The Student Room Group

Embroyology or Applied Genetics and Molecular Technologies for optional module?

Hi tharrr,

I'm starting a degree in Pharmacology in september at the University of Liverpool and was wondering if anyone can help me choose between Embrology, or Applied Genetic and Molecular Technologies for my optional module.
I am thinking more towards the genetic option because I am very interested in learning how medicines can be used to treat inhereted disease, but Embrology is equally as interesting and given the choice I'd study both!
It'd help if anyone who has studied, or is studying Pharmacology or a related degree could give me some advice as to what sort of things I can expect from either of the modules first hand; University descriptions tend to be misleading, as I'm sure everyone who has ever studied a degree has found out when picking that module that makes you wish you were dead!
It'd be even more helpful if an ex University of Liverpool student could shed some course specific information with me.

Thank-ye very much
Kath x
Uni description of Applied Genetic And Molecular Techniques

Nucleic acid structure: Review of nucleic acid structure and nomenclature, A, B, Z helices. Covalent modifications of nucleic acids, methylation.
Mutation at the molecular level: Gene expression and mutation. Genotype, phenotype and environment.

Gene cloning: Definition and applications. Case studies. Vectors and hosts. Enzymes as tools. Isolation of plasmid DNA. Digestion, separation and purification of fragments. Ligation and transformation. Analysis clones, selection and screening. Blue-white screening, phosphatase treatment, analysis of clones. Hybridisation, Southern/Northern blotting
Chemical properties of NA: acid hydrolysis, alkal ine hydrolysis of RNA, alkaline denaturation, urea/formamide denaturation, shearing, sonication.
Gene Libraries: cDNA, genomic libraries; principles of screening
PCR:Â principles and applications in cloning, reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and quantitative-PCR.
DNA sequencing: principles of dideoxy sequencing – refinements and high-throughput sequencing

Guest lecture: "Next generation" sequencing technologies – current and future impact.

Mutation and pathway analysis: Gene symbols and description of mutants. Multiple alleles. One gene - one polypeptide hypothesis. Pathway analysis.

Molecular basis of complementation: Trans-complementation in haploids.

Molecular basis of dominance: Mo lecular basis for complete, incomplete and co-dominance.

Meiosis and gene segregation: The correlation of meiosis and Mendelian ratios. Single factor cross. Sex linkage, sex limitation.

Complementation in diploids: Two factor cross. Diploid trans-complementation test.

Molecular basis of gene interactions: Modifications to 9:3:3:1 explained in terms of biochemical pathways and regulatory genes. Pleiot ropy.

Mendelian Genetics: Pedigree analysis.

Organelle genomes: Organelle genomes: Structure, modified genetic code, segregation and non-Mendelian inheritance.

Basic eukaryotic linkage analysis: Introduction to recombination analysis, linkage maps.

Recombinant proteins: biotechnology, expression systems, purification, fusion proteins, site-directed mutagenesis, protein-protein interactions, reporter genes
Genetically modified organisms: Â transgenic animals and plants, targeted gene disruption (gene knockouts).
Medical applications:Â Molecular diagnostics
Ethics: Introduction to the et hical implications associated with applied genetics and molecular biology
Embryology

Comparative developmental biology: the use of animal models from Dictyostelium discoideum to Homo sapiens

The characteristics of tissues: composition of tissues, focusing on epithelia, extra-cellular matrix and connective tissue

Fundamental mechanisms that regulate development: cell polarity, cell signaling and gene regulation

Evolutionary developmental biology: changes in developmental mechanisms and the evolution of form

Stem cells: general properties, the role of the stem cell in development

Formation of the germ line: germ cell development and gametogenesis

Fertilisation: me chanisms that regulate fertilisation of the mammalian embryo

Early mammalian development: from cleavage through to blastocyst formation, implantation, and the formation of epiblast, hypoblast and extra-embryonic tissues.

Gastrulation: formation of ectoderm, mesoderm and endoderm

Organogenesis: cell biology and the anatomical embryology of the main organ systems, including the nervous system, heart, kidney and gut.
Pick the one you're most interested in. Your interests will change over time. Have a look at the research being done by the people teachign the courses to get an idea of what will be taught.

Quick Reply

Latest