The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Biology 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by muchensmile
Yeah I guess we could pick questions that seem relevant to the course and to them...not much else we could do :P

Yup, unfortunately :/
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Revised AH papers are pretty relevant, my teacher said so anyways.
But as you said I'd first use the exemplar and specimen paper, and after that you could attempt relevant pastpapers from revised AH, I would mostly only use the essays at the end of the paper as they are mostly relevant to the cfe course and since not many essay questions are there to look at It's quite useful

Had a look at the CfE specimen paper - looks similar enough to the old advanced higher. Yeah you won't be able to do some of the questions, but most of the paper should be fine.
Original post by Asklepios
Had a look at the CfE specimen paper - looks similar enough to the old advanced higher. Yeah you won't be able to do some of the questions, but most of the paper should be fine.

My teachers must just be idiots then because all they keep telling me is "there's no questions out there" for unit 1
How did you guys find the prelim? Personally I'm extremely thankful for that Cell Cycle essay haha, wasn't too keen on like 80% of the extended response questions though.
Original post by The999Theory
How did you guys find the prelim? Personally I'm extremely thankful for that Cell Cycle essay haha, wasn't too keen on like 80% of the extended response questions though.

Mind not everyone does the same prelim, and some schools that might do the same as yours may not have had there's yet. So don't talk about specific questions that came up!

How did u find the multiple choice?

Not done mine yet and it will probably be different?
Original post by Stone101
How did u find the multiple choice?

Which units did your prelim cover?
Also would you see it's easier or more difficult than specimen/exemplar papers?

Anyways, hope you done well, mine is next week :tongue:
Reply 88
Anyone know of any ethical considerations when using bacteria in an experiment? :s-smilie:
Original post by Zain-A
Not done mine yet and it will probably be different?

yeah i think it probably will be different, i know that my maths teacher wrote my schools prelim last year.
Which units did your prelim cover?
Also would you see it's easier or more difficult than specimen/exemplar papers?

Anyways, hope you done well, mine is next week :tongue:

eep i'm not sure if i should be sharing this or not but a huge chunk of it was problem solving, like quite a jump up from higher. If you take into consideration the fact that my grades fluctuate quite a bit i'd say that the prelim was pretty difficult :c

Spoiler

Also thank you very much!! I'm not too confident but again I'm hoping the essay went fairly okay haha, I was freaking out like a week before. Good luck!!
eep i'm not sure if i should be sharing this or not but a huge chunk of it was problem solving, like quite a jump up from higher. If you take into consideration the fact that my grades fluctuate quite a bit i'd say that the prelim was pretty difficult :c

Spoiler

Also thank you very much!! I'm not too confident but again I'm hoping the essay went fairly okay haha, I was freaking out like a week before. Good luck!!

Ah ok, I'm quite worried about it too...I hate problem solving questions they're my worst nightmare!
What I meant for your 'Units' was what units of the course did you cover before sitting your prelim as in my school we only covered unit 1 and a small part of unit 3.
( my prelim will probably be different from yours as my school is purchasing a custom paper from a company)

Edit: also don't stress about the results you get or let them put you down, I had horrendous prelim results last year and managed to turn it around completely. Prelims just show you areas you have to improve upon ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Just wondering on average, how many people would achieve an A in ah biology?
Last year, one out of ten people got an A for ah biology from my school
Original post by Junioh
Just wondering on average, how many people would achieve an A in ah biology?
Last year, one out of ten people got an A for ah biology from my school

I think the average across all subjects is usually around 20%. AH biology has a large number of candidates so I'd expect it to be no different.
What percentage is an A at advanced higher?
Original post by Asklepios
I think the average across all subjects is usually around 20%. AH biology has a large number of candidates so I'd expect it to be no different.

just googled the sqa statistics, you are right, 496/2425 people got an A last year.. 20.5% is that high?
Original post by Junioh
just googled the sqa statistics, you are right, 496/2425 people got an A last year.. 20.5% is that high?

They set the grade boundaries so that roughly 20% get As

Were there 2 options for the essay or was it just 1 option? And what was the essay out of do you remember?
But I'm sure you've done great
Just wondering, do you guys know if the summary notes for the AH biology course cover everything or is there more that we are supposed to know?
Thanks all :smile:
Just wondering, do you guys know if the summary notes for the AH biology course cover everything or is there more that we are supposed to know?
Thanks all :smile:

I feel like it's not ALL there in regards to questions you'd be asked in the exam but it gives you a good idea
It's just researching more about what they say in the sqa notes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending