V822 - Motorway Speed Limit Bill 2015 (Second Reading) Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (33)
73.33%
On the contrary, No (9)
20%
Abstain (3)
6.67%
This discussion is closed.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
V822 - Motorway Speed Limit Bill 2015 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative and Unionist Party

Motorway Speed Limit Bill 2015

A bill to increase the national speed limit on motorways to 80 miles per hour.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Motorway National Speed Limit
(1) As of 1st September 2015, all motor vehicles which, prior to the implementation of this Act, were subject on motorways to a speed limit of 70 miles per hour, shall be subject to a new speed limit of 80 miles per hour.
(1.1) When in adverse weather, including, but not limited to rain, fog, snow and when the surface is wet for any reason, the speed limit will be reduced to 70 miles per hour.
(1.2) All vehicles which have restricted speed limits prior to the commencement of this Bill, will continue to have the restrictions.
(1.3) Vehicles with restrictions must stay in the left hand lane at all times, unless required to move out into other lanes caused by a problem in the left hand lane, including but not limited to lane closure or a broken down vehicle, or if requested to do so by the emergency services.

2 Enforcement Changeover
(2) The tolerance level of all speed cameras on motorways shall be set by the Department for Transport.
(2.1) All speed cameras will be recalibrated by this date. Anyone recorded to be driving at a speed below 90 miles per hour from when this Bill is enacted, shall not be liable to prosecution.
(2.2) Anyone found to be driving between the speed of 90 miles per hour and 105 miles per hour shall receive 3 points on their license, and a fixed penalty of £50 which must be paid within 28 working days, which may be reduced to £30 if paid within 7 working days.
(2.3) Anyone found to be driving over 105 miles per hour shall be required to attend court whereby a judge will determine the punishment. This shall be a minimum of 6 points and £100 fine.

3 Definitions
(3) For the purpose of this Bill, ‘motorway’ refers to any public road that is signed, as per the Highway Code, as being under motorway regulations.

4 Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Bill may be cited as the Motorway Speed Limits Bill 2015.
(2) This Bill shall extend to the entire United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force on 1st September 2015 following Royal Assent.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
The tolerance of speed cameras in the UK is of the following: 10% + 2mph. This is consistent through all speed limits. With the current speed limit of 70 mph, you will not receive a fixed penalty unless travelling at a speed of 79 mph. Based on this, you would not receive a fixed penalty unless travelling at 10% + 2mph = 8 + 2 = 10mph over the speed limit of 80 mph. Therefore the speed at which you would receive a fixed penalty is 90 mph. Read more here!

Changes1. Added notes to explain the reasoning behind the tolerance level of 90mph.
2. Date of enactment from August to September.
3. Removed part about sign changes.
4. Cleaned up about restricted vehicles in left hand lane.

RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as 1.1 exists i cannot support this
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye. It's the sensible thing to do.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I vote as per the will of the party.
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, but a word of caution. Travelling at 70 mph in adverse weather is not necessarily safe. I had to slow down yesterday when driving up the M1 / M6 as I was aquaplaning at 70, sending my traction control crazy not able to get grip.. Just saying.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by StatusRed)
Aye, but a word of caution. Travelling at 70 mph in adverse weather is not necessarily safe. I had to slow down yesterday when driving up the M1 / M6 as I was aquaplaning at 70, sending my traction control crazy not able to get grip.. Just saying.
The logic being applied is that if you limit them to 70 they will drive responsibly to the conditions, if you keep the limit at 80 people won't, for some reason.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
The logic being applied is that if you limit them to 70 they will drive responsibly to the conditions, if you keep the limit at 80 people won't, for some reason.
They'll drive at 70 if you limit them to 70, which isn't necessarily safe even though it's 10 miles an hour slower than the normal speed limit. Also, it would be hard to implement something like this in real life, who would decide when the weather becomes "adverse" etc..
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They'll drive at 70 if you limit them to 70, which isn't necessarily safe even though it's 10 miles an hour slower than the normal speed limit. Also, it would be hard to implement something like this in real life, who would decide when the weather becomes "adverse" etc..
That's exactly what everybody's been saying in both readings
And saying that the limit is x therefore people will drive at x is a bit of a dodgy argument, most people are sensible enough not to if it is not safe to.
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's exactly what everybody's been saying in both readings
And saying that the limit is x therefore people will drive at x is a bit of a dodgy argument, most people are sensible enough not to if it is not safe to.
I beg to differ. I think people will drive as fast as they possibly can without being stopped or caught by speed cameras, talking from experience of a fair bit of motorway driving between Portsmouth -> London and Manchester -> London.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Incidentally, having spent more hours than I'd like to have done on French motorways this weekend, it's not just the top motorway speed limit that drops in the rain, but rather they have a series of drops for all roads:

All 130 km/h limits drop to 100 km/h
All 110 km/h limits drop to 100 km/h
All 90 km/h limits drop to 80 km/h
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In France it's literally this simple:
StatusRed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
In France it's literally this simple:
But do you not see how that's subjective?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But do you not see how that's subjective?
Not really. I'd have to look for the actual law, but I believe any rain (presumably falling) means lowered limits.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not really. I'd have to look for the actual law, but I believe any rain (presumably falling) means lowered limits.
which is often going to be totally unnecessary
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
which is often going to be totally unnecessary
It doesn't take too much rain to make the road surface slippery.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It doesn't take too much rain to make the road surface slippery.
Slippery and hazardous aren't the same thing though
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Slippery and hazardous aren't the same thing though
In terms of braking suddenly they're pretty close.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ayes to the right: 33
Noes to the left: 9
Abstain: 3

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 90%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (264)
15.31%
The paper was reasonable (960)
55.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (371)
21.52%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.48%

Watched Threads