The Student Room Group

Are Access to HE diplomas in Science good enough for a top uni?

Are Access to HE diplomas in Science good enough for a science degree at a top uni? More specifically Warwick, Bristol or Birmingham.

Do you think this would be less desirable than A Levels?

I've heard that the Mathematics modules on Access aren't particularly rigorous, and so I have decided I might take A Level mathematics alongside.

Is this enough for a top uni?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, it worked for me.
Just aim to get distinctions across the board, write a good personal statement and make a good enough immediate impression on your tutors/lecturers so that they write you a good reference.
Reply 2
Yes, but to be sure contact admissions of the uni's and they will advise you the best route.
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex
Yes, it worked for me.
Just aim to get distinctions across the board, write a good personal statement and make a good enough immediate impression on your tutors/lecturers so that they write you a good reference.

Hello, and thanks for your reply

Did you take access to science? if so, which course are you studying now?

Thanks again!
Original post by Venusian
Hello, and thanks for your reply

Did you take access to science? if so, which course are you studying now?

Thanks again!

Yes, took modules in biology, chemistry, maths and some crappy study skills module. Now studying cell/molecular biology.
Reply 5
Original post by Quantex
Yes, took modules in biology, chemistry, maths and some crappy study skills module. Now studying cell/molecular biology.

That's the sort of thing I'd love to go into!
Which offers did you recieve?

Thanks a lot :smile:
That's the sort of thing I'd love to go into!
Which offers did you recieve?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Offers from Newcastle, Durham, York, Nottingham and Northumbria. If I remember correctly, first 4 asked for 30 credits at distinction, rest at merit. Most competent students get more than that, so I don't think the entrance requirements are that steep.
I had no problems getting onto my BSc at UCL after an Access course, indeed, I had offers from all the universities I applied to - UCL, King's, Southampton, QMUL and Reading - so if anyone tells you that Access won't get you offers from decent universities, tell them to get stuffed! That said, and I don't want people to take this the wrong way, the science modules I took on my Access course were ridiculously easy. Far, far easier than the A-level sciences (Bio and Chem) i'd taken back in 1994. Grab some A level text books and get up to speed, it'll make you look good at an interview if you can sit there and tell them that you've gone the extra mile should they question the quality of the Access modules.

With regards to offers, of the three universities I was actually interested in going to (QMUL and Reading got bunged on there purely to fill up the rest of the fields in the UCAS application), UCL wanted 30 credits at distinction and 30 at merit. Southampton wanted 45 at distinction and 15 at merit and King's (very surprisingly) only wanted me to pass the Access course (no rhyme of reason to any of the offers really!) Saying that, they wanted all modules taken to be at Level 3 (which wasn't an issue, the HE college I took my Access course at only offered courses at Level 3), so give the universities you're interested in a bell and see what they want.

Personally, I managed 54/60 credits at distinction and 6/60 at merit - and i'm not exactly what you'd call a dedicated student. If you're smart and hardworking (and I knew one or two like that), then it's possible to breeze through the lot and get 60 credit all at distinction.

Go for it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Jumping on the back of this, I'm going to be starting an access course and looking to get into a computer science course afterwards. Most courses want a B in maths GCSE and I currently only have a C. Is it worth it to take the maths GCSE again or are they not very strict?
Original post by Welchy
Jumping on the back of this, I'm going to be starting an access course and looking to get into a computer science course afterwards. Most courses want a B in maths GCSE and I currently only have a C. Is it worth it to take the maths GCSE again or are they not very strict?

Universities are usually very strict about GCSE requirements. Resitting it to get a grade B or higher will certainly increase your options when it comes to choosing a university.

Are Access to HE diplomas in Science good enough for a science degree at a top uni? More specifically Warwick, Bristol or Birmingham.

All of those universities accept Access, but you should check for the particular course(s) in which you are interested, as policy may vary between departments.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/b900
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2016/biochemistry/bsc-biochem-molecular-biology-biotech/
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/requirements/index.aspx

Do you think this would be less desirable than A Levels?

I've heard that the Mathematics modules on Access aren't particularly rigorous, and so I have decided I might take A Level mathematics alongside.

Is this enough for a top uni?

I've just finished an Access course at a college in the South West, personally I know at least three of my fellow students got offered places at Bristol for science based degrees (Zoology, Biochemistry and - I think - Cancer Biology). I believe their offers were all 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending