Ideas for texts to read this summer, going into Year 9

Watch
SnailInAShell123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm going into Year 9 next year and am an avid reader with a talent for writing and analysing texts, and a passion for English. I may want to go into a career in English or law and am looking for some intellectually stimulating texts to read this Summer as i prepare to go into Year 9. I've read some classics, namely: Animal Farm,Jane Eyre, Pride and prejudiced,Frankenstein ,Oliver Twist,A Christmas Carol, most of Shakespeare, The Importance of Being Ernest,Sense and sensibility etc. Does anyone have any idea of some intellectually stimulating texts to read this summer?
User2082079
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Handmaid's Tale, The Color Purple, Wuthering Heights, A Thousand Splendid Suns…
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SnailInAShell123)
I'm going into Year 9 next year and am an avid reader with a talent for writing and analysing texts, and a passion for English. I may want to go into a career in English or law and am looking for some intellectually stimulating texts to read this Summer as i prepare to go into Year 9. I've read some classics, namely: Animal Farm,Jane Eyre, Pride and prejudiced,Frankenstein ,Oliver Twist,A Christmas Carol, most of Shakespeare, The Importance of Being Ernest,Sense and sensibility etc. Does anyone have any idea of some intellectually stimulating texts to read this summer?
Oh, a very avid reader!

Dracula, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Catch-22, 1984, The Lord of the Flies, Great Expectations, Atonement, Alices Adventures into Wonderland.

Those are good considering your age.
Andy Social
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I found reading dystopian/allegorical texts (like Animal Farm and Frankenstein) really helped open up my mind to the nuances of literary devices and techniques, enabling me to read with greater awareness, depth and perception.

Suggested books:
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed
Yan Martel - The Life of Pi
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
Philip K. **** - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Arthur Miller - The Crucibe
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
RL Stevension - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
PD James - The Children of Men

Good luck!
Goodmandan1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you really want an intellectual challenge try some modernist and postmodernist authors. Try reading some William Faulkner and/or Virginia Wolfe. These are some great modernist writers who really experimented with form. Postmodernism is also a great movement. Many of the best postmodernism novels are infamous for being very difficult. Infinite Jest and Gravity Rainbow are often considered masterpieces.
Goodmandan1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also don't forget Kafka. He is very well respected in literary circles.
LannaBanana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could also try reading some poetry it really helps expand your ability to think critically about what you're reading. I'm gonna combine my answer with the above poster and suggest modernist poetry! Try Eliot's The Waste Land first. It's VERY open to analysis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not even I would read anything by Faulkner or Kafka and I'm going into my 2nd year degree, reading English Lit! They are some serious authors that are very challenging!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.72%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.37%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.67%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.15%

Watched Threads