?

Thanks!!!!!!
Sorry this may be more physics related?
ElizabethHere
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not only coal that is used to generate electricity on power plants. There are coal powered plants, but there are also some powered on water and atomic energy. There are many different kinds and the amount produced per hour depends on how much is input, what the energy is being generated from, what kind of technology is used and so on.
jessyjellytot14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by star80)
Hi guys,
Wondering if someone could help me understand power plants, i have a few questions:
Why is coal used to generate electricity? Is it because its the most flammable?
How do you measure HOW much electriity coal would produce for e.g per hour? What variables would you take into account?
And how does 'combusted air' make it more flammable? Is that pure oxygen or something?

Thanks!!!!!!
Sorry this may be more physics related?

"In general, solids such as coal are easier to store than liquids and gases but they are often more difficult to light."

"Coal releases the least amount of energy per gram of fuel. It also produces the most carbon dioxide for a given amount of energy released when it burns." (So I guess the main reason it is used is because it release the most amount of carbon dioxide when it is burnt compared to other fuels)

The general word equation for complete combustion is:
hydrocarbon (fuel) + oxygen → carbon dioxide + water
So basically, carbon dioxide and water is produced. Complete combustion happens when a fuel burns in plenty of air. There is another type of combustion called incomplete combustion. This happens when a fuel is burnt where there is not enough oxygen in the air. The products of this reaction are carbon monoxide (which is toxic), soot and water. As a result, complete combustion is much more preferable.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything explaining how to measure how much electricity coal produces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads