The Student Room Group

What was the best book you read at school?

Scroll to see replies

Goodnight Mr Tom definitely deserves its place on that list, i've re-read it a few times since then. Definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't yet.
Primary School: Literally any Michael Morpurgo book. Most notably for me "Arthur: High King of Britain" and "Kensuke's Kingdom"
Good evening,
As per the previous post, I also liked anything by Michael Morpurgo! In regards to secondary school, nothing really caught my eye-although I did love reading Shakespeare plays :smile: I think the best book in our school library was/is "The rise and fall of the Third Reich," I had to get it on my kindle fire and im just coming up to half way through it-it may be too dense for some but I am thoroughly enjoying it!

In regards to other "book experiences," I am a fairly mature individual (I really don't like blowing my own trumpet, believe me) and during the first year of GCSE history in year 9 I was rather interested in the whole conception of Nazi Germany and so to gain a better understanding of the motives behind Hitler's charge into a dictatorship, I attempted to obtain "Mein Kampf" from the library. The poor librarian looked mortified at this 13 year old holding out the book of Nazism to her! Thankfully I volunteered at the library this year (year 11) and she seems to have forgotten all about it! :P

Happy holidays everyone!

Sam
Reply 43
During primary school, I absolutely loved Roald Dahl books, especially Fantastic Mr Fox.
In secondary school my favourites were Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events and Lord of the Flies.
Reply 44
second the lemony snickers series, I liked it so much I read it twice. Anthony Horowitz as well with the diamond brothers and the Alex rider series.
Enjoyed the Geronimo stilton series as well
Point horror was pretty popular I think
I loved the Enid Blyton Famous Five books. It was great to believe that it was feesible for 13 year olds to wander round the countryside solving mysteries :smile:
Reply 46
Edgar Allan Poe -Tell Tale Heart
Not a book really but a short story. Still good.
North Korea undercover- John Sweeney is a wordsmith
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Primary School: Literally any Michael Morpurgo book. Most notably for me "Arthur: High King of Britain" and "Kensuke's Kingdom"

I was so gripped by Kensuke's kingdom. Think that is definitely his best book. Also liked the butterfly lion.
Reply 49
Krabat. Probably the only book read for school that I liked tbh.

I loved the Famous Five when I was a kid but that was not something we read in school. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
The hungry caterpillar
The gruffalo
Cirque du freak
Nancy Drew
Room 13
Animal Farm, Norwegian Wood, The Social Contract, The Hobbit, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, The Emperor of All Maladies, Bad Science, The Diary of Anne Frank...just to name a few.
Does anyone else think the BBC list is a bit weird? My kids are reading (or I'm reading to them) several of these books, and the difference in quality is huge:

Dogger by Shirley Hughes - I've not read.

Bone fide children's classics
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Matilda by Roald Dahl
The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

A decent short story (although not her best)
The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson

Absolutely basic picture books with little merit
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Of mice and men

This was good until we had to analyse every word!
Original post by BethBatesTSR

True 100%
:thumbsup:The Harry Potter serise!!! I love them! :wizard2: :thumbsup:
Original post by BethBatesTSR

ikr!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending