The Student Room Group

Help with Water Bills and paying them.

Hello,

So, early March I stopped living at my house I rented with 5 other people and moved into my girlfriends. While I still payed the rent I only visited there to shower briefly then I started to shower at my girlfriends after a few weeks and stopped going there at all eventually.

Now my housemates are asking me to pay my share of the water bill from January. I'm not saying I shouldn't pay as I did use the water for the first two months but I do not think paying the entire part of it is fair since I didn't use the water at all for months.

Is there a fair way to resolve this?
Reply 1
Original post by mattabaster
Hello,

So, early March I stopped living at my house I rented with 5 other people and moved into my girlfriends. While I still payed the rent I only visited there to shower briefly then I started to shower at my girlfriends after a few weeks and stopped going there at all eventually.

Now my housemates are asking me to pay my share of the water bill from January. I'm not saying I shouldn't pay as I did use the water for the first two months but I do not think paying the entire part of it is fair since I didn't use the water at all for months.

Honestly I'd just pay it. People always fall out with their friends over stupid **** (aka bills), and water is what? Like £20 a month?
You also have to remember that you did agree to live with them. The same way you can't expect them to cover your rent costs, it's also a bit tight to make them pay your share of bills too (they're usually a fixed amount).
Reply 2
Original post by k3ro
Honestly I'd just pay it. People always fall out with their friends over stupid **** (aka bills), and water is what? Like £20 a month?
You also have to remember that you did agree to live with them. The same way you can't expect them to cover your rent costs, it's also a bit tight to make them pay your share of bills too (they're usually a fixed amount).

Yeah its almost £50 for a few months so it isn't that bad. They already dislike me so I'll just pay it and cut loose.
Reply 3

Were you on a water meter? Does your supplier have a standing charge? Did you use the toilet/sink/washing machine etc while you were over?
Hello,

Most water payment methods, especially in student housing are on a pre-made water rate. So one set amount that you pay in instalments of however much negotiated with the water company. So regardless of how much water you use the amount is the same. When your housemates signed up to live in that house and to live with you, it was expected that all costs would be divided evenly. It is not you their fault, or their bank accounts fault that you decided to move out.

It is still you responsibility to pay your share.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending