How many mathematics A levels are there?

Watch
Venusian
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
And are "Pure mathematics" "Maths and statistics" and "Maths and Mechanics" All different A Levels?

Would they count as Three A Levels?
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Venusian)
And are "Pure mathematics" "Maths and statistics" and "Maths and Mechanics" All different A Levels?

Nope. The statistics and mechanics are modules you take within the A level maths. So therefore you either do Maths with mechanics OR Maths with statistics.
It's possible to do the mechanics module (M1) in your first year and then stats in your second (S1)
That's one A level.

Then you can choose to do A level further maths which counts as a separate A level
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

no because these share modules.

but you can have

straight maths.
further maths
additional further maths

these count as 3 A levels and people that usually go to the very top universities to read maths do all 3
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
no because these share modules.

but you can have

straight maths.
further maths
additional further maths

these count as 3 A levels and people that usually go to the very top universities to read maths do all 3
Interesting, I hadn't heard of additional further maths before. Are there more modules to take or does it just use the ones not taken in maths and further maths?
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)
Interesting, I hadn't heard of additional further maths before. Are there more modules to take or does it just use the ones not taken in maths and further maths?
example for EDEXCEL

straight maths: C1, C2, C3, C4 S1, S2
further maths: FP1, FP2 FP3, M1 ,M2, M3
ADDITIONAL D1, D2, S3, S4, M4, M5
username1732491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
example for EDEXCEL

straight maths: C1, C2, C3, C4 S1, S2
further maths: FP1, FP2 FP3, M1 ,M2, M3
ADDITIONAL D1, D2, S3, S4, M4, M5
Ah ok. That seems like something I would have done if possible, but my school didn't offer it unfortunately.

EDIT: I did a bit of reading, and it seems that it is Edexcel and OCR only, which is a pity as I did AQA ;_;
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)
Ah ok. That seems like something I would have done if possible, but my school didn't offer it unfortunately.
very few schools offer to teach all this (I know only of one private school in my vicinity that teaches all of them). Almost everybody who takes all 18 has to self study for some modules
username1732491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
very few schools offer to teach all this (I know only of one private school in my vicinity that teaches all of them). Almost everybody who takes all 18 has to self study for some modules
I don't get why AQA don't have it as an option; I mean, they even have an extra unit! In hindsight, I might have picked a sixth form that didn't use AQA, so that I could have done the course, as I didn't know about it at the time. I still got offers from good universities though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)
I don't get why AQA don't have it as an option; I mean, they even have an extra unit! In hindsight, I might have picked a sixth form that didn't use AQA, so that I could have done the course, as I didn't know about it at the time. However, it all matters little now.
most boards offer it, so check.
your school might not "advertise" it
username1732491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
Checked Wikipedia - AQA does not give the qualification. Nothing comes up on google for 'AQA additional further maths' except for an old TSR post which suggests the same thing.
username1732491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...matics_A_Level

A level Maths Modules > Further Mathematics (Additional):

"Additional further maths is not currently available if you study with AQA exam board or with the main OCR (A) specification."
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)

"Additional further maths is not currently available if you study with AQA exam board or with the main OCR (A) specification."

well I learn something everyday ...
Stepidermis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)
I don't get why AQA don't have it as an option; I mean, they even have an extra unit! In hindsight, I might have picked a sixth form that didn't use AQA, so that I could have done the course, as I didn't know about it at the time. I still got offers from good universities though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
(Original post by TimGB)
Checked Wikipedia - AQA does not give the qualification. Nothing comes up on google for 'AQA additional further maths' except for an old TSR post which suggests the same thing.
(Original post by TimGB)

Doesn't matter as the A level isn't a requirement since the people that take extra modules are so scarce, if you had simply taken all of the modules and got individual grades for each that would've sufficed
username1732491
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stepidermis)
Doesn't matter as the A level isn't a requirement since the people that take extra modules are so scarce, if you had simply taken all of the modules and got individual grades for each that would've sufficed
But would universities have counted it as a full A-level? I self-studied 2 extra modules, but I was under the impression that it these didn't count towards anything unless I happened to get a lower score in one of my other modules. If I had taken 6 extra modules, would none of them have counted or would it have been seen as an extra A-level?
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

As others have said in AS and A2 Maths you get an option unit. Maths and Stats would be with the stats optional unit and etc. They are both Maths A-Level you just study a different optional unit. Each one is the same course so you choose one. Pure Mathematics however is another A-Level in itself, where you do the normal Maths A-Level units but then do Further Maths FP1 and FP2 too but no optional unit (or in other words instead of the optional unit).

Officially, these are all the A-Level Mathematics courses out there. MEI subjects are just different syllabuses made by MEI in co-operation with OCR.

AS/A2 Mathematics
AS/A2 Mathematics (MEI)
AS/A2 Pure Mathematics
AS/A2 Statistics (AQA)
AS Statistics (MEI)
AS/A2 Further Mathematics
AS/A2 Further Mathematics (Additional)
AS/A2 Use of Mathematics
AS Quantitive Methods (MEI)

There are also a couple of Level 3 Maths qualifications out there:

Edexcel Level 3 Award in Algebra
Edexcel Level 3 Award in Statistical Methods
OCR Level 3 Additional Maths (FSMQ)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (62)
18.08%
No one else does (109)
31.78%
I'm embarrassed about my background (36)
10.5%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (115)
33.53%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.75%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
2.04%

Watched Threads