The Student Room Group

Do you ever get called self centred?

How often have you been/do you get called self centred by people? Or have you never been called this? Also would you say that you are?
I ve never been called self centered. I m pretty selfless most of the time.
Sort of, but never actually been called self-centered. I have been called arrogant, selfish, uncaring, that sort of thing. Mainly be people who wanted money from me. :redface:
Reply 3
No but I think I am sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I ve never been called self centered. I m pretty selfless most of the time.

Are you a nurse, that's the general stereotype about nurses they are selfless etc, many of them are really nice. Worked in mental health nursing for a while though and found the opposite a lot of staff can be bitchy putting other staff down etc. I know you get that in all professions and there's a lot of pressure in nursing too which doesn't help. I actually made this thread as it was only a few weeks ago my mum said nursing wasn't for me as I was the self centred type and you have to be a selfless person in nursing etc. Been called self centred by someone else too but I'm very introverted and don't like being around people much which doesn't help lol.
Original post by Anonymous
Are you a nurse, that's the general stereotype about nurses they are selfless etc, many of them are really nice. Worked in mental health nursing for a while though and found the opposite a lot of staff can be bitchy putting other staff down etc. I know you get that in all professions and there's a lot of pressure in nursing too which doesn't help. I actually made this thread as it was only a few weeks ago my mum said nursing wasn't for me as I was the self centred type and you have to be a selfless person in nursing etc. Been called self centred by someone else too but I'm very introverted and don't like being around people much which doesn't help lol.

I m not yet a nurse, start my degree for mh nursing in september though. I dont think you have to be completely selfless to be a nurse is it solely your mum and one other person that says that?

what do your friends say about your personality?
if you re caring and compassionate and not too self centred then you could have some qualities you need to be a nurse. if you worked in mental health yourself then clearly you cant be that self centered or you wouldnt have done that kind of job right?
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I m not yet a nurse, start my degree for mh nursing in september though. I dont think you have to be completely selfless to be a nurse is it solely your mum and one other person that says that?

what do your friends say about your personality?
if you re caring and compassionate and not too self centred then you could have some qualities you need to be a nurse. if you worked in mental health yourself then clearly you cant be that self centered or you wouldnt have done that kind of job right?

With keeping myself to myself I don't have too many friends but yea friends have said I'm nice and a lot of people have said I'm a nice person, though I don't reveal too much of my personality to people I don't know well. I guess I went into it because I was interested in mental illness and it was recommended to me by a relative. I work in a more pragmatic than caring way though like I will consider what needs to be done and I will do it. Well done for getting into the course MH is really interesting and an enjoyable job depending on where you work and what area suits you best. I think the biggest problems are pressure on the wards to multitask, particularly acute wards and some of the staff can be controlling too (most are nice though) but then you get these issues with most jobs.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm nice and a lot of people have said I'm a nice person.

That sentence sounds like the opposite to being self centred, you really don't sound self centred to me at all:smile:
Thank you, i just cant wait to get started now:smile: not entirely sure which area i m going to go into yet so going to keep an open mind and give everything a go:smile:
All the time.
Reply 9
yes
Yeah I have been called this a lot both by my boyfriend and family. I'm not as selfish as I used to be but I have my moments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, not really. People tend to tell me that I'm loyal, friendly, caring, those sort of things (although I don't see it myself- I'm just me) and friends and their families are forever telling me that I'm a great friend, thanking me for things I'd done for them. Sometimes I think I can be a tiny bit selfish, but who isn't from time to time really?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I've not been called anything as bad as that. Although at uni a few people called me a psychopath. They were probably just jealous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending