qpzmwiocn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
what is the payback period in years and months?

Capital expenditure: £150,000

y1: +£35,000
y2: +£30,000
y3: +£30,000
y4: +£10,000
y5: -£25,000

cost of capital 10%
mature35
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure if theres enough information here to answer the question. As I understand it Payback Period is the amount of time it will take for an investment to be returned (how long it would take for the investment to generate enough profit to have equalled the amount that was originally paid for it). I'm guessing the figures you have quoted are the net cash flow for each year but you have not quoted the figure for the original investment. To work it out lets take a guess that the original investment was £100,000. In years 1-3 you can see that there has been a return of £95,000, leaving £5,000 to be repaid. If you take that £5,000 and divide it by the net cash flow for the next year (year 4, £10,000) then the result should be 0.5. Convert this into months by multiplying by 12, giving an answer of 6 months. Therefore the total payback period would be 3 years and 6 months. However you have also given a cost of capital figure of 10%, is this to be taken from the figure from each year? For a full answer I would need more info. Not sure if this is any help but if you need more then please just message the details.
mature35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry I see the capital expenditure of £150,000. theres still no answer as the total net cash flow for years 1-5 do not meet this figure so therefore the payback period is more than 5 years.
qpzmwiocn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by mature35)
Sorry I see the capital expenditure of £150,000. theres still no answer as the total net cash flow for years 1-5 do not meet this figure so therefore the payback period is more than 5 years.

The question says this investment is to have a "useful life of five years and the initial capital expenditure isn't expected to have any residual value for the company" would this mean I say the payback period is 5+ years?
mature35
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Was this an exam question? I would answer that the investment should not be made as whatever the investment is for, after 5 years (the total of its useful life) the cost of it would not be meet. Based on the figures given the cost of the investment would be £150,000 + 10% = £165,000. The total of the 5 years net cash flow = £80,000. Therefore the investment would still owe the business £85,000 at the end of its life. As there can be no further money earned from this investment then there can be no payback period as it is never paid back. Hope this helps.
MahmoodReza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Payback = time to recoup initial investment from cash flows, assuming year 1-5 = cash flows the total = $130,000 - payback n/a
DarkSenrine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The cost of capital relates to the discount factor which does not apply to payback calculations and do can be ignored.
Lemon Haze
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wtf are you doing, it's the holidays man.
MahmoodReza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a variation of the conventional payback calculation called 'discounted payback', cash flows are discounted at the relevant cost of capital - this helps overcome one of the limitations of conventional payback which ignores the time value of money
Re working through holidays - it's not hols for everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (173)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (516)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (393)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (489)
13.87%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (171)
4.85%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (214)
6.07%
Loneliness (300)
8.51%
Financial worries (129)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (140)
3.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (159)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (196)
5.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (317)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (328)
9.3%

Watched Threads