Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stanford vs. Yale watch

Announcements

(Original post by TheChosenOne)
    Thank you for responding.

To clarify, one does not study law at the undergraduate level in the States. At Stanford and Yale, there is no such thing as a pre-law major, per se (although many pre-law students study political science). My desire is to take advantage of the best department available at whatever school I attend, so, if I go to Yale I will probably study history and at Stanford psychology.

When you say Yale is considerably more prestigious, do you mean that it is just more visible in the UK than Stanford, or do people know of Stanford but just consider it to not be at the level of Yale? Could you expand upon your assertion? Thank you.
    I think that much of what you will hear from British students will be based on how well the universities / schools actually market themselves in the UK. For instance Harvard and Yale are two US universities that are almost household names in britain due to the fact that we seem to hear about them much more frequently. Anyone with a grounding in academics (i.e. students, researchers, lecturers etc...) will undoubtedly know of both Stanford and Yale but due to the seeming lack of UK marketing one the part of the former, the latter is more of a "brand-name" in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    As for Legally Blonde, in the novel, Reese Witherspoon's character studied at Stanford Law School. The producers of the film adaptation, however, decided to move her to Harvard Law School because they thought it would make her more of a "fish out of water" (California girl in New England).

To note, the actress Reese Witherspoon studied at Stanford University.
    Oh no, she has brains as well, I'm starting to get a bit jealous...

Sorry for hijacking your thread

As for Legally Blonde, in the novel, Reese Witherspoon's character studied at Stanford Law School. The producers of the film adaptation, however, decided to move her to Harvard Law School because they thought it would make her more of a "fish out of water" (California girl in New England).

To note, the actress Reese Witherspoon studied at Stanford University.
    To do list....

1) Get into Edinburgh
    2) Get onto Stanford exchange programme
    3) Wait for Stanford alumni party / function
    4) Seduce Reese
    5) Buy bread and milk

ReputationRep:
    Is it New Haven that scares you (I could understand this) or the state of Connecticut as a whole?
    i haven't been to new haven, i've heard of its reputation though.
    CT doesn't really scare me as a state [unlike, say, texas], when i visited new london it just seemed quite boring and the weather is not as nice as in california but i'll give you that my experience of connecticut is limited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I think that much of what you will hear from British students will be based on how well the universities / schools actually market themselves in the UK. For instance Harvard and Yale are two US universities that are almost household names in britain due to the fact that we seem to hear about them much more frequently. Anyone with a grounding in academics (i.e. students, researchers, lecturers etc...) will undoubtedly know of both Stanford and Yale but due to the seeming lack of UK marketing one the part of the former, the latter is more of a "brand-name" in the UK.
    Out of curiosity, how would you say Harvard and Yale market in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    harvard > yale
    even though that might change now that yale got 100M$ in donations.

ReputationRep:
    As for Reese having brains, please keep in mind the nature of the admissions process at American universities. It is not a meritocracy like in the UK. Prior to applying to Stanford, Reese was already quite well known. If you are famous in the United States, you will likely be admitted to whatever college you apply to, as schools love free publicity. I have no idea whether or not she is actually intelligent but the fact that she attended Stanford does not mean that she necessarily is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymity)
    harvard > yale
    even though that might change now that yale got 100M$ in donations.
    I was admitted to Harvard, as well, but did not like it. Stanford recently gained about $150,000,000 from the internet search engine Google going public. Google was created by two Stanford graduates.

Out of curiosity, how would you say Harvard and Yale market in the UK?
    I don't think that a lot of what they do is not actually a concerted effort on the part of the institutions themselves. In my opinion thier brand name is more the result of the media in this country portraying those particular insitution to the at the top of the US ladder. There are a countless numbers references to both in the media (both Uk produced and US produced) and the idea that they are the best of the best in the US is just something that has worked its way into the British mindset.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, if you have a crush on Reese, try to see one of her earlier movies called Twilight. You can thank me later.

By the way, if you have a crush on Reese, try to see one of her earlier movies called Twilight. You can thank me later.
    Not just Reese my friend, Im a fan of all blonde, curvy slightly dizzy girls I'll take a look at that flick though!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was admitted to Harvard, as well, but did not like it. Stanford recently gained about $150,000,000 from the internet search engine Google going public. Google was created by two Stanford graduates.
    i knew about google
    like i said, they're all extremely good universities.
    have you checked out the professors for the courses you're interested in?
    that might be a good way to choose.

ReputationRep:

To clarify, one does not study law at the undergraduate level in the States. At Stanford and Yale, there is no such thing as a pre-law major, per se (although many pre-law students study political science). My desire is to take advantage of the best department available at whatever school I attend, so, if I go to Yale I will probably study history and at Stanford psychology.

When you say Yale is considerably more prestigious, do you mean that it is just more visible in the UK than Stanford, or do people know of Stanford but just consider it to not be at the level of Yale? Could you expand upon your assertion? Thank you.
    S'okay, without advice from other people I don't know where I'd have ended up going.

Hmm, I forgot about your wacky education system , I'd probably be more inclined to go for Yale then. Its a well recognised name over here, and even though I've always had an interest in America I never even knew about Stanford until I started thinking about American schools. Yale is definately more prestigous to those who aren't familiar with American schools, though Stanford may be better for American prospects. My family all know about Yale, but when I mentioned I was applying to Stanford they started asking me about where and what it was.

Stanford is in a beautiful area though, I'd even considered Portland State because of it being in a similarily striking yet quite vibrant area, I don't know much about Conneticut, but California definately sounds like a place I'd like to be.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Yale. In the UK and, I believe, worldwide, in terms of prestige it goes something like this:

Harvard
    Yale
    Princeton
    Stanford, Non-HYP Ivys

I've spoken to a lot of HYP grads, and while they all respect each other, they distinctly look down on Stanford.

Yale has advantages beyond prestige. Firstly, I think it's a better size. Stanford is too large, it makes admission less competitive and therefore the qualification less prestigious. Secondly, location - the student community in New England is, in my view, the best in the world bar none. You are just surrounded by fantastic universities everywhere you go. Stanford, meanwhile, is in the middle of nowhere. Yale is more international than Stanford - the former offers need blind admissions to foreign students; the latter does not. I admit I know far less about Stanford than I do about HYP, but I would definitely, defintely, say Yale.

ReputationRep:
    Yale (slightly). Haven't all prospective undergrads had to formally accept a college by this stage though? Hmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I don't think that a lot of what they do is not actually a concerted effort on the part of the institutions themselves. In my opinion thier brand name is more the result of the media in this country portraying those particular insitution to the at the top of the US ladder. There are a countless numbers references to both in the media (both Uk produced and US produced) and the idea that they are the best of the best in the US is just something that has worked its way into the British mindset.
    Interesting. It may have something to do with their closer proximation to the UK in relation to Stanford. College popularity is very much contingent on regional differences. For example, in the States, in the South and in the West Stanford is generally considered tops. In the North East, most people prefer Harvard and Yale. In terms of national reputation, Gallup polls conducted in the states have shown that when asked what the best university in the country is, both uneducated people and college graduates choose Stanford after only Harvard in this order:

1) Harvard
    2) Stanford
    3) MIT
    3) Princeton
    4) Yale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Yale (slightly). Haven't all prospective undergrads had to formally accept a college by this stage though? Hmmmm.
    Wait lists.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. It may have something to do with their closer proximation to the UK in relation to Stanford. College popularity is very much contingent on regional differences. For example, in the States, in the South and in the West Stanford is generally considered tops. In the North East, most people prefer Harvard and Yale. In terms of national reputation, Gallup polls conducted in the states have shown that when asked what the best university in the country is, both uneducated people and college graduates choose Stanford after only Harvard in this order:

1) Harvard
    2) Stanford
    3) MIT
    3) Princeton
    4) Yale
    I'd imagine your primary conern isn't uneducated people, but admissions tutors at top Grad Schools or Wall Street Companies. Though to be honest, both universities are great, so you might as well choose whichever you like best. Fly out there, get a feel for the place, then decide. Personally I'd choose Yale because of it's size, location, and the House System which I think is quite nice. But it's up to you.

ReputationRep:

interesting that if you would change your course depending on which college you choose. it seems to me that in the uk students tend to choose their course first and their university second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathsheba)
    interesting that if you would change your course depending on which college you choose. it seems to me that in the uk students tend to choose their course first and their university second.
    It's a totally different system: in the US, you spend only about half your time studying your "major", the rest of the time is spent on electives and core courses and various other weird and wonderful things. Even more importantly, you don't choose your major until your second (or even third year) of four. It's also relatively easy to change your mind about majors, and take different combinations in terms of joint majors or major-minors. So majors really aren't as important as they are in the UK.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.