Stuck for ideas for the A2 English Language investigation HELP PLEASE!!!!! Watch

Shenille98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So before we broke up for the six weeks our teacher said we had to have an introduction and methodology done for when we come back but i have no idea what to do the investigation on, i was thinking of doing it on how gender roles have changed in films then compare and old film and a new one but i don't know I'm really stuck for ideas and my teacher scares me any tips please?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shenille98)
So before we broke up for the six weeks our teacher said we had to have an introduction and methodology done for when we come back but i have no idea what to do the investigation on, i was thinking of doing it on how gender roles have changed in films then compare and old film and a new one but i don't know I'm really stuck for ideas and my teacher scares me any tips please?
Hey,
I've just done this coursework and got a B. Your idea sounds ok, most people in my class looked at gender roles, either through comparing the gender roles of male and females over time, or just focussing on one gender and looking at how their representation has changed over time (I used cosmetic adverts from the 1920s, 1950s, and 2010s, and looked at the language used, such as empty adjectives/ colours and their connotations, and the way women were presented, like their clothing and what is suggested about society's gender expectations). Films might be difficult because you'll have to transcribe the scene you want to use, and you'll probably need to find films of a similar genre (both action films, both romances etc), and you'll have to use a few films to make sure your findings are representative of the particular period you are investigating. However, you can easily incorporate lots of context (particular legislation concerning gender at the time, maybe see how the war changed the gender roles of women, fashions such as the Flapper Era etc). I personally would stick to using newspapers or advertisements to investigate gender roles/ the way in which gender is presented, as they are easy and quick to annotate (so you can do a few for each time period or decade), easy to find online, and you can investigate the graphological aspect with more detail. Sorry that this was so long btw
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have not done this course- did English Language and Literature B- but I have helped someone on TSR with this coursework before. I can't say I'm an expert but I'm willing to help!

Firstly, don't worry- your teacher will only expect a first draft, not a perfected introduction and methodology. The initial drafts I sent for my ELLB4 coursework were awful... but you get there

Next, have you checked out all the resources online for help with this coursework? The most obvious sources are from AQA themselves- check out the specification and try and get your hands on the AQA textbook for your course, providing you've not already. Also, ask anyone from the year above you, or someone on TSR, for an example piece of their coursework, if they don't mind. Exemplars are the best way to see, in action, what the examiners expect.

From what I can gather, you need to make a hypothesis (introduction) and explain how you intend to test this theory (methodology). I expect your hypothesis will be heavily biased- 'Old films conform to archaic gender stereotypes'- and then you must seek to disprove this theory. There are two aspects to this enquiry- age of source and gender. Perhaps test this hypothesis through looking for:

*diachronic language change- to prove sources are old or new.
*presence, or otherwise, of feminist theory- more fem theory= more liberal.

I hope this helps!
Shenille98
Rep:
?
(Original post by *-*.;[url="tel:58037887")
58037887[/url]]Hey,
I've just done this coursework and got a B. Your idea sounds ok, most people in my class looked at gender roles, either through comparing the gender roles of male and females over time, or just focussing on one gender and looking at how their representation has changed over time (I used cosmetic adverts from the 1920s, 1950s, and 2010s, and looked at the language used, such as empty adjectives/ colours and their connotations, and the way women were presented, like their clothing and what is suggested about society's gender expectations). Films might be difficult because you'll have to transcribe the scene you want to use, and you'll probably need to find films of a similar genre (both action films, both romances etc), and you'll have to use a few films to make sure your findings are representative of the particular period you are investigating. However, you can easily incorporate lots of context (particular legislation concerning gender at the time, maybe see how the war changed the gender roles of women, fashions such as the Flapper Era etc). I personally would stick to using newspapers or advertisements to investigate gender roles/ the way in which gender is presented, as they are easy and quick to annotate (so you can do a few for each time period or decade), easy to find online, and you can investigate the graphological aspect with more detail. Sorry that this was so long btw
Thank you so much I will be sure to look into and it's okay that your answers long haha more for me to think about thanks again for your help
Shenille98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elisha Rebekah;[url="tel:58038345")
58038345[/url]]I have not done this course- did English Language and Literature B- but I have helped someone on TSR with this coursework before. I can't say I'm an expert but I'm willing to help!

Firstly, don't worry- your teacher will only expect a first draft, not a perfected introduction and methodology. The initial drafts I sent for my ELLB4 coursework were awful... but you get there

Next, have you checked out all the resources online for help with this coursework? The most obvious sources are from AQA themselves- check out the specification and try and get your hands on the AQA textbook for your course, providing you've not already. Also, ask anyone from the year above you, or someone on TSR, for an example piece of their coursework, if they don't mind. Exemplars are the best way to see, in action, what the examiners expect.

From what I can gather, you need to make a hypothesis (introduction) and explain how you intend to test this theory (methodology). I expect your hypothesis will be heavily biased- 'Old films conform to archaic gender stereotypes'- and then you must seek to disprove this theory. There are two aspects to this enquiry- age of source and gender. Perhaps test this hypothesis through looking for:

*diachronic language change- to prove sources are old or new.
*presence, or otherwise, of feminist theory- more fem theory= more liberal.

I hope this helps!
This does really help thank you I need all the help I can since I want a B in the course thanks again.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much I will be sure to look into and it's okay that your answers long haha more for me to think about thanks again for your help
Its ok, I was stuck at the beginning too Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help. And good luck with it!!
Shenille98
Rep:
?
(Original post by *-*.;[url="tel:58058365")
58058365[/url]]Its ok, I was stuck at the beginning too Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help. And good luck with it!!
I will thanks again you've been really helpful 😊
kelseycadden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by *-*.)
Hey,
I've just done this coursework and got a B. Your idea sounds ok, most people in my class looked at gender roles, either through comparing the gender roles of male and females over time, or just focussing on one gender and looking at how their representation has changed over time (I used cosmetic adverts from the 1920s, 1950s, and 2010s...
HI
just wandering, ive used your idea for my coursework and just wandering- did you include any quantitative date? or is it all qualitative data?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed