The Student Room Group

if homeless person knocked on your door and asked to stay the night?

what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stehay
what would you do?

Shoo
Original post by stehay
what would you do?

I doubt I would even open the door.
Reply 3
I would probably invite them in and ask if they want anything to eat/drink. It ultimately depends on how comfortable I feel about the situation and person at the time.

EDIT: Also, a few people who have commented below me automatically assumed that the homeless person would be a man, and have used male gender pronouns. There are lots of homeless women and teenagers too :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't let him stay.. What if he woke up in the middle of the night and killed me/ stole all of my stuff?
If that happened in Ireland where I live, id have him indoors with a hot cuppa and id get a bed made up for him no bother.

If it happened in Birmingham. Id shut the door hard.
Depending on whether he is nice I would either tell him to go away or I would pull my phone out and search for the nearest YMCA/homeless shelter
Have a chat, assess them, gauge how legitimate their situation is, see if they have a 'good reason' to be homeless. Then probably drive them to the local charity homeless shelter if they seem alright, maybe get them some decent food on the way.
Shut the door and go back to bed. :angry: Unless it was a tidy lass. :colondollar:
Original post by silverbolt
If that happened in Ireland where I live, id have him indoors with a hot cuppa and id get a bed made up for him no bother.

If it happened in Birmingham. Id shut the door hard.

Ruuuude! Kidding. Anyway,in London it's never safe to trust anybody let alone invite them into your own house.
**** that
Reply 11
Shoe him/her away from the house.
Reply 12
tell them to get lost
Original post by Elm Tree
I wouldn't let him stay.. What if he woke up in the middle of the night and killed me/ stole all of my stuff?

I like that he has gone to sleep perfectly fine, woken at some point during the night and suddenly decided to murder/rob you, rather than having planned it and lain awake waiting.
Original post by Star Light
Have a chat, assess them, gauge how legitimate their situation is, see if they have a 'good reason' to be homeless. Then probably drive them to the local charity homeless shelter if they seem alright, maybe get them some decent food on the way.

This. I'm a humanitarian, at heart.
How do you know what his intentions are... it might not even be a homelesss person but a poser who is actually a thief, a rapist or a murderer. I don't let strangers into my house, no way.
Original post by Musie Suzie
I like that he has gone to sleep perfectly fine, woken at some point during the night and suddenly decided to murder/rob you, rather than having planned it and lain awake waiting.

Don't forget the likely sexual assault before the murdering and robbing. :h:
No
They may steal my goodies
Reply 18
Its conceivable that I would if they seemed legitimate and came across as (e.g.) broadly middle class and only temporarily homeless due to some emergency situation rather a vagrant, but realistically in 99% of cases the answer is going to be no.

Its the same principle where in the past I have been willing to give £20 to a random person on the street who asked me for money since they seemed like a normal person who had their wallet stolen and couldn't afford to get home, yet I would not usually give even £1 to a beggar.. Basically if the person seems that they are "someone like me" and they are in a situation I could realistically see myself being in, then I would be prepared to do a lot to help, but this does not apply to the vast, vast, vast majority of homeless people.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd probably call a homeless charity or something - unfortunately with the society that we live in, it's not safe to invite a stranger into your home.

Quick Reply

Latest