liampspencer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

My laptop recently crashed and I have been unable to regain my MS office. I have looked at alternatives for MS office, such as; Apache's Open Office and google docs.

My main problem is, I am a student and am unable to afford MS office. My university does not provide MS office. I am looking for a software that will meet the needs of a student. So I need to be able to construct essays, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. However, the software (named above) I have tried to use isn't successful with opening all my previous, Microsoft Office, documents - as it reformats them and they don't fit the page etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I was looking for a software that is compatible with MS office and can be used with Turnitin.

Thanks,
Liam
Gaming_Hippy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
wasnt open office good enough?
dkdeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://www.openoffice.org/ formats are exchangeable with ms formats.

I thought ms office was free for students with uni mail accounts ? Which uni ?
https://portal.office.com/start?sku=...0-7c6e01e6022e
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
libreoffice?
Cannoning
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could obtain it elsewhere if you catch my drift...
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cannoning)
Cant with 365 isnt it like a paid subscription?

Posted from TSR Mobile
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cannoning)
i read somewhere that you can download stuff called "Microsoft Office Activators" from torrent sites which makes office think you have bought a license but it's kinda illegal

(Original post by Killa Kam)
Cant with 365 isnt it like a paid subscription?
you can still purchase Microsoft Office 2013
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
scriberg just thought I'd let you know, discussion of those topics isn't allowed on TSR. Basically put if it is illegal in the UK it isn't allowed to be discussed on TSR.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq....lines_detailed

The Rules
Do not use TSR to assist with, condone or advocate illegal activity.
  1. Examples of illegal topics would include discussion of joining terrorist groups or being involved in terrorist activity, copyright infringement (including torrents and unauthorised streams of copyrighted material), fake IDs and drugs that are either banned or (where not in a prescribed context) prescription-only.
  2. We’re a UK-based site, so the laws of England and Wales are our guideline for determining illegality, although laws from other countries will be considered if appropriate to the context of the relevant post.
  3. The full site guidelines also apply to content included in avatars, signatures and personal reputation comments.

silencespeaks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Use google drive, one drive. They're free with email accounts, and eocuments can be downloaded for turnitin submissions.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
outlook has a limited microsoft office online for free
vis break
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what ever you do DO NOT:
Get utorrent
go the tehpirerbay
dload ms office
install it
run it for free 4 life.

Srsly dont so it
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by liampspencer)
Hi,

My laptop recently crashed and I have been unable to regain my MS office. I have looked at alternatives for MS office, such as; Apache's Open Office and google docs.

My main problem is, I am a student and am unable to afford MS office. My university does not provide MS office. I am looking for a software that will meet the needs of a student. So I need to be able to construct essays, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. However, the software (named above) I have tried to use isn't successful with opening all my previous, Microsoft Office, documents - as it reformats them and they don't fit the page etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I was looking for a software that is compatible with MS office and can be used with Turnitin.

Thanks,
Liam
If you have an email ending in ".ac.uk" there's a website called dreamspark where you can get Microsoft software for free - not sure if office is on there but it's worth a shot.
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Using an old version like 2011, not Office 365, do that thing we can't talk about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (339)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (269)
44.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise