Roxy Baroque
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my partner wants to apply for veterinary medicine as a second degree - but we've been out of uni for a few years so I wanted to ask you lot as you'll know more than me!

He graduated from Newcastle in 2011 with a third in Chemistry with medicinal chemistry - with no submitted extenuating circumstances.
Before that he got AAB (chem, bio, psych) at a level

His family ran an animal sanctuary, but it shut 10 years ago. He knows he'll need more work experience than that - but how many weeks are we talking? He also works full time as a recruiter.

And financially how much are we talking??

Does he have a chance? Does anyone have any success stories/advice?

I bow to your collective superior knowedge!
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check the university websites for postgraduate entry requirements. The universities in the UK that offer the course are the Royal Veterinary College (London), Edinburgh, Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham, Glasgow, Surrey and Cambridge. I believe that most want a 2:1 for entry onto the accelerated postgraduate course (four years instead of five). If he were to go for the five year course I think they'd look at his A-Levels (and possibly GCSEs) instead, in which case that might discount him from most universities as all but Nottingham ask for at least AAA. Is resitting psychology an option? If so, I'd suggest doing so ASAP (i.e. from this September) as he may be able to bump his grade up by just redoing a couple of modules, but from next year the course is changing to become linear.

Work experience wise: Liverpool want a minimum of ten weeks (four in vet clinics, six in various animal husbandry placements), while Cambridge have no formal requirements. The others fall in between these having around 4-6 weeks as their requirement but people go far above the minimum. 15-20+ weeks isn't unusual and there are people with a lot more than that, especially considering that many applicants take (multiple) gap years before getting in. Unfortunately your partner's work at the animal sanctuary is unlikley to count as it was so long ago (plus it would be hard to quantify into weeks and they want you to do experience away from places owned by family)

Finance will depend on where your partner studies. Tuition fees vary between 9k and 30k per year.

Hope that helped a bit. I'm really not the most qualified person to comment since I'm going undergrad so if anyone else comes along take their word over mine!

Best of luck!
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roxy Baroque)
So my partner wants to apply for veterinary medicine as a second degree - but we've been out of uni for a few years so I wanted to ask you lot as you'll know more than me!

He graduated from Newcastle in 2011 with a third in Chemistry with medicinal chemistry - with no submitted extenuating circumstances.

His family ran an animal sanctuary, but it shut 10 years ago. He knows he'll need more work experience than that - but how many weeks are we talking? He also works full time as a recruiter.

Most vet schools require a 2:1 but take a look online for entry requirements to see if your partner would meet them.

To get into vet school I would recommend 10+ weeks of recent work exp (1 week = 5days) in a variety of vet environments (e.g small animal practice, large animal practice) and husbandry environments too (kennels/cattery, dairy, lambing, equine etc). The more the better but this is the advise I'd give to people coming straight from school. Perhaps the unis will be more lenient considering your partner has a full time job - I'd contact the unis individually perhaps to ask.

Financially you won't get a tuition fee loan for a 2nd degree so you're looking at £9k+ a year for 4-5 years (RVC do an accelated course) depending on which vet school you're looking at. I think Edinburgh charge up to £20k a year! On top of that there is limited time to work during the course, and the cost of getting to placements during your "vacation" time can be a burden as most will not pay you and going to placements precludes you form working full time over the summer. There are also costs associated with equipment/work wear.

Other options which may have more lenient entry requirements include possibly going abroad (but which would have to be self funded usually).

Hope that gives you a starting point!
Roxy Baroque
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks guys! I'll pass all of this on to him - especially about the psychology-as I think he wants to aim for the 5 year. I did grad dentistry - so I have some knowledge of work experience related things....but requirements for you guys are insane! I salute all of you!

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Realistically he doesn't stand a chance.

Vet schools accepting graduates want a minimum of a 2i. They don't make exceptions.

And there is no automatic funding for graduates doing Vet as a second undergrad degree - you would have to fund the fees yourself (minimum of £45,000) and the bulk of your living expenses for 5 years.
oj123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a second degree student going into my third year. It seems that the uni I am at takes a levels seriously and wants good a level grades almost more than a degree. If you are in doubt I would contact the uni directly and get an answer straight from the horses mouth.

If you do not have the requirements some of the unis have other entry routes but I am unsure if these will accept second degree applicants.

Good luck 😄
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roxy Baroque)

Hey,

I'm a graduate vet student, so I can pretty much answer all your questions ha.
ALL the universities require a 2:1 at degree level. Anything less than a 2:1 you're highly unlikely to be considered. They do not care about your a levels more than the degree, they care about both, and as far as I remember every university says nothing below a 2:1 will be accepted.
Surrey will not even look at applications with grades below the entry requirements. Edinburgh won't accept anything less than a 2:1, and they look at degree transcripts when deciding who to call for interview. I think the best option for him is to ring up the universities and ask them what his chances of getting a place are with a third, but unfortunately I think they are slim due to it being a third, not a 2:2.
Weeks wise it's best to check the university requirements. Applicants at Liverpool have on average 18+ weeks when they apply these days. But it's not all about quantity, different placements and a wide variety are just as good as having 30 odd weeks in just a few areas!

Cost wise, Liverpool, rvc, Bristol and Nottingham charge £9000 a year. This has to be funded entirely yourself. You will get a maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan. Edinburgh is the most expensive, at around £20,000 a year, so it's pretty steep to go there!

I gained my place at Liverpool a year after graduating. I got a 2:1 though. Edinburgh wouldn't even look at my application because on my transcript, some of my exam results were 40% some were 60% and they felt I wasn't consistent enough despite having the degree classification they asked for.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (418)
43.82%
No (99)
10.38%
I'm not old enough (437)
45.81%

Watched Threads