Admissions on results day? Watch

c_k62
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Has anyone got any experiences of not meeting their A2 grades but then still been let into their uni choice? Or even not gotten into say their firm choice, but went through clearing for the same uni and then got in?

Especially if anyone knows anything on queens university belfast! I feel ive missed my offer by one grade and want to know if its worth looking elsewhere or hoping for the best/luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I'm intrested in this too as I'm applying for 2016. For clearing a lot of uni's do reduce the grades so I guess it's definitely far from impossible. As for getting accepted due to missing the grades this happens a lot, but of course it would depend on the uni and the course. Like this year an accounting and finance course that requires 300 points has been reduced to 240 on clearing therefore this implies they'll also accept a lot of students who missed he grades. As uni's can now choose as many people they want a lot more people will be getting accepted in the future years despite missing grades and through clearing as their is no penaltys for them taking extra students
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by c_k62)
Has anyone got any experiences of not meeting their A2 grades but then still been let into their uni choice? Or even not gotten into say their firm choice, but went through clearing for the same uni and then got in?

Especially if anyone knows anything on queens university belfast! I feel ive missed my offer by one grade and want to know if its worth looking elsewhere or hoping for the best/luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I m sorry to say that it completely depends how every other person did, so i would say try to be hopeful but make sure you ve a back up plan ready just in case.
I got into clearing myself for the same uni i d applied to but it was a different course and had much lower entry requirements than the original so not sure my story helps much.

Bare in mind if that department at your firm uni rejects you its unlikely trying clearing with them will help unless you re trying for a pretty different course with lower requirements than the original.
Hope this helps try not to worry too much yet and if you need help on results day there ll be plenty to be had on here if you need it
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by c_k62)

Posted from TSR Mobile
people have been let into their firm choice without making their offer before but each case is individual, what happened last year might not happen this year- you can't know for certain until you log into track on results day and see the result. If you've been rejected on track its unlikely you'd get in via clearing- sometimes universities enter clearing having rejected those who missed their offer because they want more students who've met their offer.

It;s always worth having a look to see whats available in clearing as a Plan B, but at this stage its far too early to say whether it will be needed.
c_k62
Rep:
?
any one else?😁 i was thinking cos ive applied to do physics and not so many people do it might give me a better chance if i do miss out by one grade? but at the same time you have to be really smart 😂 so they might not accept anything less?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sam280297
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My friend got let into York to study Physics with ABB when the offer was AAA. He still got let in for the masters as well. Kinda gives me hope as I'm doing the same as him this September.
Don't worry though, plenty of people get let in with one or two grades below, sometimes even more
Petey7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by c_k62)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Queen's can be rigid with grades, but if you have a really good personal statement, I can't see why they wouldn't at least consider you, especially if you've just missed your grades.

If you do end up at Queen's, stay away from the Shankill Road, most of West Belfast, and the nightclubs in the Odyssey Arena. And good luck. The student life in Belfast is fantastic, and so are the rent prices.

You'll have a blast.
clannem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm having the same problem! My offer was reduced due to me attending a summer school at the uni and my course is in clearing, however, during the exams I was going through the worst time (and was offered extra time due to mental health which I didn't take) and I'm wondering that if I miss my offer by a grade then I could get in? It's so nerve-wracking but I hope you get in!
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by clannem)
I'm having the same problem! My offer was reduced due to me attending a summer school at the uni and my course is in clearing, however, during the exams I was going through the worst time (and was offered extra time due to mental health which I didn't take) and I'm wondering that if I miss my offer by a grade then I could get in? It's so nerve-wracking but I hope you get in!
Which uni, if it's not Russo group I'm confident you'll get in as there is obviously a reason the course is in clearing
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just because an RG course is in Clearing do not assume this means 'they'll let anyone in'. RG Unis WILL continue to be picky.

Russell Group Unis depend on high A level scores for their reputation. At best they might allow one grade slippage in one subject. And this will apply even for subjects which always have lots of spaces - typically languages and any unusual subject combinations.

For highly competitive subjects - typically Medicine, Law, English, History, Engineering - Russell Group Unis dont need to allow near misses to scrape in to fill the course, so if you miss your grades your chances of a place are probably zero.

These are the Unis that anyone eligible for Adjustment will target - and anyone missing Oxbridge grades - so again Russell Group Unis dont need to be kind to to existing applicants as they know they will get higher grade applicants on the phone on Results Day.

Yes, you will hear stories about 'Last year my cousin's goldfish got into Durham with CCD' - these are stories not verified truth, you do not know all the circumstances involved, its not for your course/subject and more importantly that was last year. Do not listen to 'stories'.
c_k62
Rep:
?
(Original post by Petey7)
Queen's can be rigid with grades, but if you have a really good personal statement, I can't see why they wouldn't at least consider you, especially if you've just missed your grades.

If you do end up at Queen's, stay away from the Shankill Road, most of West Belfast, and the nightclubs in the Odyssey Arena. And good luck. The student life in Belfast is fantastic, and so are the rent prices.

You'll have a blast.
i can imagine!! fingers crossed though!

and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
c_k62
Rep:
?
(Original post by clannem)
it is when youre feeling its going to be by just one grade!! so bad when you do all that work just to have a bad day on exam day best of luck to you, hope you get what you want too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
c_k62
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam280297)
My friend got let into York to study Physics with ABB when the offer was AAA. He still got let in for the masters as well. Kinda gives me hope as I'm doing the same as him this September.
Don't worry though, plenty of people get let in with one or two grades below, sometimes even more
same! hoping that because not many people do physics theyll need everyone they can get! hopefully youll get what you want! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads