The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TheChosenOne
I am an American student trying to make a decision between these two institiutions for my undergraduate studies. From a curiosity standpoint, would you say Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, or Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, is more prestigious internationally? I want to study law eventually, in case you were wondering. Thank you for your insights.

-TheChosenOne-

From the ignorant Britsih point of view (i.e. mine), I would say that Yale is probably better know over here for arts (which I will say includes Law), whereas I tend to associate Stanford with sciences :confused: . Our knowledge tends to be based on what we percieve to be the best though so might not carry much weight. They are both great places to study though so many congrats of getting in!!! :smile:
Reply 2
Hard, I've heard good stuff about both of them, though I'm partial to Harvard and MIT :smile:

I'd say Yale, it sounds like the american oxford. But then reese witherspoon in legally blonde went to stanford didn't she...

Hard choice, I'd choose whichever one you'd feel happier at.
Reply 3
Actually, I'd considered both of those universities, as the idea of studying abroad, especially in the States was really appealing to me. Stanford came across, in both its own 'propoganda' and from other people as the best non Ivy-leaguer school in the US, if not better than most of the Ivy-leaguers. Yale obviously though, is far more prestigous especially to people who don't really know much about US schools, but to anyone who's considered applying themselves, I'd doubt that Yale has much more prestige than Stanford. Stanford came across as a much friendlier place too and if I were you I'd definately goto Stanford, unless there's a clear distinction in the quality or teaching of their law courses (which I have no idea about). Eitherway though, both universities are well-respected and I'm sure you'll enjoy expanding your horizons at either one.
Reply 4
Mysticmin

I'd say Yale, it sounds like the american oxford. But then reese witherspoon in legally blonde went to stanford didn't she...

If she's there then I would definitely be on my way...*stares dreamily into distance* :biggrin:
Reply 5
Leekey
If she's there then I would definitely be on my way...*stares dreamily into distance* :biggrin:

stop it :tongue: , I'll send you a barbie doll for christmas (only j/king, I'm sure she's a nice person)
Did you do any revision today?
Reply 6
She went to Harvard in Legally Blonde
Reply 7
Mysticmin

Did you do any revision today?

I went into college (during halfterm) *puffs out chest with pride*!!! :biggrin: Still not liking p3 at all but I now think I can get a near perfect p1, thus making my p3 score less important!!! :smile:
Reply 8
~Sam~
She went to Harvard in Legally Blonde

Oh. Oh well. Haven't seen either of them. Sorry :redface: But I have read the back cover of the books they're based on:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0751534552/qid=1086295585/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-1863850-3207038

Trust the movie to twist it :biggrin:
Reply 9
*gasp* you're so lucky to be able to make that choice!
Leekey
I went into college (during halfterm) *puffs out chest with pride*!!! :biggrin: Still not liking p3 at all but I now think I can get a near perfect p1, thus making my p3 score less important!!! :smile:

Ah brilliant, just tell yourself there's a reese whitherspoon clone on your course next year.
Reply 11
Mysticmin
Oh. Oh well. Haven't seen either of them. Sorry :redface: But I have read the back cover of the books they're based on:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0751534552/qid=1086295585/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-1863850-3207038

Trust the movie to twist it :biggrin:

2 Questions...

1) Did the book have pictures?
2) If yes, was the girl really that pretty? :confused: :smile:
Reply 12
Mysticmin
Ah brilliant, just tell yourself there's a reese whitherspoon clone on your course next year.

Yes, on my archeology course (shhhh!!!)... :wink:
Reply 13
yale is more prestigious for its law school but i would say they are equally well-known and respected. people will be impressed regardless of which one you choose. having said that, i would rather be in palo alto than new haven. connecticut scares me.
Leekey
2 Questions...

1) Did the book have pictures?
2) If yes, was the girl really that pretty? :confused: :smile:

Don't think it had any pictures, it was a chick lit book (being me I immediately refused to read it, am adverse to chick lit).
Reply 15
Mysticmin
Don't think it had any pictures, it was a chick lit book (being me I immediately refused to read it, am adverse to chick lit).

Am I the only-one that thinks chick lit is those dirty books that girlies read? :biggrin:
Leekey
Am I the only-one that thinks chick lit is those dirty books that girlies read? :biggrin:

Dirty? if compared to fhm and the like it's like the stories you read to toddlers! :tongue:
Reply 17
Morgan
Actually, I'd considered both of those universities, as the idea of studying abroad, especially in the States was really appealing to me. Stanford came across, in both its own 'propoganda' and from other people as the best non Ivy-leaguer school in the US, if not better than most of the Ivy-leaguers. Yale obviously though, is far more prestigous especially to people who don't really know much about US schools, but to anyone who's considered applying themselves, I'd doubt that Yale has much more prestige than Stanford. Stanford came across as a much friendlier place too and if I were you I'd definately goto Stanford, unless there's a clear distinction in the quality or teaching of their law courses (which I have no idea about). Eitherway though, both universities are well-respected and I'm sure you'll enjoy expanding your horizons at either one.

Thank you for responding.

To clarify, one does not study law at the undergraduate level in the States. At Stanford and Yale, there is no such thing as a pre-law major, per se (although many pre-law students study political science). My desire is to take advantage of the best department available at whatever school I attend, so, if I go to Yale I will probably study history and at Stanford psychology.

When you say Yale is considerably more prestigious, do you mean that it is just more visible in the UK than Stanford, or do people know of Stanford but just consider it to not be at the level of Yale? Could you expand upon your assertion? Thank you.
Reply 18
As for Legally Blonde, in the novel, Reese Witherspoon's character studied at Stanford Law School. The producers of the film adaptation, however, decided to move her to Harvard Law School because they thought it would make her more of a "fish out of water" (California girl in New England).

To note, the actress Reese Witherspoon studied at Stanford University.
Reply 19
anonymity
yale is more prestigious for its law school but i would say they are equally well-known and respected. people will be impressed regardless of which one you choose. having said that, i would rather be in palo alto than new haven. connecticut scares me.

Is it New Haven that scares you (I could understand this) or the state of Connecticut as a whole?

Latest

Trending

Trending