The Student Room Group

Is this job worth quitting

I just got a job as a door-to-door salesman. I think I was quite out of my head at the time but I really don't want to do it. I begin on Thursday and I already really want to quit.

I don't get paid a base salary. I only get paid for the products I sell and the products they want me to sell are awful products at about £3 each and I get 20% of that. Thing is I don't even have my products with me, I have to give the customer a catalogue and then they sign a contract for me to give to my regional manager so I can collect it from them and hand it to the customers about a week later
Original post by lllllllllll
I just got a job as a door-to-door salesman. I think I was quite out of my head at the time but I really don't want to do it. I begin on Thursday and I already really want to quit.

I don't get paid a base salary. I only get paid for the products I sell and the products they want me to sell are awful products at about £3 each and I get 20% of that. Thing is I don't even have my products with me, I have to give the customer a catalogue and then they sign a contract for me to give to my regional manager so I can collect it from them and hand it to the customers about a week later

it sounds dreadful if you don't like people but please give it a shot before you decide anything. Think about how much you need this and how it can get better once you get used to it. And be thankful you have something. And perhaps tell people how you managed to get it as many people here and guest readers might like to know how to get something.

Yes, quit it. Those aren't even jobs, they're incredibly tedious and you will earn absolutely nothing from doing it. Don't do it
I remember I was walking home one time and a bloke approached me asking about a fitness program. I tried to walk passed him but he desperately plead for me to come back and hear him out. So I did. But then he started to bore me and then told me reeling out all his words to write my name down, my number and email and I didn't want to. So he looked at me and almost threateningly commanded me to do it, like "Come on. Just put it down." I kid you not. So I gave him an eyebrow and walked away but he dragged along my shoulder so I just whipped round and gave him a fake name and said I didn't have a phone. Like don't be rude and annoying basically.
Original post by bailfire
Yes, quit it. Those aren't even jobs, they're incredibly tedious and you will earn absolutely nothing from doing it. Don't do it

how dare you tell him that? You don't know what his situation is. Maybe he just needs to man up and do it so he can pay his bills?

If you dont' want it OP pass it to someone who needs something :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
Original post by Man.bear.pig
how dare you tell him that? You don't know what his situation is. Maybe he just needs to man up and do it so he can pay his bills?

LOOL, the **** do you mean how dare I tell him that? I can tell him whatever the **** I want - up to him whether he listens or not. I've tried doing that job, when I was getting my first car I was desperate for a little more money. Couldn't wait for a proper job so I took one of these door to door jobs. It was ****ing terrible, I got cursed at, got into a physical fight once with one guy and even had the police called on me because I was on "private property and harassing them". This job is ****ing pointless, the guy will be going to hundreds of doors without a single sale, and on the 1/100 chance he gets a sale - he gets to keep 20% of £3? The ****? You would earn more begging for money outside a train station
I don't know, I haven't worked in that area so don't know what it's like. It depends on if you feel like you need a job at the moment. Assuming you do, I'd say stick to the job but keep your eye out for new ones you think you'll enjoy and won't get fed up of quickly. I applied for a new job 2 months after starting the one I just finished but it took months for pre-employment checks to become complete so worked out quite well in that it won't look too bad on my CV as I ended up doing my old job for a while, plus both jobs are in healthcare which is what I enjoy and want experience in. I think that the way it will all look on your CV and in the future is something you need to consider x
Thanks guys, I guess I'll do the first few days out of interest :smile:

EDIT: I may just stick with this until I find another one
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh my feces! I fricken hate sales people trying to sell their junk to me. I even more hate payment by commision. Get the hell outta there. Find a job, even if it only pays minimum wage you will still make more.
Thanks guys, I guess I'll do the first few days out of interest :smile:

EDIT: I may just stick with this until I find another one

yea see how it works out, save whatever you make, don't stress it too much and then once you've made some money to hold yourself up, whilst employed, look for something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending