Georgiecat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I applied to uni in October, and originally applied to four chemistry courses and one Natsci course (which would let me do geography, earth sciences and chemistry combined, and which I really wanted to get on). In January natsci rejected me, but all my chemistry courses gave me offers, so I firmed Bristol and insured Manchester. I think I want to switch to a geography degree, because that's something I'm a lot more interested in (and a lot better at than chemistry tbh), but I dropped geography after AS because my other a levels (bio, maths, chem) were more helpful for getting into a chem degree. I'm planning on emailing Bristol and Manchester asap asking to change course to geography, but if they say no (which, given my lack of A2 geography, is very possible) what should I do? Stick with chemistry or ask to go into clearing? I don't despise chemistry but I don't particularly enjoy it either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If Geography is what you want to do then email asap, and if they reject you could do a gap year or I'm afraid you'll have to just go to a bit lower ranked Uni's which is still not bad. The course should be the most important thing, Uni shouldn't matter as much. So if your passionate about geography and want to do this you may need to sacrifice Manchester and Bristol, but at the end of the day you'll be doing a course you love and likely get better results.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Georgiecat)
I applied to uni in October, and originally applied to four chemistry courses and one Natsci course (which would let me do geography, earth sciences and chemistry combined, and which I really wanted to get on). In January natsci rejected me, but all my chemistry courses gave me offers, so I firmed Bristol and insured Manchester. I think I want to switch to a geography degree, because that's something I'm a lot more interested in (and a lot better at than chemistry tbh), but I dropped geography after AS because my other a levels (bio, maths, chem) were more helpful for getting into a chem degree. I'm planning on emailing Bristol and Manchester asap asking to change course to geography, but if they say no (which, given my lack of A2 geography, is very possible) what should I do? Stick with chemistry or ask to go into clearing? I don't despise chemistry but I don't particularly enjoy it either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't particularly enjoy a subject and if you cant see yourself being passionate enough to study it for 3 years. So if you dont love it don't do chemistry. Clearing is so of course risky but if geogrpahy is something your passionate then go for it
Harper Adams University
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It would be worth ringing a few unis that offer Geography courses and discussing your situation with the admissions team. They will be able to let you know if you are likely to be accepted and guide you through the process of applying through Clearing. (FWIW, we are starting a Geog course this year). It can't hurt to ask - knowledge is power. - Jac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads