The Student Room Group

Would braces/ jaw surgery still be free at 17

A few years ago I was offered braces with the NHS to correct my massive overbite, and the dentist mentioned jaw surgery. I didn't have them at the time due to other commitments, but I have just turned 17 and decided I want them. I know the NHS do dental work for free if you are under the age of 18, so I was wondering if mine would still be free even though the treatment would take a few years. Free NHS treatment would be the only way of me getting braces.

So basically wondering if anyone has had braces/ jaw surgery at 17, with treatment taking them over 18??
Theres a huge waiting list, if you still qualify - I suggest you hurry up and see if you can get it done ASAP. Not sure what happens if you are on the waiting list when you turn 18, you may get removed but get it checked as soon as possible
I got mine when I was 17, turned 18 in february and the treatment is still free and will remain free. Get the treatment free whilst you still can!
I should add that the waiting list for me was around 2 months, but it may vary depending on where you live.

Too bawse for you, sir.
(edited 8 years ago)
I started the whole process at 18 and had the operation at 22. There's no age limit really, I've seen some people who look 30+ being seen by orthodonists and surgeons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me I am 18 and I am not in no education at all do I have to pay for braces or would I get them for free
if you are 18 or older you have to pay

Quick Reply

Latest