The Student Room Group

applying straight through clearing but no finance stuff

I was just wondering if i could apply through clearing for this September without student finance stuff?? when i spoke to the careers woman she said i needed to apply through clearing because i hadn't worked out what i wanted to do before January (have now) but i haven't sorted any student finance out because i didn't think i was going this year. just wondering if it was possible?
Original post by MedievalWitch
I was just wondering if i could apply through clearing for this September without student finance stuff?? when i spoke to the careers woman she said i needed to apply through clearing because i hadn't worked out what i wanted to do before January (have now) but i haven't sorted any student finance out because i didn't think i was going this year. just wondering if it was possible?

Of course you can go through clearing:smile: Its likely you d get student finance through pretty late (so get it sorted asap), but as long as you can prove to your uni that you' ve put in the application so they ll get tuition fees paid before the date necessary and find cash to cover accommodation for now then you ll be fine.

Have you got your results already?
Original post by claireestelle
Of course you can go through clearing:smile: Its likely you d get student finance through pretty late (so get it sorted asap), but as long as you can prove to your uni that you' ve put in the application so they ll get tuition fees paid before the date necessary and find cash to cover accommodation for now then you ll be fine.

Have you got your results already?

the uni im applying to is quite small and when i last looked the course i wanted to do was in clearing courses along with a lot of similar ones

no i havent but my predicted grades are CC Distinction*
entry requirements 220/240 - 280 roughly

if i apply now do you think ill get the money before i go, i come from quite a poor family in poor area and cant get any additional funds from family :/
(edited 8 years ago)
the uni im applying to is quite small and when i last looked the course i wanted to do was in clearing courses along with a lot of similar ones

no i havent but my predicted grades are CC Distinction*
entry requirements 220/240 - 280 roughly

if i apply now do you think ill get the money before i go, i come from quite a poor family in poor area and cant get any additional funds from family :/

I would say apply for student finance now, if you dont get a place you can always cancel your application. Its hit and miss if you ll get it on time, however i could tell you a couple of banks would happily give you a student overdraft of say £500 or £1000 when you start if you re lucky. It wouldnt pay a whole terms rent, however if its university accomodation you get theres a possibilty you can explain your situation and they could amend your rent date.

I m afraid you ll have to wait till a level results day to apply but keep checking ucas and have a list ready of all your possible options so you can be ready to start calling people once you get your results. there ll be plenty of people on the tsr team around to help on results day if you need any support with clearing so dont panic yet:smile: what course are you hoping to do?
I would say apply for student finance now, if you dont get a place you can always cancel your application. Its hit and miss if you ll get it on time, however i could tell you a couple of banks would happily give you a student overdraft of say £500 or £1000 when you start if you re lucky. It wouldnt pay a whole terms rent, however if its university accomodation you get theres a possibilty you can explain your situation and they could amend your rent date.

I m afraid you ll have to wait till a level results day to apply but keep checking ucas and have a list ready of all your possible options so you can be ready to start calling people once you get your results. there ll be plenty of people on the tsr team around to help on results day if you need any support with clearing so dont panic yet:smile: what course are you hoping to do?

okay thank you i think ill stick with my original plan to take a gap year and earn some money :') I'm looking to do Medieval Studies with Heritage Studies or History degree at a different uni that has a lot of medieval modules :')
okay thank you i think ill stick with my original plan to take a gap year and earn some money :':wink: I'm looking to do Medieval Studies with Heritage Studies or History degree at a different uni that has a lot of medieval modules :':wink:

That is a pretty specific degree:P if you re happy taking a gap year then go for that as you ll be more prepared to start uni then, you can always take a look on clearing on results day just in case you find a course you fall in love with:P :smile:
That is a pretty specific degree:P if you re happy taking a gap year then go for that as you ll be more prepared to start uni then, you can always take a look on clearing on results day just in case you find a course you fall in love with:P :smile:

the only place that does it is university of wales trinity st david, cambridge and other higher ones do something similar but id never get into them. Its the only course i can see myself doing. i originally looked at doing primary education or education studies but i had no idea what to put in personal statement and i thought if i have nothing to write at that stage then i wont like the rest of the course so i kept looking and set my heart on this haha as the name suggest im kind of a medieval geek and love the time period so it just made sense really.

do you know if i do an apprenticeship will my mum still get family allowance/ benefits stuff for me since id still be under 19 and in full time education??
the only place that does it is university of wales trinity st david, cambridge and other higher ones do something similar but id never get into them. Its the only course i can see myself doing. i originally looked at doing primary education or education studies but i had no idea what to put in personal statement and i thought if i have nothing to write at that stage then i wont like the rest of the course so i kept looking and set my heart on this haha as the name suggest im kind of a medieval geek and love the time period so it just made sense really.

do you know if i do an apprenticeship will my mum still get family allowance/ benefits stuff for me since id still be under 19 and in full time education??

I think that to continue to get benefit it has to be an unpaid apprenticeship by the looks of it or something called a traineeships to still be eligible for benefits. If its a standard appernticeship, and with a levels you could do an advanced/higher apperticeship its like your child tax credit and benefit would stop and i think they d count your income towards the households but as apprenticeships are low wages i recon that you yourself would be entitled to something that could make up for the lack of child benefit and tax credits so i d try look up a benefits calculator to be sure.

I wouldn't write off any unis you could have 280/300 points with a distinction* which is pretty good to me :smile:
I think that to continue to get benefit it has to be an unpaid apprenticeship by the looks of it or something called a traineeships to still be eligible for benefits. If its a standard appernticeship, and with a levels you could do an advanced/higher apperticeship its like your child tax credit and benefit would stop and i think they d count your income towards the households but as apprenticeships are low wages i recon that you yourself would be entitled to something that could make up for the lack of child benefit and tax credits so i d try look up a benefits calculator to be sure.

I wouldn't write off any unis you could have 280/300 points with a distinction* which is pretty good to me :smile:

okay thank you for your help :smile: a lot of unis want history though and i took geography English and BTEC IT :')
okay thank you for your help :smile: a lot of unis want history though and i took geography English and BTEC IT :':wink:

You could always take a history AS as a private candidate and teach yourself it whilst you re on your gap year. some unis can say history is preferred rather than essential so doesn't mean you ve no chance at those just means you need to write an excellent personal statement to make up for it:smile:
There are a few that might take you without history: bangor could, aberystwyth, chichester, manchester met and st davids would all consider you without history so you ve got a few choices:smile:
You could always take a history AS as a private candidate and teach yourself it whilst you re on your gap year. some unis can say history is preferred rather than essential so doesn't mean you ve no chance at those just means you need to write an excellent personal statement to make up for it:smile:
There are a few that might take you without history: bangor could, aberystwyth, chichester, manchester met and st davids would all consider you without history so you ve got a few choices:smile:

im relly bad at personal statements haha :smile: also i wouldnt know where to go to do history as i should have asked to do it in yr 13 really but hey ho, i believe nottingham trent and york st john do to but i dont know if theyll do a lot of medieval modules and its that that i want to do
im relly bad at personal statements haha :smile: also i wouldnt know where to go to do history as i should have asked to do it in yr 13 really but hey ho, i believe nottingham trent and york st john do to but i dont know if theyll do a lot of medieval modules and its that that i want to do

you dont have to go anywhere specifically, buy yourself a textbook and find a college that will enter you in the exam as a private candidate if you wanted to:smile:
http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/undergraduate/undergraduate-study/our-courses/our-courses/history/course-structure.aspx
york st john has a medival module in year 2 but that appears to be it.
Nottingham trent has a medival module in year one and covers a lot of history topics it seems (heres their module book for history)
http://www.ntu.ac.uk/hum/document_uploads/143114.pdf :smile:

You ve got plenty of time to start working on your personal statement:smile:
you dont have to go anywhere specifically, buy yourself a textbook and find a college that will enter you in the exam as a private candidate if you wanted to:smile:
http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/undergraduate/undergraduate-study/our-courses/our-courses/history/course-structure.aspx
york st john has a medival module in year 2 but that appears to be it.
Nottingham trent has a medival module in year one and covers a lot of history topics it seems (heres their module book for history)
http://www.ntu.ac.uk/hum/document_uploads/143114.pdf :smile:

You ve got plenty of time to start working on your personal statement:smile:

thanks for the links :smile: ive got a basic outline for my personal statement i just dont really know how its supposed to sound
thanks for the links :smile: ive got a basic outline for my personal statement i just dont really know how its supposed to sound

find some examples online to give you some ideas but it is personal after all so just make sure it sounds right to you and then get a few people to proofread it between drafts:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending