Describe two ways that white blood cells kill pathogens?

Watch this thread
IzzySuperman
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
One source told me:
A) phagocytes engulf the pathogen
B) lymphocytes produce antibodies that lock onto the pathogen so it cannot work.

Another said:
Lymphocytes produce antibodies that lock onto the antigens, then the phagocyte will engulf the pathogen.

What is the answer? And what are the 'two methods'?
Thank you!
Edosawr
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
You really just need to know that white blood cells produce antibodies. The white blood cells know which specific antibody to produce from recognising the antigen on a pathogen.

Lymphocytes produce antibodies.
Phagocytes engulf pathogens.

Both methods destroy/kill the pathogen.
Black Rose
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IzzySuperman)
One source told me:
A) phagocytes engulf the pathogen
B) lymphocytes produce antibodies that lock onto the pathogen so it cannot work.

Another said:
Lymphocytes produce antibodies that lock onto the antigens, then the phagocyte will engulf the pathogen.

What is the answer? And what are the 'two methods'?
Thank you!
This will expain it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7H8XsXagmo Skip to 0.50

Those are the two methods :yep:
IzzySuperman
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Edosawr)
You really just need to know that white blood cells produce antibodies. The white blood cells know which specific antibody to produce from recognising the antigen on a pathogen.

Lymphocytes produce antibodies.
Phagocytes engulf pathogens.

Both methods destroy/kill the pathogen.
Thanks, I think I've figured it all out now (I'm not the brightest in Bio!): the antibodies can bind to the pathogen and damage or kill it, or it can coat it, making them easier to digest by phagocytes
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There are 3, this is how I remember it

Some white blood cells ingest pathogens , destroying them so they can't make you Ill

Some white blood cells produce antitoxins. These counteract the toxins produced by pathogens.

Some white blood cells produce antibodies. These target particular viruses or bacteria and destroy them( the antigens) your memory cells remember the particular pathogen and antibodies can be made a lot more quickly to destroy the pathogen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (78)
18.89%
The paper was reasonable (154)
37.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
28.33%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
15.5%

Watched Threads