Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been done but, just out of curiosity, how many if you will be voting next thursday?

Reasons for/ against?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't care really.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely will -- it'll be the first time I've voted, so I'm quite excited about it in a low-key sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    I just completed my form today actually. The way I see it it's the only chance we get to have any effect on our government - People who moan about the current government and then don't vote irritate me to hell.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i'll be voting. There isn't really anyone worth voting for in my opinion. My dad says i should vote to stop the BNP getting in :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my ballot papers on saturday. The joys of postal voting. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not posting out of principle, i disagree with policies of each party

ReputationRep:
    i have already voted, in our local mayoral elections!!!! it was so exciting, citizens!

ReputationRep:
    John Paul Jones
    I'm not posting out of principle, i disagree with policies of each party
    Just out of interest, do you take part in any form of political participation, such as pressure groups, media etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fly005)
    Just out of interest, do you take part in any form of political participation, such as pressure groups, media etc.

i would if i wasn't so shy - i want to join a political society when i get to university, i'm not very assertive so i can't state my principles very well, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Me myself, am only 17 so obviously I can't vote, which I would do by finding a party with the best policies for me but until then wont be looking at their policies in too much depth. However, I can join pressure groups but the problem I would have is that they do not look at broad range of issues and will look for one cause or section such as Friends of the Earth would aim at helping enviroment etc. and there isn't really any political issue I feel strongly about. However, like you said, when I go off to Uni I will probably join a political group, maybe try a bit of voting, get involved with local politics maybe to start with.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would vote if I was old enough, although I've always thought there should be an option for those people who want to abstain because they don't want to vote for any of the available parties. Maybe this would help to differentiate them from those who simply can't be bothered to vote.

To be honest I'v always seen not voting as a sign that people are happy with the way things are,though, or there's not much difference between the parties who are likely to win (most of them being towards the middle of the political spectrum). But say for example that the BNP had a serious chance of winning in any given area then voter turn out would probably be higher.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you choose not to vote you shouldn't use anything that the government provide. I know this is far fetched but if you don't vote because 'there's no-one worth voting for' why do you reside here? People that especially annoy me are people claiming benefits... who don't vote because they don't believe in politics or they think it's not worth voting. The only reason benefits exist is because of the government and I'm beginning to rant so I'm off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    People that especially annoy me are people claiming benefits... who don't vote because they don't believe in politics or they think it's not worth voting. The only reason benefits exist is because of the government and I'm beginning to rant so I'm off...
    I've always found it quite strange that voter turnout is always lowest amongst groups who would benefit from it most eg. Unemployed, working class, ethnic minorites etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I am really exicited, many of my friends aren't and that annoys me because then they complain that nothing ever changes. I have loads of things to vote for YEY

London Mayor
    Local elections
    London Assembly
    European elections.

ReputationRep:
    It is kinda worrying if you think about the amount of trees that were chopped down to make the millions of postal voting forms, each with two envelopes and loads of bits of paper. It does really seem to defeat the object of all of the paper recycling schemes that are springing up. I think also that the postal voting might put some people off who live on their own from voting - due to needing a witness (although this is pretty dubious - seen as anyone who knows you can witness it, no matter what age!

Personally I have voted, mainly out of dislike for the BNP. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    of course i'm going to vote - you can't be apathetic and then moan afterwards!! If you want to have a say that right has been given to us, and should be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    of course i'm going to vote - you can't be apathetic and then moan afterwards!! If you want to have a say that right has been given to us, and should be used.
    well put rednirt!!!!!! i tink.....

yeah it is...well put!!!!!! umm.........well.......yeah it it

ReputationRep:
    I will, simply because it's the first time I can vote. (just! it's my 18th on that very day )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    I will, simply because it's the first time I can vote. (just! it's my 18th on that very day )
    good to hear, who do you think you will vote for and out of interest will it be the same as your parents?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.