Watch
RWFORD6390
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

Firstly a little bit about myself.

Currently 29, Ex military 6 years served Royal Corps of Signals and 6 years post service in Supply Chain / Purchasing positions.

Starting in Sept 2015 - once all paperwork sorted on the Access to Nursing and Allied Health Professions @ Manchester College. Part Time Evening Classes / Blended with distance Learning.

Hoping to complete the course for 2016 with Distinctions and then return to study on the Access to Medicine Course FT @ Manchester College Sept 2016.

Long goal to gain a place into University of Lancaster / Liverpool / Manchester for the Sept 2017 Intake. Long term plan but well worth it

Few questions:

1. I have 9 GCSE`s ranging from B - D across the subjects, Major subjects English/Maths/Science all at B-C.

Would this be suitable for the Access to Medicine course, or would the Access to Nursing Course override the GCSE Requirements? If not can I complete IGCSE qualifications in the major subjects and better my grades? are they even accepted into most University's?

2. Looking at the Access Courses to Medicine @ Manchester College or @ Carmel College - what course would be best suitable as per above qualifications.

I was hoping to continue my study full time @ Manchester and move there to complete this, or commute via train / car for the course days. I have also been accepted to volunteer at the local Hospice. What other possible experience would be beneficial?

Hope the above is OK, and any advice welcome. Its been a long time coming to restudy and get into my once sought after career.

thanks
Rob
SuperCat007
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RWFORD6390)
Hello,

Hoping to complete the course for 2016 with Distinctions and then return to study on the Access to Medicine Course FT @ Manchester College Sept 2016.

Long goal to gain a place into University of Lancaster / Liverpool / Manchester for the Sept 2017 Intake. Long term plan but well worth it

Few questions:

1. I have 9 GCSE`s ranging from B - D across the subjects, Major subjects English/Maths/Science all at B-C.

Would this be suitable for the Access to Medicine course, or would the Access to Nursing Course override the GCSE Requirements? If not can I complete IGCSE qualifications in the major subjects and better my grades? are they even accepted into most University's?

2. Looking at the Access Courses to Medicine @ Manchester College or @ Carmel College - what course would be best suitable as per above qualifications.

I was hoping to continue my study full time @ Manchester and move there to complete this, or commute via train / car for the course days. I have also been accepted to volunteer at the local Hospice. What other possible experience would be beneficial?

Hope the above is OK, and any advice welcome. Its been a long time coming to restudy and get into my once sought after career.

thanks
Rob
1. Why are you planning on doing 2 Access courses?! You only need 1 to get into uni. Access to nursing won't be in anywhere near as much depth as Access to medicine, and if medicine is your long term goal then it seems a bit pointless?

2. You will need GCSE grade B or above in English, maths and science. If you can squeeze in anymore and get B or above then great. I'd suggest you spend this year getting those GCSE's so you meet the requirements for the universities and the Access to medicine course. Access to nursing won't override anything and the question about why you felt the need to do two will be asked. They're designed as an alternative route to uni, hence you're only meant to do one to get into uni.

3. Access to medicine will help you achieve your goals.

4. Write/email to local hospitals, physios, GP's, even dentists if they're part of the hospital. Most have well established shadowing experiences so it shouldn't be hard to get more experience. Also St John Ambulance/Red Cross are a great way to experience first hand medical care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (159)
14.51%
I'm not sure (48)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (326)
29.74%
I have already dropped out (31)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (532)
48.54%

Watched Threads