single parent student finance help Watch

charlotteD88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Trying to find out if or how my benefit will be affected when I get student finance and grants . Im single parent and have 3 children 2 at school 1 nursery doing HND LEVEL 5 public services . Any help would be great thanks x
Beardless
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on what benefits you receive. Say for instance you get Income related ESA this gives you (so i was told by council) automatic entitlement to housing benefit and will not be affected, but the amount of ESA you get may be reduced "income related". I know as a single parent you will get housing benefit anyway. worth making a couple of calls :-) to check
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Beardless)
Depends on what benefits you receive. Say for instance you get Income related ESA this gives you (so i was told by council) automatic entitlement to housing benefit and will not be affected, but the amount of ESA you get may be reduced "income related". I know as a single parent you will get housing benefit anyway. worth making a couple of calls :-) to check
Yes - income based ESA / income support entitles you to full housing benefit for your situation. You're entitled to full child tax credits / benefit (I am assuming you're not working - student finance is ignored for benefits)

As a full time student, you're also exempt from council tax.

You, unlike most students, are entitled to claim JSA / income support / ESA over the summer.
BlesseD83
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi
I was searching for a thread like this for ages. I am a single parent to a 3 yr old and I'm starting uni in Sep (first year) I understand that I could be eligible for full housing benefit but still need to check. The CCG is confusing me so I wanted to ask what happens when my son starts school next year.. will I still be entitled to CCG? Sorry if I sound dumb but I do not understand it fully and what other help can I get financially? I'm worrying that I won't be able to cope.

Thanks.
applicationa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BlesseD83)
Hi
I was searching for a thread like this for ages. I am a single parent to a 3 yr old and I'm starting uni in Sep (first year) I understand that I could be eligible for full housing benefit but still need to check. The CCG is confusing me so I wanted to ask what happens when my son starts school next year.. will I still be entitled to CCG? Sorry if I sound dumb but I do not understand it fully and what other help can I get financially? I'm worrying that I won't be able to cope.

Thanks.
You will be entitled to CCG if you have any childcare costs to claim, for example after-school clubs. You could get up to a maximum of £155.24 per week, or 85% of your total childcare costs (whichever is less). As an independent student with a child you will also be eligible for Parents' Learning Allowance, and the maximum Maintenance Grant. Have you made your application to Student Finance England yet?
BlesseD83
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by applicationa)
You will be entitled to CCG if you have any childcare costs to claim, for example after-school clubs. You could get up to a maximum of £155.24 per week, or 85% of your total childcare costs (whichever is less). As an independent student with a child you will also be eligible for Parents' Learning Allowance, and the maximum Maintenance Grant. Have you made your application to Student Finance England yet?
Hiya
No I haven't made it yet but I will have to do it very soon. I get real busy and caught up with other things. This is all new to me, it will be my first year
Thanks for the info
applicationa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya
No I haven't made it yet but I will have to do it very soon. I get real busy and caught up with other things. This is all new to me, it will be my first year
Thanks for the info
Well you need to get right on it because you've already left it pretty late. Applications for new students take six weeks to process.
BlesseD83
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well you need to get right on it because you've already left it pretty late. Applications for new students take six weeks to process.
I know but SFE needed my tax credits award letter which I couldn't find so I had to ring them up 3 wks ago for it and they've just sent it out, I received it today which I've sent off today. I was also waiting for my passport to come back which came last week so I've now sent everything off. Do you reckon they'll pay me in time to start Uni on 14th September?
applicationa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know but SFE needed my tax credits award letter which I couldn't find so I had to ring them up 3 wks ago for it and they've just sent it out, I received it today which I've sent off today. I was also waiting for my passport to come back which came last week so I've now sent everything off. Do you reckon they'll pay me in time to start Uni on 14th September?
Almost certainly not, I'm afraid. The identity check is the very first stage of application processing. If you'd been able to apply for the basic support earlier, and you were only just adding on the Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant now, you'd probably get that in time for starting uni. But since it's your whole application, it's going to take the full six weeks to process your application from SFE receiving your passport details.
GangBang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Almost certainly not, I'm afraid. The identity check is the very first stage of application processing. If you'd been able to apply for the basic support earlier, and you were only just adding on the Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant now, you'd probably get that in time for starting uni. But since it's your whole application, it's going to take the full six weeks to process your application from SFE receiving your passport details.
Hi, I hope you can help me. Is the PLA granted each year or just the first?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads