MissDetermined
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, just to give an idea, I'll be in my mid twenties when I start university next year.
I'll be studying a health care course which involves doing 50/50 between uni and placements.
I was wondering how other health care students (particularly older students) went about arranging accommodation? Did you apply for halls of residence in your first year, or arrange to live in a flat/house share?

Roughly how much did you pay per week/month for this?

I'd be hoping to live in halls in the first year, if there is a separate area for mature students and/or health care students.

Worrying about the cost of everything as i'm assuming the cost of accom will come out of the maintenance loan and grant money we receive?

I'll be trying to work bank shifts in between uni and placement but it's not guaranteed or stable.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MissDetermined)
Hi, just to give an idea, I'll be in my mid twenties when I start university next year.
I'll be studying a health care course which involves doing 50/50 between uni and placements.
I was wondering how other health care students (particularly older students) went about arranging accommodation? Did you apply for halls of residence in your first year, or arrange to live in a flat/house share?

I'd be hoping to live in halls in the first year, if there is a separate area for mature students and/or health care students.

Worrying about the cost of everything as i'm assuming the cost of accom will come out of the maintenance loan and grant money we receive?

I'll be trying to work bank shifts in between uni and placement but it's not guaranteed or stable.

The cost of halls varies wildly by uni. Most universities put health students altogether because of the longer term dates and consequently longer halls contract needed. You don't get a maintenance grant as a healthcare student, you get a reduced rate maintenance loan of around £2k and an NHS bursary- you are expected to use this to fund costs like accomodation.
greenjellybean
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Heya!

I'm a mature student (although I've nearly finished uni!). I also did a healthcare course and worked bank/agency shifts when I could.
In my first year of uni I stayed in Halls (granted I wasn't a mature student then!) but I've just recently finished a masters degree in London and I was definitely a mature student then!
I stayed in student accommodation (Unite students - I have a review about it on my blog http://samsmemoirs.blogspot.co.uk)

As far as I know, there are no longer maintenance grants of students (but I may be mistaken). From my experience, accommodation obviously varies in price wherever you live. In Norwich, after my first year or halls, my rent was £350 a month (that was renting a single room with all bills included in a house share). In London my rent was nearly £700 a month (thats a single ensuite room)

Good luck!
MissDetermined
Rep:
?
(Original post by greenjellybean)
Heya!

I'm a mature student (although I've nearly finished uni!). I also did a healthcare course and worked bank/agency shifts when I could.
In my first year of uni I stayed in Halls (granted I wasn't a mature student then!) but I've just recently finished a masters degree in London and I was definitely a mature student then!
I stayed in student accommodation (Unite students - I have a review about it on my blog http://samsmemoirs.blogspot.co.uk)

As far as I know, there are no longer maintenance grants of students (but I may be mistaken). From my experience, accommodation obviously varies in price wherever you live. In Norwich, after my first year or halls, my rent was £350 a month (that was renting a single room with all bills included in a house share). In London my rent was nearly £700 a month (thats a single ensuite room)

Good luck!
Hey! Thanks for your reply. Just had a little peek at your blog, very interesting and informative :-) I will check out that housing company and keep it book marked for if I need to look for accommodation outside of uni! Which I probably will, because halls in London aren't cheap!

I'll have no idea what i'm entitled to until I apply but I'll aiming to save a bit before I start uni to put a deposit down somewhere and buy some things! 350 a month would be great!
Vita Student
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Hey MissDetermined

What University do you intend on going to or have you not decided on that yet?

For a mature student, we would definitely recommend you living in private accommodation. Not only because your a mature student but also because of the course you are looking to study. You won't want to be woken up at 3am when you have just got home from a placement or have to be up at the crack of dawn!

We have plenty of mature students staying with us so if you every have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch at [email protected]

Sophie
www.vitastudent.com
MissDetermined
Rep:
?
Hey, thanks for your reply!

Looking at London, Brighton, Southampton, York! I noticed you cater for accommodation in Southampton, so if I end up there I'll have a look at what you have nearer the time :-)

I won't be studying until next year, so plenty of time to get organised!

Thanks again!
Vita Student
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Looking at London, Brighton, Southampton, York! I noticed you cater for accommodation in Southampton, so if I end up there I'll have a look at what you have nearer the time :-)

Thanks again!
Wonderful stuff Feel free to get back in touch when you start planning and we will answer and questions you have about being a mature student we have plenty of great advice on hand!

Sophie
Vita Student
Cate1976
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you apply for halls, your uni will probably have at least one block in each type of halls for mature students and will put those doing healthcare together to avoid anyone being on their own when non healthcare students go home for the summer. Depending on the size of each flat & number of mature healthcare students, mature healthcare students maybe spread over 2 or more flats. If you look in the accommodation sections of the websites for unis you're thinking about, you might find the info there on how they place healthcare students & mature students. If you email them, they'll probably tell you how they place mature healthcare students.
greenjellybean
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! Thanks for your reply. Just had a little peek at your blog, very interesting and informative :-) I will check out that housing company and keep it book marked for if I need to look for accommodation outside of uni! Which I probably will, because halls in London aren't cheap!

I'll have no idea what i'm entitled to until I apply but I'll aiming to save a bit before I start uni to put a deposit down somewhere and buy some things! 350 a month would be great!
Don't forget to look at NHS bursaries if you're a healthcare student!
universityliving
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not a problem you can easily find an accommodation closer to your university at reasonable rates. Just visit Theuniversityliving.com which helps students in finding student accommodations online in UK, USA and Australia next to your university……Hope this might help.
MissDetermined
Rep:
?
(Original post by greenjellybean)
Don't forget to look at NHS bursaries if you're a healthcare student!
I won't thank you!
(Original post by universityliving)
Not a problem you can easily find an accommodation closer to your university at reasonable rates. Just visit Theuniversityliving.com which helps students in finding student accommodations online in UK, USA and Australia next to your university……Hope this might help.
Okay, thanks will take a look
gazwj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you chose york and are looking to go through an estate agent, I urge you to stay as far away from AP York as possible! You will have to deal with an agent, who is rude, abnoxious and constantly patronises you and treats you like a second rate person. In addition they we're also incredibly slow to deal with any issue we brought up. We we're without a washing machine for 3 months, despite constant emails, no boiler during winter! and simple things like no access to the shed. Following moving out they also wish to deduct unreasonable and extortionate amount of money, for issues we that we're out of our control and issues we made them aware of throughout the year.

Thanks again!
Fresh Student Living
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I hope you don’t mind jumping in here.

We've got some great private halls around London where you can choose between a shared flat sharing with others or having your own Studio apartment which is self contained but still allows you to enjoy the social side to the building. Our buildings also have some fantastic social spaces, and some have a Gym and even a swimming pool!

Take a look at our website for more details, photos, pricing and to arrange a viewing - http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/locations/london or check us out on Facebook!

Many Thanks,
Katie @ Fresh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads