How are the "New" A Levels assessed for "12 practical tasks" for external candidates?

Watch
Venusian
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
EXTERNAL candidates:
I know that there are no "Practical exams" for Science A levels after 2015. And there are 3, 2 hour papers taken at the end of the course. This leads me to believe that the practical work doesn't contribute to the final grade itself(?)

I do not know how the "practical work" of "12 practical tasks" will be assessed for the Sciences, for external candidates. I would be grateful if somebody could give me some information regarding this.
LearnNow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The practical skills are separate to the overall A' Level grade. So, if students do not gain the practical endorsement, they can still receive the A' Level qualification at the end of the two years.

However,a number of Universities have already stated: if a student is going on to do a Science based degree, they would expect students to have a pass in the practical endorsement. You should check with the relevant University what their exact requirements are. See the following link: http://www.learnnow.org.uk/a-level-r...fications.html

Hope this helps!
LearnOnline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Venusian)
EXTERNAL candidates:
I know that there are no "Practical exams" for Science A levels after 2015. And there are 3, 2 hour papers taken at the end of the course. This leads me to believe that the practical work doesn't contribute to the final grade itself(?)

I do not know how the "practical work" of "12 practical tasks" will be assessed for the Sciences, for external candidates. I would be grateful if somebody could give me some information regarding this.
The 12 practical assessments are now part of the Practical Endorsement (no longer part of the A level itself) and do not contribute to UCAS points.

We will assess these in our labs over 4 days (2 x 2 day sessions) as the requirement it for the student (you) to be observed when completing the practical tasks and issued with a pass or fail mark. It is like a diving test, you are not given a grade, you either pass or fail.

In order to achieve your Practical Endorsement as a private candidate, you will need to find a centre who offers the lab sessions to private candidates.

You do not need the practical endorsement for UCAS points, but you will need the endorsement to start a science degree. You can complete A level Chemistry without the practical endorsement and use the UCAS points towards a business degree application, but for a chemistry application you will need the Practical Endorsement as the Uni will want to know you have lab skills.
Drrobinscott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have spoken to AQA about the practical endorsements and have been informed that 2x2 days for practical endorsement is unacceptable and many more days attendance will be required. In short the practical endorsement needs to be at the same level and standard as the endorsement given after following a 2 year college course where clearly 2x2 day attendance falls well short.
Fizzyx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, i'm doing edexcel chemistry and biology as an external candidate. Wanted to know how to do the practical endorsement as an external candidate? And is it really necessary to do this if applying to dentistry at uni?

Thanks in advance!
LearnOnline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drrobinscott)
I have spoken to AQA about the practical endorsements and have been informed that 2x2 days for practical endorsement is unacceptable and many more days attendance will be required. In short the practical endorsement needs to be at the same level and standard as the endorsement given after following a 2 year college course where clearly 2x2 day attendance falls well short.
We ran our Practical Endorsement workshops this year and the awarding body monitor visited our centre to assess our work.

All awarding body criteria were satisfied and the inspector was very impressed.

We are approved to conduct intensive Practical Endorsement workshops for the following awarding bodies, AQA, Eduqas, Pearson (Edexcel), OCR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads