The Student Room Group

DSA Eligibility HELP?!?!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dipka
With the fact that I'm doing a outdoor course, do they not have Duty of care to like not take me somewhere miles from a hospital then decide I should run up some hill, and I don't have my inhaler? Not sure they will be willing to let that happen...
If they do then I'll probably end up in hospital a lot. :frown: And because of my disability I can't go alone, what would they do then?
Your right, it is a scary thing. How do I get alarms or automated memos?

Social Services are rubbish, I've been trying now 3 months to get them to give me a reassessment, because my situation is changing when I go to uni in September, still not contacted me. Ive accepted it's not going to happen.
No idea what my options are either.

yep. SS won't do anything!

You'll be an adult. They have no duty of care at all. They provide the education and it's your responsibility to take your meds and assess situations to keep yourself safe. Nobody will sit with you in the hospital because it isn't their job. They aren't there to remind you about medications. Set an alarm on your phone or carry a med alarm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
They don't need to give it to me, just make sure I do it.
No forms sounds great actually! I always have such a issue fitting my large list of conditions and medicines in the tiny boxes on forms (I gave up, made a word document to print out each time I am asked now). But because of the subject I imagine they will want the forms.

I think your right, and that's what I mean really-most people would get me to a hospital if needed, even if they don't have to.

Yeh, I have 2 inhalers, one's in morning and evening the other I have to carry around with me all the time. I don't have a problem with the morning and night one really, I have loads of stuff to do then and have lists of what I do at what time, I just struggle with anything that's in the day really, it's not just a blue inhaler when needed there is others too but the day is what I find difficult.

That's a good idea of having more than 1-was the GP and pharmacy okay to give you 3? Mine's quite strict and don't re prescribe something unless you have less than 4 days remaining from the last amount. only exception is If I'm going away, then they will give me enough for that. So, i doubt they would give me more than 1 at once, although I do have a new 'spare' one as many organisations I do things with require a spare of any emergency medicine (like inhaler, epi pen, insulin etc..) Only issue with this is that my inhalers all need to be used with a spacer, and they would only give me one of those. no idea how well it would work without the spacer but thankfully I have never needed to test it! But I can't push the inhaler and breathe in long enough all together, so I need the spacer so I can just do 3-4 breaths. So would they give me more of these too?

Well my gp in wales gave me spare inhalers quite happily. Since moving to england and having to pay for prescriptions the nurse hasnt said no to letting me have a spare or no to anything for that matter, i have it on repeat so no problems getting a new one if anything is lost.
I don't use a spacer as I changed to a powder inhaler last year, so much easier for me to use than the aerosol type. If you cant push it in together and breathe in an use the space well in an emergency then you should tell a doctor/nurse that and they may give you a different type. No use having an inhaler that you struggle to use. Especially if you have to pay for things no harm in asking for an extra spacer you never know.
Reply 22
Original post by ParadoxSocks
You'll be an adult. They have no duty of care at all. They provide the education and it's your responsibility to take your meds and assess situations to keep yourself safe. Nobody will sit with you in the hospital because it isn't their job. They aren't there to remind you about medications. Set an alarm on your phone or carry a med alarm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If only it was that easy :frown: So worried about going to uni now.

Original post by claireestelle
Well my gp in wales gave me spare inhalers quite happily. Since moving to england and having to pay for prescriptions the nurse hasnt said no to letting me have a spare or no to anything for that matter, i have it on repeat so no problems getting a new one if anything is lost.
I don't use a spacer as I changed to a powder inhaler last year, so much easier for me to use than the aerosol type. If you cant push it in together and breathe in an use the space well in an emergency then you should tell a doctor/nurse that and they may give you a different type. No use having an inhaler that you struggle to use. Especially if you have to pay for things no harm in asking for an extra spacer you never know.

These are all interesting questions, I've got a review next week, cos I'm doing DofE and they want me to have one before assessment after I struggled on training, also hoping I can sort it out for uni at the same time.
I don't pay for prescriptions, so I guess it's up to them if they will give me more or not, but all I can do is ask. Probably need to write that down..
The important thing is probably if it works efficiently though, rather than how easy it is to use, it's taken me ages to get medicine that woks effectively like I have now, and every time I get an infection and they increase the dose I think it seems to make it worse for about 3 days before it stats to improve, so i don't like changing inhalers. Last infection I had to go to the out of hours, who never said (because they don't know me) to use the higher dose, just had a antibiotic. So took that and it was basically cleared in less than 2 weeks, so I am starting to think that changing inhalers makes it worse.
What's the powder type you use like though? Is it a different medicine or just in a different format that's easier to use?
Original post by dipka

These are all interesting questions, I've got a review next week, cos I'm doing DofE and they want me to have one before assessment after I struggled on training, also hoping I can sort it out for uni at the same time.
I don't pay for prescriptions, so I guess it's up to them if they will give me more or not, but all I can do is ask. Probably need to write that down..
The important thing is probably if it works efficiently though, rather than how easy it is to use, it's taken me ages to get medicine that woks effectively like I have now, and every time I get an infection and they increase the dose I think it seems to make it worse for about 3 days before it stats to improve, so i don't like changing inhalers. Last infection I had to go to the out of hours, who never said (because they don't know me) to use the higher dose, just had a antibiotic. So took that and it was basically cleared in less than 2 weeks, so I am starting to think that changing inhalers makes it worse.
What's the powder type you use like though? Is it a different medicine or just in a different format that's easier to use?

It's just a different format per say, my preventer is a slight different drug to what I use to have but my relievers have always been one of two drugs. All you do with powders is you can keep inhaling till you suck it all in , difficult to explain but I did struggle with the aerosol type for years, being dyspraxic didn't help but powders I have no trouble using and no coordination in it really, I ve gotten much better on them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dipka

I know how daunting it is going to uni without that support you're used to. Maybe start practicing now and then once you're at uni make it part of your routine to check you have what you need for the day.

You can use alarms, reminders and can ask for additional inhalers. Maybe keep one in your outdoorsy bag so you always have one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, how are you going cope at work, etc? People will help you, but they're not there to look after you. You're avn adult now.
Reply 26
Original post by dipka

If you think about it, you're going to have to manage your own health at some point - sooner rather than later. You can't stay static and live as a late teenager for the rest of your life. If you don't go to uni you'll have to get a job - and an employer won't help you remember to take meds. I know it doesn't feel like it at the mo, but you'll want to leave home at some point.

You need to get used to functioning and keeping yourself as healthy as possible, away from the safety of home and the adults who look after things for you. I think the idea of practising is a good one. Talk to the person who currently takes charge and ask them to help you develop techniques for remembering meds.

You have an accelerated version of The Fear because of your health problems, but the vast majority of new undergrads will have worries about leaving home and functioning as an independent person for the first time. It's a necessary step, but you really do need to make it. You'll be amazed at what you can do when you put your mind to it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by claireestelle
It's just a different format per say, my preventer is a slight different drug to what I use to have but my relievers have always been one of two drugs. All you do with powders is you can keep inhaling till you suck it all in , difficult to explain but I did struggle with the aerosol type for years, being dyspraxic didn't help but powders I have no trouble using and no coordination in it really, I ve gotten much better on them.

That's good to hear. I will ask the nurse about it, thank's for the idea:smile:

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I know how daunting it is going to uni without that support you're used to. Maybe start practicing now and then once you're at uni make it part of your routine to check you have what you need for the day.

You can use alarms, reminders and can ask for additional inhalers. Maybe keep one in your outdoorsy bag so you always have one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's similar to what claireestelle said, and yes I am hoping I will be able to get spares for different places, sounds like a good idea.

Original post by OU Student
So, how are you going cope at work, etc? People will help you, but they're not there to look after you. You're avn adult now.

Probably won't ever get a job.

Original post by Klix88
If you think about it, you're going to have to manage your own health at some point - sooner rather than later. You can't stay static and live as a late teenager for the rest of your life. If you don't go to uni you'll have to get a job - and an employer won't help you remember to take meds. I know it doesn't feel like it at the mo, but you'll want to leave home at some point.

You need to get used to functioning and keeping yourself as healthy as possible, away from the safety of home and the adults who look after things for you. I think the idea of practising is a good one. Talk to the person who currently takes charge and ask them to help you develop techniques for remembering meds.

You have an accelerated version of The Fear because of your health problems, but the vast majority of new undergrads will have worries about leaving home and functioning as an independent person for the first time. It's a necessary step, but you really do need to make it. You'll be amazed at what you can do when you put your mind to it.

I've got a disability too-which makes things like organizing and remembering stuff hard. That and many other things.
I am getting help with living in halls, so they can help me do the morning and evening ones, or hopefully help me get some kind of system. Because of lack of money I can't get much hours a week from them, so it's going to be a struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest