Medicine to NatSci Watch

TheEronBlack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, i got an offer to study medicine at Downing college, Cambridge. I was wondering if they would let me switch to the NatSci tripos when I start in October? I would like to take the physiology of organisms, chemistry and computer science (and maths) options hopefully. Could some Cambridge students please tell me if this is a possible switch? I did all 3 sciences and single maths for A level so i fulfil the prerequisites.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheEronBlack)
Hi guys, i got an offer to study medicine at Downing college, Cambridge. I was wondering if they would let me switch to the NatSci tripos when I start in October? I would like to take the physiology of organisms, chemistry and computer science (and maths) options hopefully. Could some Cambridge students please tell me if this is a possible switch? I did all 3 sciences and single maths for A level so i fulfil the prerequisites.
Not from Cambridge but at my uni you can switch without any issues on the first week. I know one girl who changed into maths from medicine so you should be fine too.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Swapping to NatSci is easy because anybody who is good enough to get an offer for medicine is good enough for NatSci. However medicine places are strictly limited so if you leave it till October you deny somebody a place for Medicine. Email them now before the results come out in August and discuss it, even if you are not sure.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you should probably be able to change without much difficulty.

I mean, if you fail Medicine, it's normal to switch to NatSci, so I think they should probably let you swap.

EDIT: Actually, Colman's advice above is very good. If you're definitely going to swap, I imagine you should let them know quickly, as I can imagine that might affect if a medic can get in after missing an offer etc. Not sure exactly how that process works though.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is really something you need to discuss with Downing. If your mind is made up I would get in touch before results day as it may have an impact on the decisions they make about candidates who miss their offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads