Any Geography Exam boards just exam based? Watch

Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi.

I'm thinking of doing Geography as an external candidate. Are there any boards which have no coursework/ Controlled assesmentds for A Level Geography?
Kash24411
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
Hi.

I'm thinking of doing Geography as an external candidate. Are there any boards which have no coursework/ Controlled assesmentds for A Level Geography?
Edexcel.

But i hear with the new changes it's going to be implemented.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All of them.
SophhFrog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've just finished my A level Geography on the OCR exam board.

It's all marked on examinations. Though during the A2 year you to do some fieldwork. It's not marked or sent away to an examiner, but you do have an exam called Geographical Skills where you are tested via 10 mark questions and 20 mark essays about things to do with fieldwork which you have to link to what you did i.e use of secondary data.

Hope this helps drop me a message though if you have any questions.
mjrd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi.

Wjec
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi.

There are all based on the old spec, since the new spec will not be out for another year meaning you'll still be doing the old style exams for Geog.

AQA - All exam based but AS Unit 2 is an exam on fieldwork (however this is apparently 'generic' ) A2 Unit 4 gives two options one field work evaluation and one 'geographical issues evaluation'. So I guess you could do this board and take option B for A2 Unit 4.

WJEC - All exams, AS G1 and G2 require fieldwork knowledge but again this is generic. A2 G4 is just about sustainability. Just do watch out for A2 G3, which is an exam however you have to carry out research based on a theme for it. I'd say maybe don't do this board as Unit G3 is just going to be a bit of a hassle.

Edexcel - All exams again, AS unit 2 requires investigation data. I assume it accepts online research etc rather than fieldwork by the looks of it. Possibly consider this board or AQA.

OCR - Requires investigation/fieldwork for Unit 4, better to find alternative board. Would be fine for AS only, however.

CIE International AS/A Level - I think this might be the best board if not Edexcel or AQA, as AS is 1 exam all based on knowledge and no fieldwork what so ever. A2 Unit 2 and Unit 3 are on Physical and Human geography and have very minimal fieldwork questions, looks pretty passable without barely any fieldwork knowledge.

Summarised:
AQA - Bit of fieldwork knowledge for AS, otherwise this board is fine
WJEC - Loads of fieldwork knowledge, possible but a hassle so a no go
Edexcel - Look more at the spec but this board would be fine
OCR - AS only
CIE - Recommended tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%